Politics Billary pandering to the 1%

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HowieStearn, Jun 8, 2015.

1. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    that's the other 1%- those working for minimum wage. Fact: They are predominantly young people working at their first job.
    This is another "crisis" built on propaganda. And say goodbye to the "dollar menu" and realize that intellectually impaired snarling asshole who begrudgingly hands you your burger (while laughing and talking to someone else, no napkin, no ketchup) just might get a ill-deserved raise. I just lost my appetite.

[​IMG]

IfTheyOnlyKnew and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  2. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    agree.
    but the difference is, she actually wants to do it.

the ppl who pander to u never do anything u want

IfTheyOnlyKnew, MrPACS and NyMarkNy like this.
  4. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    If fast food became too expensive to buy, we would probably have a healthier country. Just don't raise the price hot water and mint leaves, Howard would have a shit fit.

5. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    its been studied a bunch of times raising minimum wage actually does not affect the unemployment for fast food workers, you would think it would but it's due to the fact that the franchise locations are mandated to be at a certain location, so the owners eat some of it and raise some prices a bit but they found the economic impact of small increases (a few bucks) in min wage has negligible effects on fast food places. idk why economic conservatives are so against it,what ever gets shaniqua off the welfare rolls and paying taxes is A-OK in my book

6. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Is there any law in place preventing all of these companies from laying off a ton of workers and replacing them with kiosks?

I have mixed feelings about this push. The current minimum wage is pitiful and if these places were paying a decent wage people might actually put a little effort into their job but the dog shit food will surely drop in quality and I'm guessing unemployment rates will skyrocket.

Is this all just a master plan for more governemnt dependence when all of these people are let go?

SorryBoff and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  7. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    they studied it numerous times since the early 1990s, until then economists even on the extreme left would agree that minimum wage raise necessarily raise unemployment, but no one had actually tried studying it. Since the 90s a number of actual studies have been conducted using whats known as "contiguous counties" meaning counties that touch a state border. So when a state raises a min. wage they look at the county directly across the border and use that as a "control group" for comparison. Again and again studies have found that fast-food unemployment in the higher min wage county was no higher than in the county with the lower wage. Because typically when it was raised factories and business would pack up and move to where labor is cheaper, but because most min. wage is now in service sector jobs, that is not possible (because the franchises are legally mandated by their agreements to be in a specific location). So the owners can't reduce labor costs they end up just eating some of the loss and passing some on to consumers. The researches have noted that fast food consumers are not especially "price sensitive", meaning they dont change buying habits generally based on small increases of price. So the net effect is pretty minimal.

Slow likes this.
  8. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    They're just as likely to get a pink slip, and replaced by a machine or a human being with a little bit more on the ball. If you have to pay more, you may find you can get more for your money in terms of employee.

Economic changes are rarely overwhelming. So I'll use an exaggeration to illustrate the principle.

Say I can hire a current min wage employee to sit on a chair watching a backup generator run during test periods in an office building. He's there to monitor a few gauges, write down the numbers in a log, and call if anything goes wrong. He doesn't really understand the generator, he just does what he's told and tha'ts sufficient.

However, if laws are passed that require me to pay $80,000 a year minimum wage, I will certainly prefer to have a real engineer monitor my machine at the new minimum wage than a neophyte. Or, more likely, I will simply install monitoring equipment and cameras that broadcast the information back to the main office, replacing the worker entirely. Becuase while at minimum wage it made since to put a guy in a chair there, at $80,000/year it does not. It's cheaper to further automate.

While this is an exaggeration, the principle is the same. There is a level of friction and inertia involved that may not result in instant job loss from min wage increases in some fields, but over time, the market "fixes" this. The "fix" is more unemployment for low skill workers, teens, and the disabled.

Also, my rents in the building just went up

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
    Fawkesguy, AmishGirl and 1Vegasgirl like this.
  9. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Jayla, reno, GIRLY and 2 others like this.
  10. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    I prefer this option

11. scoobyla

Reputations:
    either be for raising it with inflation, or dont be for one at all.
    i respect either of those positions, but to be for the current minimum wage is just bs politics

12. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Minimum wage jobs are not meant to support your family. They are entry level jobs to get used to going to work, showing up on time, and learning to work with other people. Many people used to work minimum wage jobs while going to school and could not wait to get some experience and get the hell out of those types of jobs.

Hillary is pandering to the low information voter.

13. scoobyla

Reputations:
    why would u be for that? your taxes would go up(or debt would).

they dont provide jobs as charity, if theyd make more profit using machines they already would have.
    i dont think consumers accept it. otherwise everything would come outta a vending machine

Thikken Vaney likes this.
  14. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    That's whats coming- you cant stop it

15. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    and I don't enjoy my counter experience, or any employee contact experience at McDonalds. I would gladly use the machine if given a choice

16. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    I made "minimum wage" at a summer job in college for exactly 3 weeks. By the end of the summer I was a manager and my pay was roughly double the minimum wage. I worked as a pharmacy clerk in HS, my pay was over the min wage. I washed dishes, it took about 2 months to get raised from the minimum wage.

Had they had to hire me at a wage 50% higher than the minimum at the time it's unlikely I would have been hired for either job. They would have gone with someone who had done the job before rather than risk hiring me.

I'm for higher wages. The problem is it needs to happen organically rather than by government decree from central planners. The same people claiming to support minimum wage laws are also doing their best to undermine wages of these workers by importing millions of unskilled competitors for their jobs. In the past you moved quickly out of minimum wage. But with dozens of replacements waiting in the wings, they don't have to pay more.

17. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    They use them in lots of places at Disney World hotels already. It was a delight being able to walk up and punch my order in and pay w/o staring into the eyes of some walking-dead suicidally depressed cashier.

18. scoobyla

Reputations:
    the technology exists and its cheap.
    im sure theyve tested it and it doesnt do great, or everyone would do it.

look at a soda vending machine outside a convenience store. 95% walk past it to buy the same item in the store

Gusbuss likes this.
  19. Willy Pfister

Willy Pfister VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

Maybe he has a job making, servicing, programming or marketing those kiosks.

I have some apartments and hire people to do work for me all the time. Thus I create jobs on a very small scale. I don't do it out of generosity, I do it to better myself. And, if I offered minimum wage, even for the least skilled work that I want to buy, I'd find no sellers.

And, if someone built a robot that would perfectly paint a room and offered to rent it to me at a cost below hiring a painter, I would choose to buy his skill, the labor of the cat that made the robot, rather than that of the painter. I'd still be buying labor, I'd just be doing it smarter.

That's how a market works, even when dopey bureaucrats try to fix it.

20. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Enjoy your $14.99 value menus if this cunt gets her way.......
    I have never in my life seen a more extreme example of "Failing Up".......