News Book for black travelers in mid 1900s to stay safe

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by MilkyDischarge, Feb 11, 2016.

1. MilkyDischarge

MilkyDischarge Se suelto el diablo Gold

Reputations:
    fascinating article. Could you imagine actually needing this to stay safe?

OBJECT OF INTRIGUE: A JIM CROW ERA GUIDE FOR BLACK TRAVELERS
    [​IMG]

The 1949 edition of The Green Book includes the Mark Twain quote, "Travel Is Fatal To Prejudice." (Photo: Public Domain/New York Public Library)

"There will be a day sometime in the near future when this guide will not have to be published," reads the introduction to the 1949 edition of The Green Book. The travel guide listed bars, restaurants, hotels, and other places in America where black travelers would be welcomed.

Victor H. Green, a post office worker, teamed with his contacts in the Postal Workers Union, all around the country, to compile The Green Book, which aimed to help black travelers navigate around the dangers they faced on the road during the most intense period of segregation in the 20th century.

The need for a travel guide specifically tailored to African-Americans arose during the Jim Crow era, when the consequences of entering a "whites only" space ranged from having the door slammed in one's face to being assaulted or even lynched. The first edition of The Green Book was published in 1936, the last one in 1966.

[​IMG]

Victor Hugo Green, the founder of The Green Book. His surname is where the guide gets its name, although there is a misconception that it is called The Green Book because of the color of its cover. (Photo: Public Domain/Wikipedia Commons)

As a black middle class began to rise in America, the face of travel was no longer exclusively white. More black people began driving, in part because they were more economically able, but also due to the discrimination they faced on public transportation.

However, black motorists were not safe even within their own vehicles: at the time, the simple fact of a black person owning a car could anger white supremacists. Even the laws of the road were dictated by racism; in some areas black drivers were not allowed to overtake white drivers.

[​IMG]

Later editions of The Green Book included pictures. The above page is from the 1962 edition of the guide and lists four restaurants in Fort Lauderdale. (Photo: Public Domain/New York Public Library)

While black Americans may have been familiar with the "whites only" establishments in their own towns, it was difficult to know where they would be welcome when they were traveling. Each edition of The Green Book was an extensive list of not only bars, hotels and restaurants, but also establishments such as hair salons, beauty parlors, drugstores, tailors, and liquor stores.

Later editions of the guide included pictures and accommodated for air and ship travel, too. By the early 1950s, the guide had added international destinations such as Mexico, Canada and Bermuda.

[​IMG]

Establishments listed in two editions of The Green Book plotted on a map. The later edition expanded to include Mexico, the Bahamas and Canada. (Photo: Public Domain/New York Public Library)

In a 2010 interview with NPR, civil rights leader Julian Bond explained that the book existed to assure the kind of safety and convenience that most travelers today take for granted.

If I go to New York City and want a haircut, it's pretty easy for me to find a place where that can happen, but it wasn't easy then. White barbers would not cut black peoples' hair. White beauty parlors would not take black women as customers–hotels and so on, down the line. You needed The Green Book to tell you where you can go without having doors slammed in your face."

The travel guide ceased publication in 1966, three decades after it first arrived on the scene, and shortly after the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed the systemic racial discrimination that had brought it into being in the first place.

2. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    Hmm - that is sad. Sometimes I do need a reminder that we treated people like utter shit a scant 50 years ago, not 200. Damn it - how can I be racist and moral too?

3. Stretch5000

Stretch5000 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Interesting.

There's one bed in all of Mexico.

regult and babybear like this.
  4. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    Thanks Democrats

5. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    and now we have google to tell us which areas are mostly black. we've come a long way baby! :yay:

6. lilbuddy67

lilbuddy67 A man with breath-taking anger management issues Banned User

Reputations:
  7. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...i went thru the south on route 66 when i was a kid and i remember going to eat and there were signs, 'white dining room' and 'colored dining room' same with drinking fountains and restrooms.

8. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...momma said cycoonas.

9. smellynugget

smellynugget Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Just mindblowing...

10. DaTenses

DaTenses Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ah, the good ole days

The Tomato Man likes this.
  11. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Shocking some black people still harbor resentment, huh?

FosterKitten likes this.
  12. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Where's ours?

babybear likes this.
  13. agnes

agnes Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Most of the black people that lived through it aren't the ones still screaming about it

14. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well no shit... But perhaps their offspring are?

FosterKitten likes this.
  15. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    Never drive on a street named after Martin Luther King and don't stay out after dark in any city you look up in Wikipedia that has demographics of less than 85% white :c

Big Lar, babybear and MadWoman777 like this.
  16. MadWoman777

MadWoman777 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You know, that MLK thing is so true! Anywhere you see that, feets don't fail me now

17. FSFN

FSFN Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Guilty

18. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    When i was in elementary we had one black kid in the whole school out of hundreds. I remember everyone called him the N word including the teachers and coaches, back then it seemed normal because even the grown ups were doing it. Now i know better, i cannot imagine how fucked up that made him.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Go take a trip to parts of any big city while vacationing white. See how that goes for you.

20. check1

check1 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    When I went though Tennessee in the early 90's they didn't understand what vinegar was (besides a cleaning product). Is it still like that?
    They thought it was pretty funny that I wanted it on my food.