Beth Stern's 'Spoiled Rotten Pets'...By David Hinckley

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    David Hinckley....Stern has a love hate thing with him.
    Loves him when he writes amazing things
    Hates him when he writes non amazing things
    :coffee:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...d-rotten-pets-animal-lovers-article-1.1311936

By David Hinckley / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Beth Stern's 'Spoiled Rotten Pets' will take a good-humored look at how much we love our cats, dogs ... and pigs
    The host of the Nat Geo Wild series, premiering April 20, is a life-long animal lover whose family called their shelter dogs 'muttigrees.'
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beth Stern’s “Spoiled Rotten Pets†hasn’t even gone on the air yet, and already the lines are forming.

“As soon as people heard what I was doing,†Stern says, “they started coming up to me and telling me about how they spoil their own pets, and why I should do their story on the show.â€

Stern finds it all good-humored and amusing. Now. That could change once “Spoiled Rotten Pets†premieres Saturday night at 9 on Nat Geo Wild.

The furry little secret behind this show is that spoiling pets isn’t the exception. It’s an American way of life.

“Spoiled Rotten Pets†isn’t just about people who feed their cats on store-bought roast chicken or let their dogs sleep on the bed.

This is a show about people who keep lizards and snakes and ferrets and turtles. It’s about people who hold wedding ceremonies for their dogs and put diapers on their ducks so the ducks can walk around in the house.

It’s a show where, on the first episode, the host kisses a pig.

“My husband,†Stern muses, “may kill me when he sees that one.â€

Her husband, for those who haven’t been keeping up, is radio personality Howard Stern — who is not known for maintaining discreet silence if he has an opinion about something.

In truth, though, Beth adds, “Howard is great about animals. He loves them, too, and he’s been totally supportive about what I’m doing.â€

She has also been an animal advocate for what she says is basically her whole life.

“When I was growing up, we always had a dog and two cats and all the rest, like guinea pigs,†she says. “Our dogs were shelter dogs — muttigrees, we called them.

“My mom would show me how to feed them and take care of them.â€

And were they spoiled rotten?

“I don’t think we thought of them as spoiled,†she says. “They were just part of the family.â€

More recently, Stern has been a spokeswoman for the North Shore Animal League. So when Nat Geo Wild came knocking with this idea for a show, she says, she had “zero†hesitation.

“I couldn’t believe it,†she says. “It’s a channel I already watch all the time, so all I could think was how much fun would this be.â€

While the show’s title suggests pulling back the curtain on some tiny group of people who have lost all perspective, she says that’s not how her subjects will come off.

“I think most of us spoil our pets in some way,†she says, “and I don’t think most of us see anything wrong or unusual about it.â€

On Saturday’s opening episode, Stern visits a couple who own two pigs. More specifically, they own two rescue pigs that were given up by their earlier owner when they grew out of the small-and-cute stage.

That’s a problem with pigs,†says Stern. “They grow big, and a lot of people aren’t ready for it.â€

Their current owners were. In fact, they’re so devoted to “the girls†that Stern’s mission in this segment is persuading them to spend one night alone.

This isn’t exactly an exercise in trauma or survivalism for the pigs, who are driven to a pig spa where they get a bath and a spritz of pig cologne. They also get a facial with a toothbrush. Nothing like a good exfoliation to make a pig feel brand-new.

Stern says she liked the people, but it was the pigs that really impressed her.

“They’re so smart,†she says. “After this I can’t even look at bacon.â€

She says she was a little hesitant at first about filming the dog wedding ceremony, which was held in New York and involved multiple “couples.â€

“I don’t want to do anything that might seem like I’m making fun of anyone,†she says. “I don’t want anyone to look silly or frivolous.

“But when they explained this ceremony to me, that it’s all rescue dogs and it’s a way of raising money for rescue awareness, it felt fun and kind of sweet.â€

The Sterns themselves are between pets at the moment. Their English bulldog died last summer, “which was very hard,†and she says that perhaps thanks in part to this show, she’s just starting to come around.

“I got up one morning just last week and said, I think I’m ready,†she says. “But Howard said he’s not quite there yet. When he is, we’ll go to a rescue.â€

Meanwhile, Stern says, she has already gotten more than enough leads to do more episodes if the first run is a success.

Most of her subjects so far are in the Northeast, and she’d love to branch out to places where people spoil even more kinds of pets.

“It’s really a show about how much people love their animals,†she says. “I think even people who don’t have pets can appreciate it.â€

There are pretty much only two kinds of stories you won’t see on “Spoiled Rotten Pets.â€

“I wouldn’t do shows on people who own animals like big cats, because I don’t think they belong in captivity that way,†Stern says. “They belong on preserves or in the wild.â€

As for the other thing she won’t be doing, well, that has a little backstory.

“We were having dinner one night at the house of one of Howard’s business associates,†she recounts. “They had a large, lovely home, and I asked if they would give us a tour.

“We got to the first big room and there was a cat curled up on the sofa, just bathed in the sunlight. And I thought, well, that’s nice.

“We got to the next room and there was another sofa and another cat, curled up asleep.

“So I went over to pet it. And that’s when I relized it was stuffed. They had taken all their cats who died over the years and had them stuffed and placed around the house.

“I love my pets sometimes more than life itself, but that’s where I draw a line. Howard couldn’t get me out of there fast enough.â€

Show her a happy home where the owners peel grapes for their basset hound, though, and she could stay there all day.

Just like the rest of us.

2. MrWarmth

MrWarmth ADORABLE DEPLORABLE Gold

Reputations:
    Her family called their pets "muttigrees" but her father was called "the defendant"

:rs:

3. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    "After this I can't even look at bacon"

And your old man, in this case your husband, will be bringing home a lot less too, sweetheart.

About 300 MILLION less! BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :jj:

You fried up cunt :coffee:

4. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Howard made a living trashing trophy wives who dared to put a sweater on their Pomeranian....:jj:

5. Engaged Chicken

Engaged Chicken VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    “I wouldn’t do shows on people who own animals like big cats, because I don’t think they belong in captivity that way,” Stern says. “They belong on preserves or in the wild.”[​IMG]

6. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Beth in studio guest this week?
    :coffee:

7. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    "If the first run is a success"

Holy crap. She needs to look up the term "pipe dream"

8. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    Nat Geo Wild came knocking. Yes. AFTER they got Howard's check. People don't need to come up to her with stories. They need to come up to her with baseball bats and bash in her empty fucking head

9. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    I can't read the while thing. It's a never-ending ass-lathering.

And Beth is just so dumb it's mind boggling.

10. Bye You!

Reputations:
    Yes, this.

11. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    Crowbar husband in: Check

12. Bye You!

Reputations:
    In case you haven't been paying attention...:coffee:

And bimbo, your husband already flipped out about his "sex object" kissing a pig.

What a nice thing to call your wife.

13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    This is must see TV for the peasants.
    A Pomeranian on a a private plane noshing on Foie gras....heading to a duck wedding.....:facepalm:

14. Wigless

Wigless Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Most of her subjects so far are in the Northeast, and she’d love to branch out to places where people spoil even more kinds of pets." She wants to get away from the Wig.

15. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    I have more respect at this point for JOHN Hinckley. Wonder how much he got for this piece of shit yellow journalism.

16. MrWarmth

Reputations:
    She just said, "My husband"....not the usual "My Husband, Howard Stern"

Must be trouble in Chimneyland.

17. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476916/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
    A couple of people involved in Beths show were also involved in Kathy Griffins show. Griffin was on the Stern show many times plugging that shit show.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...-furry-friends-in-spoiled-rotten-pets/171418/
    Spoiled Rotten Pets is produced for Nat Geo WILD by Picture This Television. For Picture This Television, executive producers are Bryan Scott and Lisa M. Tucker. Co-executive producer is Elaine Kavanagh. For Nat Geo WILD, executive producer is Jenny Apostol; senior vice president of development and production is Janet Han Vissering; and executive vice president and general manager is Geoff Daniels.

18. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    This whole Beth-hosted show premise is a crock. If not for "my husband" she'd be a cocktail waitress at somewhere like the Palace Station Hotel off the Vegas strip and moonlighting on her back. Sheesh.

19. Rufus

Rufus Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    When the new season of "Mom Caves" start?

20. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    I am sure Buchwald approached them, etc.