Bill Gates charters $330 million yacht for family vacation-Go big or Go Home

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MutteringJohn, Aug 7, 2014.

1. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The 450 ft yacht costs $5 million a week to charter. The yacht is owned by Russian vodka magnate Yuri Scheffler. Gates is vacationing in Porto Cervo, Sardinia.

Boasting not one, but two helicopter landing bads, because, let's face it one is never enough, The Serene can play host to 24 guests in 12 staterooms, which includes a master suite, one VIP stateroom, seven double cabins and three twin cabins.

With 52 crew, The Serene also boasts a hanger for the helicopter, a seawater swimming pool, submarine hanger, a cinema and onboard WiFi.

LUXURY FIT FOR A BILLIONAIRE: THE $5 MILLION-A-WEEK BOAT CHARTERED BY BILL GATES
    The Serene was built in 2011 for the owner of Stolichnaya vodka, Yuri Scheffler.

She is 436ft long and comes complete with a sundeck that has a wet bar, a wood fire pizza oven and a Teppenyaki grill.

She is capable of traveling 6,000 nautical miles on one tank of fuel, which is the same as traveling from London to New York and at least half way back again.

Her most impressive feature are her two helipads, but the luuxrious yacht does not shirk on features.

She also has an indoor climbing wall and a dedicated children's playroom to keep infants occupied.

She also has a fully equipped spa and club and three external swimming pools and one indoors.

Boasting an underwater viewing room, The Serene also has space or a large submarine able to reach a depth of more than 330 ft.

The opulent yacht also has a gym, swimming pool and two jacuzzis on deck.

The Serene also has a full library, health spa, underwater viewing room, nightclub and indoor climbing wall for the Microsoft billionaire and family to enjoy.

It has a cruising speed of 15 knots and is able to travel 6000 nautical miles on a full tank - which is almost the distance from London to New York and back again.

Indeed, the Gates family have been vacationing off the coast of Porto Cervo for years.

Every August the coastal town off the coast of Sardinia becomes a literal billionaires playground.

Originally owned by the Aga Khan, who bought up 50km of coastline almost as a private beach in the 1960s, Porto Cervo is now undergoing a mini-boom since he sold it to a consortium of bankers in the early part of the 21st century,

It is where Princess Diana spent her final days before her fated trip to Paris.

Former Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi and ex-British prime minister Tony Blair have spent time relaxing in the sun there.

Now dotted with Louis Vuitton and Gucci stores, the coastline is the perfect spot for the richest man in the world to unwind.

However, they may be the children of the world's richest man, but Rory, Jennifer and Phoebe probably should enjoy this vacation while they can - because their father is not leaving them any of his $76 billion fortune.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    like spending $20 for him

3. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    it must be great being super-rich.

is bill gates one of those preachy assholes, i'm not familiar with his charitable works? i know he burns money in africa and was behind the whole common core debacle in the US.

reno, 1Vegasgirl and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  4. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
  5. todd packer

todd packer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard spent 10 mill on closet space.:nocheer:

reno and MFnAntiChrist like this.
  6. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So that's where my Stoli $s go.

jennyb and MFnAntiChrist like this.
  7. isabella

isabella VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    i read the above article...i would hope he leaves some of his fortune to his children. i'll never undrestand people like him who piss away money on lost causes. if he wants to do something charitable how about paying taxes instead of hiding or sheltering his money. it would go a way to help ease america's debt.

reno, 1Vegasgirl and Lemmy like this.
  8. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If it flys, floats or fucks.. you rent. Not buy.

Birddog, Hamster, reno and 4 others like this.
  9. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, if the feds seized Gates' entire worth it wouldn't even pay off 1/2 of 1% of the debt.

Birddog likes this.
  10. larryluncg

larryluncg Empty VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Good for Bill. He looks like a normal guy. Tennis game in the morning then picked up by a helicopter to hang with the wife and kids. He's in really good shape for his age. Compare him to howard.

11. AllAboutHim Ed

AllAboutHim Ed #mypurpose VIP

Reputations:
    Could have rented a 200' yacht and used the savings to help a lot of negroes in Africa.

12. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    He's not what you would call normal in the head. The history of silicon valley is a hobby of mine, I read as much as I can find about all the original companies, and there are plenty of wacky Bill Gates stories.

13. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Bill is donating most of his fortune to world causes but he's not depriving himself of anything during his life. Rather than having a custom built yacht which would cost 500 million to a billion dollars he leases one to go on vacation. He along with Buffett and Ted Turner formed a group of billionaires who have pledged to donate most of their money to charitable trusts. Not all the billionaires in the US have agreed. I think the majority of them want to keep their money in family trusts so hundreds of years from now their descendants can party in Vegas, wreck $200,000 automobiles and end up on TMZ.

14. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't understand this at all.

Why should he leave it to his children? He realizes that money isn't all that important in the journey of life, and he doesn't want to handicap his kids' emotional and cultural development by giving them a life of luxury and excess. And how do you figure his money is being "pissed away on lost causes"? Some of the fundamental areas the Gates Foundation invests in is family planning, financial services for the poor, vaccination, education, sanitation, agricultural development. How are those lost causes? Lost causes would be telling natives in Africa that they just need to become christians to solve their problems. And why on earth would "easing Americas debt" be a better cause? Why on earth should a bunch of assholes (politicians) who piss away all of money be bailed out by someone? It would just encourage them to do it more and more and again and again. If you had a kid who kept getting into trouble with the law, would you suggest to your husband that the best solution was to save up money for future bail-outs and lawyers fees? Or would you try to solve the root problem instead? Gates is doing the latter. He's a truly great man.

Bethstampon, Lola and aquadog like this.
  15. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Its his wife who's the preachy one. She's a eugenics advocate, and has all but called for the forced sterilization of African peoples. Bill generally seems to just be into it to keep his wife happy.

He's stated his kids arent going to get the bulk of his fortune, but that they'll never want for anything.

None of which have ever actually cut a check, they just talk about it. Buffet can suck a dick, there is a line on tax returns where you can gladly donate money to the US government, yet he seems to never fill it out and only talk about how he is going to give his money away.

16. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    [QUOTE="MutteringJohn, post:

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Howard invented wearing blue swim trunks on puny bodies.

reno likes this.
  17. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You have a fundamental misunderstanding of wealth and it's likely holding you back.

Wealth can't survive too many generations. To "break even", a family needs to have just over 2 children... less than that and the family dies out very quickly. In 4 generations, that means the money gets split 30 ways. And each generation drains the money down, and inflation takes care of the rest. Unless they invest wisely in long-term sustainable businesses like the Rockefeller family did, they end up like the Hughes family - his $2.5 billion estate was split 22 ways, and the business assets sold off to competitors. Those 22 heirs are rich, but their grandkids won't be.

Bethstampon likes this.
  18. MutteringJohn

Reputations:
    Why should Buffett give his money to the government. Warren lives a modest existence and is planning on leaving the bulk of his estate to the foundation started by Gates. Warren's house in Omaha is about the same size as Beth shoe closet and I think he drives car that only costs about $70,000. I don't think there a billionaire in the world that spends less than Warren. He is probably the most accessible super rich person in the world.

Mr Fantastic likes this.
  19. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good for Bill .. his foundation has already given away $28 billion to all kinds of worthy causes to try to make the world a better place...

Bethstampon, Zarathustra and Mack29 like this.
  20. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Looks like a father taking his family away on holiday to me, goo for them.:)

jennyb likes this.