Billy West, Jackie Marlow, and Stuttering John

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ZeroZed, Feb 15, 2012.

1. ZeroZed

ZeroZed New Member

Reputations:
    Each of these guys felt like Howard wasn't paying them enough and split. How much money do you guys think they "lost" by doing that?

Billy West has had a long, distinguished career doing voice-over work--which was his true love from a young age.
    Jackie was already wealthy by the time he quit, he supposedly owned a decent amount of real-estate--sure he gave up a salary for the past 10 years--but would it have been worth it to be shit on and not utilized like what has happened with Fred? Does anybody really believe Fred is making >$1 Million yearly?
    Stuttering John went from being a 3rd tier cast member who did the most heavy lifting on the show (but had to constantly beg for a raise) to the top rated network show on television. Even though he's no longer on-camera, he's apparently rolling in dough and producing a movie with an A-list cast.

Howard always portrays people who leave the show as losers and failures. He repeats that over and over until many fans think its true. He also claims that if it wasn't for him, they wouldn't even have had a career. Personally, I doubt any of them walked away from a big payday with Howard; seems like each of them has done pretty well for themselves despite Howard's graceless bashing.

2. GaryPuppet

GaryPuppet Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Allison walked away from Howard as well.
    From all reports, shes did pretty well for herself.

3. Atomic Wedgie

Atomic Wedgie Crash Victim

Reputations:
    What ever He's paying Benjy....it's too much.

4. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jackie is the only one of those three who lost out on a lot of money.
    Billy West has tons of ducats from his Ren & Stimpy work. He's doing just fine without Howard.
    And John took a huge salary increase with Leno. That was the best move for him & his family.

5. RiotGrip

RiotGrip New Member

Reputations:
    Billy West: obviously meant for bigger and better things, better without Howard.

Jackie Martling: Had a delusional view of his worth. Sure he was wealthy, but the Howard Stern Show was the Pinnacle of his career. Jackie was dumb to leave the show.

Stuttering John: True that Howard Stern made him into someone, but He is SO much better off where he is now. John has really worked his way up the ladder, and Howard has no place to bash him.

Fred Norris: Probably does make over a Million a year, but not much over. It is sad that he is under utilized, but why wouldn't he take the payday? He is smart, but not nearly as driven as the other three mentioned in this post. He would never do better than he is now.

6. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    That says it all.

7. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The only thing I'd add to this regards Jackie, leaving the show was a dumb move financially but it may have been a lifesaver, he would have had five more years of 4AM five day weeks at WXRK before the part time Sirius gig, he may not have been able to handle that and ended up in the same state as Artie, if he's happy and comfortable in his present day life I'd say he won too.

8. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Sure, but just as with Artie, he could have chosen to stop touring and just stick to his day job. He could have been fine.

9. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    I think there was more to it with Jackie than Artie, Artie's job was just to be there and play his character adding a male perspective and comedy to the show, no prep required. Jackie had the added issue of having to feed lines to Howard which required more prep, he had to know where the show was going or the lines would be too little too late, so he had to be involved in the flow where Artie could just sit back and eat and add some commentary along the way. Artie could also leave right after the show but Jackie was involved with the content planning plus it was stlll the era where they wrote and did bits etc... And with ratings and syndication expansion being the number one priority he had a more pressure filled job than Artie with or without the weekend gigs.

10. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Agreed. Jackie was the only one who I felt made a big mistake by leaving. I heard him say in an interview that when he left the HSS he was making over a million bucks per year (not sure if that was pure salary or if he meant combined salary+appearances). Either way he lost out on a ton of money as he would have gotten a big pay raise if he had stayed up to the present day. I would guess that since 2001, he lost upwards of at least $20 million bucks. Plus you have to factor in his age. He was in his 50s when he left, not really the best time to leave a steady paying gig, especially when you leave it for nothing. Jackie hasn't had much of a career since he left the show so it was clearly a bad move.

11. WillyBest

WillyBest Achiever Gold

Reputations:
    Every one of those guys went on to bigger and better things. Except Jackie.

12. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Billy West clearly didn't need Howard. It was the other way around. I'm sure Howard wasn't as shocked as he claimed to have been when he left. Billy had his own cash, career and his own thing going. You never really hear Howard bash Billy over and over again like the other guys.

13. JohnnyAqua

JohnnyAqua New Member

Reputations:
    Jackie got the short end of the stick out of the three. He had no pending deal like John, and he wasn't a talent like Billy. He is a funny guy but he thought he was Seinfield and he wasn't.

14. Joe Mamaw

Joe Mamaw New Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't say SJ "did the most heavy lifting" on the show. the last 2 or 3 years he was there he barely did anything at all. besides goofing on Tom for making a deal with god not to masturbate I have trouble recalling anything noteworthy from SJ's last few years, it was time for him AND the show to move on

also 1st post :)

15. Peau de Soie

Reputations:
    Kind of agree with Joe Mamaw here -- I never saw any value in Stuttering John other than his interview gigs (and Fred's mockery).

16. illini fan

illini fan New Member VIP

Reputations:
    One of the attributes that makes the castrated one an ass...The fucker wishes and enjoys the failure of others when they leave his show (See Jackie)...Too bad for him, that Billy and John bucked the trend...

17. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What is a Mick, a Hick, and a Spic? Sorry, I thought your thread title was a Jeopardy question. (Not sure if Billy West is Irish but it fit the joke)

18. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Billy West might not have Howard Stern money, but he has a hella better living than if he sat around his whole life receiving Howard Stern's money.

Jackie, all this "good investment" shit aside, doesn't strike me as wealthy, particularly post-divorce. I believe he lost the most, he's a talented motherfucker, but unlike Billy, pretty much the only forum for his talent is within the world of Howard Stern. Likewise, I think you're sorely mistaken in your belief that Fred has somehow "not been utilized" by Stern in the Sirius era. Fred genuinely stopped giving a shit about contributing much of anything once Jackie left, it was own decision, in fact I find it generous Howard keeps him along since he does so little now, but Howard's loyal to cheap workers.

Stuttering John is doing so much better than he could have ever done in his dreams while working with Stern. I'm not of the belief that Stuttering John didn't deserve what he was making anyway. Just like Howard was amazing at delivering Jackie's golden lines, Stuttering John was amazing at delivering the questions the three main writers penned. If any of the three asked them instead of John, they'd sound like douchebags, most people would. Gary Garver sounds like an asshat every time I hear him deliver an interview, like an angry little man, John had this endearing quality to his questions that is hard to replicate in that kind of situation.

But most importantly, in the later years John did so much by "mixing it up," don't act like "mixing it up" is something to be tossed aside like something inconsequential. Shit, when's the last time the present show's had any mixing it up? That shit was a daily occurrence when John was in the office, even if it was just a spat about picking up the lunch tab after the previous day's show, it was compelling as fuck radio that proved 'The Howard Stern Show's quality has jack-shit to do with Howard Stern the human being.

Similarly, his phone screening abilities were untouchable. There's numerous audio instances of Will acting like a holier than thou prick, refusing to let anyone on who isn't talking about what Howard is talking about at that exact moment, usually with his exact perspective. John hung up on those asskissing faggots. He went out of his way to pick the asshat callers, and if one wasn't on the line he'd make the call into the studio himself.

If that doesn't warrant the same amount of dough that Will and Jason make for being unentertaining fucktwits doing a do-nothing job, I don't know what does.