'Better Call Saul,' The Prequel To 'Breaking Bad,' Is As Good As The First

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by EndOfLine, Feb 4, 2015.

1. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    Hell yeah!

[​IMG]

'Better Call Saul,' The Prequel To 'Breaking Bad,' Is As Good As The First

I'm guessing that the first thing fans of Vince Gilligan's Breaking Bad want to know is whether its AMC prequel series, Better Call Saul, premiering Sunday and Monday,is anywhere near as good as the original — which was TV at its very best. And I'm also guessing that people who haven't yet worked their way through Breaking Bad — and, really, by now, why haven't you? — are wondering whether they can enjoy this new series without having absorbed the old one.

So let me announce with enthusiasm at the outset: yes and yes. Better Call Saul not only stands right alongside Breaking Bad as a stunningly entertaining TV series, it stands on its own. Oh, if you know Breaking Bad well, you'll love some of the surprise treats and appearances heading your way — but even if you're a complete stranger to the character played by Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul, you're in for a great ride.Better Call Saul has the same tight plots, rich characters and delicious twists as its parent series. Yet Better Call Saul isn't a reboot; it's a preboot.

Jonathan Banks (left) plays Mike Ehrmantraut, a former cop and a hit man, on the new series. He often carries out illegal instructions from Saul Goodman (right, played by Bob Odenkirk).

Ben Leuner/Courtesy of AMC
    There are two stylistic choices in this opening scene that ought to sell viewers on Better Call Saul immediately. One is that this scene, set in the "current" timeline after the end of Breaking Bad, is in black and white — that's how bleak Saul's new life is. And for this new show's first seven minutes, Saul doesn't say a word. Not one. This guy who lived and prospered with his gift of gab, like a courtroom Sgt. Bilko, is completely silent for what in TV terms is an eternity. It's only when he goes home, pours a drink, gets bored watching television and slides an old videocassette into his VCR to watch a series of his vintage TV ads that we hear his voice for the first time. The older Saul listens and watches wistfully, as director Gilligan closes in on his weary face.

After that, the series flashes back to 2002, long before those ads were produced, when the future Saul Goodman was still a hustling attorney named Jimmy McGill. Now the show switches to color — a reversal of the usual cinema dynamic of color for the present and black-and-white for the pastand Better Call Saul really takes off.

I'm determined not to spoil any surprises here, but in the first hour alone, there's one that made me smile and another that made me gasp. And it shouldn't be surprising, given how Gilligan cast Malcolm in the Middlesitcom actor Bryan Cranston and allowed him to blossom as the Emmy-winning dramatic actor of Breaking Bad,that comic actor Bob Odenkirk is given such weight and responsibility here. But he is, and Odenkirk is thrilling — another brilliant, genre-crossing role from another gifted actor.

There are plenty of funny moments in Better Call Saul —and, at least in the opening episode, some very overt stylistic nods to a few classic films from the '70s. But there's drama and darkness, too — even though we know Jimmy McGill will survive the flashbacks in this series, there's still a lot of tension — and watching him transform is going to be a blast.

http://www.npr.org/2015/02/04/38378...ign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150204

2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    fucking can't wait

3. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Good to see, I honestly had my doubts about that character as the lead in a one-hour show.

4. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    Is Cranston in the show? Not that it makes much difference, i'm still tuning in, but just wondering..

5. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    I don't know what to do with all this salad and scrambled eggs.

6. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm so hard, a cat couldn't scratch it.

EndOfLine and chapped like this.
  7. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    :bounce:

8. Murcielago

Reputations:
    Reports are no cameos from either Mr. White or Jesse in season one. Jesse would still be in high school when the show takes place.

EndOfLine and broccoli rob like this.
  9. broccoli rob

broccoli rob thanks for the memories DW3

Reputations:
    cool, thanks for the timeline

10. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    Heard this on the radio today. Sounds like the series will be fun and funny. Can't wait - oh my lord this is quite the tenses!!!

Blur likes this.
  11. Murcielago

Reputations:
    Another good review of the premier:

'Breaking Bad' Fans Will Love 'Better Call Saul'

http://www.businessinsider.com/better-call-saul-review-2015-1

Press kit for the show:
    http://www.businessinsider.com/vince-gilligan-better-call-saul-letter-2015-1

Includes this letter from the creators:

Welcome to the world of James M. McGill, Esq.

For viewers of Breaking Bad, there's much that will be familiar in this series: the bright Albuquerque skies, the dark humor, and -- most of all -- the passion and devotion to detail from cast and crew.

Having said that, Better Call Saul is a brand new show. We're telling a different story here -- one with its own rhythm, its own look, its own tone. We're excited to share it with you.

This show has been a crazy ride for us. The character of Jimmy McGill has taken us places we never expected. Jimmy's not yet Saul Goodman: he's his own man, and he's messy and struggling and still finding himself. One day he'll transform into Albuquerque's favorite criminal lawyer, but right now he's a more or less law-abiding underdog on the bottom rung of the legal system.

We're loving every moment of Bob Odenkirk's deeply human performance as unstoppable, inventive Jimmy races through an ethical slalom course, trying to make a name for himself.

We hope you enjoy it.

Vince & Peter

[​IMG]
    Peter Gould and Vince Gilligan on set of "Better Call Saul."

12. N Copter

N Copter Shot Dead Banned User

Reputations:
    I very, very much hope so.

I think it will suck just by law of averages. Most TV shows suck. But I'm going into it very open minded. I want to like it.

I can't imagine it can be as good as Breaking Bad but I never thought I would say that any show was better than The Sopranos.

13. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Sounds like it could be good. But also sounds like we're getting cheated out of 7 minutes in the first episode. He doesn't talk for 7 minutes? How artistic. And annoying. We'll see if they somehow pull it off.

14. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Awesome!

Cannot wait, I had my doubts when I first heard about it but now I'm really excited!

15. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

EndOfLine likes this.
  16. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Good to see Mike will be back.. also I hope that smoking hot Jane comes back!

[​IMG]

Beth Onostrosky and Guacamole like this.
  17. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Almost here!

[​IMG]