News Black student admits hanging ‘White Only,’ ‘Black Only’ signs at school...

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Sep 18, 2015.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Black student admits hanging ‘White Only,’ ‘Black Only’ signs near school bathrooms, water fountains

September 18, 2015
    By. Kyle Olson

[​IMG]

BUFFALO, N.Y. – Cries of racism broke out across the campus of the University of Buffalo this week when students found Jim Crow-esque signs in a building on campus.

Someone had posted “White Only” and “Black Only” signs near several bathrooms and water fountains in Clemens Hall.

“It brought up feelings of the past of a past that our generation has never seen which I think is why it was so shocking for us to see,” Micah Oliver, president for the Black Student Union, tells ABC 27.

More than 100 students turned out to a Black Student Union meeting to discuss the signs.

“There was fear expressed, anger, disappointment – all of that,” according to Oliver.

And then, Ashley Powell, a black graduate student, stood up in the meeting to admit she had hung the signs, claiming it was part of an “art project,”
    The Buffalo News reports.

Students were reportedly “outraged” and “walked out” of the meeting. Other students denounced Powell’s project as “racist” and “an act of terrorism.”

According to the News, “the project was for a 400-level art class titled ‘Instillation: Urban Space.’ Powell said the goal of the signs and project was to see what people’s reactions would be to them.”

“I apologize for the extreme trauma, fear, and actual hurt and pain these signs brought about,” Powell said in the statement, according to The Spectrum, the student newspaper.

“I apologize if you were hurt, but I do not apologize for what I did. Once again, this is my art practice. My work directly involves black trauma and non-white suffering. I do not believe that there can be social healing without first coming to terms with and expressing our own pain, rage, and trauma.”

“This was more than a black issue, more than a Black Student Union issue, this was a student issue,” Oliver tells ABC 7. “The student body should be offended.”

University administrators released a statement, saying, “After an initial investigation by University Police, it has been determined that the signs posted in Clemens Hall were part of a student art project. The University is continuing to review this matter through appropriate university policies and procedures.”

2. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i like the ones who, for example, break the windows of some dem politician and pretend it's an evil right wing hate group. but alas, it turns out to be some young effeminate cunt, i mean progressive, trying to fan the flames.

PI Nate, Turtle Man, kingship and 9 others like this.
  3. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, its not racism then.

Thanks Obama

4. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Art project? [​IMG]

5. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Once again, this is my art practice. My work directly involves black trauma and non-white suffering.

You gotta be kidding me ! That statement is more racist than her stupid signs.

6. HorsetoothBeth

HorsetoothBeth Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Oh, well then it's ok.
    Go home.
    Nothing to see here.

Trophy Knife, babybear and Zelda like this.
  7. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Way to fan the flames of racism, honey.

Trophy Knife, Skipnoid, GIRLY and 3 others like this.
  8. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    to me, that is like yelling fire in a crowded theater.

Also, I love when they find a blaek guy hanged and immediately jump to "HE WAS LYNCHED". The last 4 they've done that with all killed themselves.
    \

9. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    White people be drinking their Evian anyway...

GIRLY and babybear like this.
  10. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...and whitey's on the moon.

PI Nate, Bye You!, reno and 4 others like this.
  11. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah it seems this fake shit keeps happening, like those dykes who wrote anti gay shit on their house and then burned it down for the insurance money, blamed it on someone they said was a homophobic neighbor.

I suspect some of the black church arsons are fake too.

12. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    And shitting in his own bathroom.

13. hugh jasol

hugh jasol white trash on dope Gold

Reputations:
  14. Ashbeard

Ashbeard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    At least something good came out of this tragedy. A couple of white kids got to shit in peace.

15. al pacinos baby

al pacinos baby Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Blame the universities too. This the education they are providing for a 100 grand.

Trophy Knife, funkface, GIRLY and 4 others like this.
  16. christ cracker

christ cracker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i use the womens only bathroom and im fine with it

sstressed likes this.
  17. TonyJax

TonyJax White Privilege Denied. VIP

Reputations:
    A white student would not have the balls to hang those signs, their life would be over.

The progressive, black, person that hung the signs will be making 100 K at NY Times next year.

sstressed, stash and Divorce Chicken like this.
  18. Domo Cup

Domo Cup Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  19. vaporizer

vaporizer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    First of all, college kids of this generation think everything even remotely offensive is "terrorism". This is why comedians can't flourish on campuses around the US any longer.

Second, I really believe that this act of sign hanging and the fact that it was done by a BLACK student was courageous and used as a way to make young people think about where we are in society in 2015. Before you write me off let me say this: college aged kids - the ones that think this was "terrorism" - don't understand what the world was like 50 years ago let alone pre-9/11. If you're a freshman in college this year you were born in 1997, making you 3 or 4 when the towers came down. They all think it's normal to go to the airport and take shoes off. Or when they have to go to a public event and get scanned by metal detectors and then double-scanned by a hand-held device. This was an act to make kids THINK, something to really make them realize that for how ever fucked up they think things are - and things are pretty fucked up right now in this country (still) with race relations - we are SO fucking lucky to be HERE right now. I think if this person spoke about this "art project" in a passionate and convincing way much like I'm trying to do, she could have gotten some support from her collegiate peer community. But that's also another thing that's missing from so many young people - passion to believe in something. Where is it? She posts these signs and just says, "oh...this was an art project".

Fuck you for not fully standing by your statement. It was a big deal to do this and that's how you talk about it, like a motherfucking napkin blowing in the wind on an early fall day?

If the country has leaders like that moving forward I'm not sure that people are going to understand that we are lucky but there is always work to be done and that we need to FEEL things again to get that job done.

I'm not even sure why I went off on this rant. I think I get annoyed when people go about shit in a half-assed way, like, I bet she only hung these signs 3 out of the 5 days during the week and left other people to do her work the rest of the time and they didn't use great tape so a lot of them fell down but she didn't care enough to check in so the thing fell flat on its face making everyone hate it real good.

20. Chatsworth

Chatsworth Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    "Performance Art." It's what artists and art majors do when they lack the brains and talent to draw and paint.