BMI note angers 7-year-old's mom

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    http://www.kmbc.com/news/body-mass-index-note-angers-7yearolds-mom/32016678
    (VIDEO ink LINK)

BELTON, Mo. —The leader of the Belton School District is promising changes after a girl came home from school with a note saying that her body mass index was too high.

Kylee Moss' mother said she was infuriated when her daughter brought home the note from Hillcrest Elementary last Friday, along with a recommendation for healthy snacks and more physical activity.

"She goes, 'Does this mean I'm fat?' and I said, 'No, this does not mean you are fat,'" said Amanda Moss.

Kylee, 7, stands 3 feet 10 inches tall and weighs 54 pounds. Her mother said she's as active a second-grader as you're likely to see.

"She is tiny. She has no body fat at all," said Amanda Moss.

Body mass index, also known as BMI, is calculated by taking a person's weight and multiplying it by 703, then dividing that number by the person's height in inches. The government gives ranges for what's considered to be ideal, but it's a controversial calculation, especially in schools.

"They send home a piece of paper that says, 'Here is a box. Your child doesn't fit into it. Here is what you should do to fit into the box,'" said Amanda Moss.

Belton's superintendent said there is no malicious intent with the program, which is funded by a grant from Going Forward. Still, he said parents will now be notified of testing dates in advance and will have the chance to opt out.

"Personal image is a big deal and if you are starting out a child at a very young age telling them they are overweight, it is a problem," said Amanda Moss. "It is absolutely unacceptable.

XaltedSmoke likes this.
  2. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the bmi is probably a little misleading at times

that little kid looks like a normal little kid

mom could lose 20 pounds however

GoshGeeGolly, reno and scoobyla like this.
  3. Jayla

Jayla Ou ai-je l'esprit? Gold

Reputations:
    Only glanced, did not read with focus, but I've never get these stories. It's pretty easy to avoid school scrutiny, intrusion and opinion into/about your child's health by simply having your private pediatrician send in the "physical form". Schools only conduct most health screenings *IF* parents fail to do this. The only examination I recall the school ever doing was a hearing test. Even the scoliosis one ( which used to be done by schools no matter what ) is avoidable again, if your private dr has already done it. And they warn you well in advance of when it's coming and how you can opt out.

XaltedSmoke and Nemo like this.
  4. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why haven't you called me?

5. Jayla

Reputations:
    But yeah, BMI tends to be a stupid and largely ineffective way to measure someone's health. We all know what fat looks like and who is "thick/solid" vs porky simply by using our eyes.

UpInSmoke123 and FishySausage like this.
  6. Jayla

Reputations:
    You're on the list. I'll get to it.

7. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Ok ...I will be waiting in the bushes

Jayla likes this.
  8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    might involve some zero tolerance....everyone gets a trophy ....shenanigans.
    It is not fair to single out the real fatsos? So everyone gets called a fatso

reno likes this.
  9. queerface

queerface Un-engaged Dyke Gold

Reputations:
    that kid is far from fat.

CCMaguire, reno and scoobyla like this.
  10. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Kid looks fine - the reporter must be pretending to be bad in math like Howard, as the genius got the BMI formula wrong in the article and when he wrote it on the white board. I tried calculating my own using his formula and it was well over a thousand.

Correct way to calculate BMI is by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared and then multiplying that result by 703.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/adult_bmi/

TheLACritic and Nemo like this.
  11. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    imagine the notes jerry occonnells mom got.
    and look at the chic he ended up with

Jayla likes this.
  12. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    When I was in fourth grade, they took us down to the nurses office and did our height and weight.
    I was always one of the tallest girls in the class, so when they said my weight-out loud-I was mortified cuz obviously I was like a blimp compared to the smaller kids in the class. Of course some kids laughed and that has always stayed with me.
    Unless a kid is really overweight/obese, leave them alone. Most times they grow up and out of it. It's called 'baby fat' for a reason!

13. Jayla

Reputations:
    Well, these days there are a lot more plump dumplings than when we were kids. And it is a public health issue, so it makes sense that the public schools would be ONE point of intervention. My experience has been that parents can opt out of just about anything the school does ( and more unofficially if you want to really throw a tantrum ) so I don't get all the hullaballoo and consternation about these programs.

GoshGeeGolly, Nemo and reno like this.
  14. Jayla

Reputations:
    I know. And I'm flattered. :shucks:

chapped likes this.
  15. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    Note it's a trailer park. If she ain't fat now, she will be. We need to nip these fatties in the bud.

GoshGeeGolly, JustLurking and reno like this.
  16. JFK

JFK Ask not what your country can do for you. Gold

Reputations:
    When it comes to the females. Thick=Fat. Today's "thick girl" is tomorrow's:

[​IMG]

BethsZygote likes this.
  17. Jayla

Reputations:
    Ha. Yeah. But you know what I mean. I know a man who is 6'4" and something like 220ish and he's too high on the BMI scale. It's not always an accurate representation of health. I say again, we all know what fat looks like.

18. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I missed the 2nd half of 4th grade. I had my appendix taken out. I porked up and got fat.
    In my 5th grade gym class the gym teacher noticed and goofed on my baloney tits in front of the other kids. It was funny stuff. I still remember the jokes. I took my beating like a 10 year old man...:jj:....and very motivated to lose weight.

Nice, XaltedSmoke and GoshGeeGolly like this.
  19. eliasbboy

eliasbboy Insert Witty Title Here Staff Member

Reputations:
    BMI is complete bullshit. There is zero science to back it up.

When do you think it was "discovered"? It seems like a fairly recent invention, right?

Wrong. It's HUNDREDS of years old. It's original purpose was to get a rough ESTIMATE of how much food should be rationed for peasants during rough times. An apple a day for each person was not fair, as an old bat might need a half while a husky farm worker might need 3. They came up with a very rough gestimate for how much a person at such and such a size requires in food intake.

That's it. No real science, no recent discovery. Two hundred year old bullshit. :hat:

XaltedSmoke, Nemo and Pooh bear like this.
  20. Pooh bear

Pooh bear Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I bet if my daughter did her BMI if would be off. Her weight on the scale is deceptively high yet she's not the least bit fat. Must have dense muscle mass.