Sports biggest underdog 5000-1

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JesusTwinsBiggestFan, Feb 12, 2016.

1. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    THE LONGEST SHOTS

Premier League leader Leicester City entered the season as a 5,000-1 underdog -- the same chance as a bet on Elvis being alive -- which is why the English soccer team could become the undisputed champion of beating the odds. The premier league has only had 5 champions in the last 20+ years, one of those was a one off meaning one team only won it once. Leicester city was picked to get relegated to a lower division by most analyst( 3 teams with worst record get sent down to lower division, top 3 teams from lower division move up). a movie script has already started for these incredible underdogs

Leicester City sits atop the Premier League by five points with 13 games left in a 38-game season as it heads into a pivotal match on Sunday against perennial power Arsenal. If the previous sentence doesn't mean anything to you, imagine if the Philadelphia 76ers were the top team in today's NBA standings or the Cleveland Browns had the NFL's best record heading into Week 12.

Even those comparisons might not do justice to the performance Leicester City has produced in 2015-16. Not only did the Foxes have a 13-game winless run last season, they were only six points from being relegated to a lower level of competition. Leicester City wasn't even in the Premier League two years ago. The club earned promotion to England's top soccer league starting in the 2014-15 season for the first time in 10 years.

[​IMG]

William Hill, an England-based bookmaker, had the Foxes as 5,000-1 long shots to win the Premier League before this season. If they hold on to claim the title, it would be the biggest upset in sports history, according to William Hill press officer Joe Crilly. (The Westgate Las Vegas SuperBook had given Leicester City 2,500-1 odds to win the Premier League. The 76ers, by comparison, had 200-1 odds to win this season's NBA title coming off an 18-64 season.)

There is no previous example of an underdog the likes of Leicester City beating odds as long as 5,000-1. There have been a few 100-1 or longer shots that either shockingly came through or fell tantalizingly short

2. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Claudio Ranieri was coaching Greece and I thought at his age he was done with club football. It's amazing how he got a Premier League job after that and has succeeded.

Big Bad Booey likes this.
  3. austin54

austin54 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Is there a new Coach or GM? Some big draft class? They don't explain why they're winning, just that they are. Is Barry Bonds hanging out there?

Cool to read about and I find the relegation format interesting.

4. DDragon

DDragon VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    There's no ' draft class' They sign these players when they are children and also buy them from other teams.

JesusTwinsBiggestFan likes this.
  5. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

Reputations:
    they dont draft. clubs have a youth program and the best ones eventually make it to the main team. the richest teams in soccer just buy players because there is no salary cap. relegation is something i wish american sports would do. you cant "tank' because you wont be in the highest level of competition anymore which means you will lose tons of money. they dont trade players. every team puts a value on their players. so you can buy another teams players if you are willing to meet their demands. so baically the best teams buy the best players from all the smaller teams

wiggerman likes this.
  6. Mr Cachexic

Mr Cachexic Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    dont know shit about soccer but this is pretty cool nonetheless

they either have the gregg popovich of futbol or a sensational defense im assuming....

7. Rahm2015

Rahm2015 Effortlessly Destroying Confirmed Internet Legends Gold

Reputations:
    I started following the BPL last year and by the time Christmas rolled around I decided to follow Leicester City.
    They were at the bottom of the table but showed a never say die attitude even when they went on that long losing streak.

Not having a lot of experience with European soccer leagues I was fascinated by the relegation battles and started following the bottom teams more closely than Chelsea and the clubs fighting for a Champions league berth.
    That second to last game of the year in the Spring when Leicester made it all the way back was one of the coolest moments I've seen in sports in some time.

Fast forward to this year and as much as I was anticipating the start of the season, I remember the preview show on NBCSN where just about everyone predicted that Leicester would get sent down this season.
    Capping it off with last week's amazing away victory, I can honestly say this BPL season has been more entertaining for me than the NFL season was this year (and the NFL was pretty exciting).

I still don't think the Foxes will be able to finish this off, but I'll be up at 6:00am this Sunday hoping for at least a draw against Arsenal.
    If they do pull off this and win the title, I agree with the columnists that it would be the biggest upset in sports history.

I'm just glad I stumbled on to NBCSN one Saturday morning back in August of 2014 as I now understand what the rest of the world has known for seemingly forever.
    Soccer is an amazing sport.

Big Bad Booey, Xent, wr118 and 2 others like this.
  8. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

Reputations:
    nfl has way too many commercials for me. kick the extra point then commercial, kick off 1 minute later than a commercial again . take 10 minutes to decide if it was a catch ( with a commercial break in between). soccer wont catch on here because the score is not high enough. the chances created are just as exciting as the ball actually going in the back of the net. also gets a bad rep for "flopping" but you see it just as much if not more in the nba.

9. ShutUpSitDown

ShutUpSitDown Your Moral and Intellectual Superior

Reputations:
    Relegation would be fantastic in MLB. Makes those Sept. 22 Reds/Padres series mean something.

Rahm2015 likes this.
  10. Brutus

Brutus Active Member

Reputations:
    I can't believe the odds that Elvis are alive are so good.

alittlebitcunty likes this.
  11. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I got 40$ on Elvis to be alive.

12. Rahm2015

Reputations:
    Very disappointed that the Foxes lost today and in extra time to boot.
    They played extremely well and I can't even blame the red card on Simpson that put Leicester one man down for almost the entire second half, it was the right call.
    I have to give it to Arsenal, they kept the pressure up all game. I think the Gunners are going to win the league.
    Hopefully Leicester can make the top 4 and be in the Champions League next year.
    That would still be a great accomplishment.

13. playitagainfred

playitagainfred Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

no front running band wagoner me - I've been a supporter through thick and thin for over 10 years now.

Rahm2015 likes this.
  14. Rahm2015

Reputations:
    I like West Ham, they're a good club.
    As I posted, I just started following the league in 2014 and became a Leicester fan then.
    But you're right that there are a ton of band wagoners supporting the Foxes, always happens that way.

15. ShutUpSitDown

ShutUpSitDown Your Moral and Intellectual Superior

Reputations:
    Huge result over City today. Business just picked up at the top of the table.
    image.jpg

16. Rahm2015

Reputations:
    The Spurs played very well today. Man City is reeling from two home losses in a row.

I will say that Leicester has a slight advantage over Tottenham ironically due to the Spurs beating the Foxes in the F.A. Cup.
    LC now has a two week break to rest up while the Spurs have to play and F.A. Cup game.

With both Manchester clubs struggling, I could definitely see the Spurs finish TOP 4 this year.

17. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

Reputations:
    i was up at 445 to watch leicester vs arsenal and also watched spurs vs man city, both great games. i think leicester citys fairy tale is coming to an end. arsenal or tottenham will win the premiership.

Rahm2015 likes this.
  18. Rahm2015

Reputations:
    I was up early as well. The games were great today (other than Liverpools route of poor Villa).
    Unfortunately, I think you're right about LC, but I'll be happy still with a TOP 4 finish if they can hang on.

19. ALevy

ALevy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    A pal of mine won $5K on a $25 bet (200 to 1) with the '99-'00 Rams. Long shot odds in the states have never been that high -- unless the team is mathematically eliminated from contention -- since.

20. ALevy

ALevy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    On the flipside, the Golden State Warriors are FAVORED to win the championship at 4/3 in Vegas right now.