Breaking - "standoff" on cattle ranch

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Apr 9, 2014.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Who knew the BLM had 200 armed agents?

http://freebeacon.com/issues/last-man-standing/

Last Man Standing

Rancher: armed feds are surrounding my farm
    [​IMG]
    Government vehicles and personnel outside of the Bundy ranch / Cliven and Carol Bundy

BY: Elizabeth Harrington
    April 8, 2014 7:34 pm

A two-decades-old battle between a Nevada rancher and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has resulted in officials armed with machine guns surrounding the ranch and forcibly removing the owner’s cattle, according to the rancher’s family.
    Cliven Bundy, the last rancher in Clark County, Nev., has been fighting a “one-man range war†since 1993, when he decided to take a stand against the agency, refusing to pay fees for the right to graze on a ranch run by his family for centuries.
    After years of court battles, the BLM secured a federal court order to have Bundy’s “trespass cattle†forcibly removed with heavy artillery, the family said.
    “The battle’s been going on for 20 years,†Bundy told theWashington Free Beacon. “What’s happened the last two weeks, the United States government, the bureaus are getting this army together and they’re going to get their job done and they’re going to prove two things. They’re going to prove they can do it, and they’re gonna prove that they have unlimited power, and that they control the policing power over this public land. That’s what they’re trying to prove.â€
    Bundy said the government has brought everything but tanks and rocket launchers.
    [​IMG]
    Armed men outside the Bundy ranch / Cliven and Carol Bundy

“They’re carrying the same things a soldier would,†he said. “Automatic weapons, sniper rifles, top communication, top surveillance equipment, lots of vehicles. It’s heavy soldier type equipment.â€
    His wife, Carol Bundy, said that roughly 200 armed agents from the BLM and FBI are stationed around their land, located about 75 miles outside of Las Vegas. Helicopters circle the premises, and the airspace and nearby roads remain blocked.
    “We’re surrounded,†Carol Bundy said. “We’re estimating that there are over 200 armed BLM, FBI. We’ve got surveillance cameras at our house, they’re probably listening to me talk to you right now.â€
    A National Park Service spokesman denied there were armed guards rounding up the cattle in a conference call on Tuesday. However, she confirmed that there was “security†in place, citing threats to the contractors who are removing the cattle.
    “Contractors are here and they are in place to round-up the cattle and to bring them to the impound area,†Christie Vanover said. “As for security, there [is] security in place, but that is merely to protect the contractors.â€
    “As you know, we have received threats and the contractors have received threats,†Vanover said. “Our personnel here and throughout the park service and throughout the BLM have received threats, as well. So security is in place to merely protect the contractors so that we can complete this operation.â€
    As of Monday, officials have seized 234 of Bundy’s 908 cattle. Impounding the cattle alone could cost the government as much as $3 million.
    “They just brought a load down today,†she said. “They kind of harass us as well. When we leave they follow us.â€
    This afternoon eight helicopters surrounded the family after they began taking pictures, according to Bundy’s daughter, Bailey. Their son, Dave Bundy, was arrested for taking pictures on state road 170, which has been closed, and is being held by BLM.
    [​IMG]
    Government helicopters circle the Bundy ranch / Cliven and Carol Bundy

The BLM said they took Dave Bundy into custody following his “failure to comply with multiple requests by BLM law enforcement to leave the temporary closure area on public lands.â€
    Carol Bundy said five officials took Dave and “threw him on the ground.â€
    “One put his knee on his head, the other put his boot on his head and pushed him into the gravel,†she said. “He’s got quite a bruised head. Just bruised him up pretty good.â€
    Environmentalists are praising the government’s forceful actions, which are being taken to protect the “desert tortoise.â€
    “We’re heartened and thankful that the agencies are finally living up to their stewardship duty,†said Rob Mrowka, a Nevada-based senior scientist with the Center for Biological Diversity. “The Gold Butte area has been officially designated as critical habitat for threatened tortoises—meaning the area is essential to their long-term survival as a species.â€
    “[Cliven] Bundy has long falsely believed that Gold Butte is his ranch,†added Terri Robertson, president of Friends of Sloan Canyon.
    The BLM designated 186,909 acres of the Gold Butte off-limits for the “critical desert tortoise†population in 1998. Bundy had already lost his grazing permit five years earlier for refusing to pay fees for the land, which his family has ranched since the 1870s.
    The “federal grazing fee†is $1.35 per “Animal Unit Month,†or the amount of forage needed per animal, each month. Bundy said he owes roughly $300,000 in back fees, while the BLM asserts he owes over $1 million. The BLM defended the removal because Bundy did not “voluntarily†give up his cattle.

2. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    “We’ve tried to do this through the legal and we’ve tried to do it through the political, and what we’re at right now, I guess we’re going to have to try to stand,” Cliven Bundy said. “We the people have to stand on the ground and get our state sovereignty back, and also take some liberty and freedoms back to where we have at least access to this land.”
    “The story is a lot about the cattle, but the bigger story is about our loss of freedom,” Carol Bundy added. “They have come and taken over this whole corner of the county. They’ve taken over policing power, they’ve taken over our freedom, and they’re stealing cattle.”
    “And our sheriff says he just doesn’t have authority, our governor says he doesn’t have authority, and we’re saying, why are we a state?”
    “I’m a producer,” Cliven Bundy said. “I produce edible commodity from the desert forage, and all of these things are governed under state law. So, in other words, this type of government has eliminated all of our state law, eliminated our state sovereignty, and has took control over our public lands and even took control over our Clark County sheriff. They’ve taken the whole county over. The whole state, almost.”
    “This is just about power of the government,” Carol Bundy said.
    Nevada Gov. Brian Sandoval (R.) voiced his concern about so-called “First Amendment Areas,” designated locations set up by the BLM where citizens can protest the removal.
    “Most disturbing to me is the BLM’s establishment of a ‘First Amendment Area’ that tramples upon Nevadans’ fundamental rights under the U.S. Constitution,” he said in a statement Tuesday.
    “To that end, I have advised the BLM that such conduct is offensive to me and countless others and that the ‘First Amendment Area’ should be dismantled immediately,” he said. “No cow justifies the atmosphere of intimidation which currently exists nor the limitation of constitutional rights that are sacred to all Nevadans. The BLM needs to reconsider its approach to this matter and act accordingly.”
    Sandoval also said his office has received numerous complaints about the BLM’s conduct, including road closures and “other disturbances.”

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  3. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
  4. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I know there are probably exceptions but in this case, Ruby Ridge, and Waco what political party was in power at the time? Liberals are a lot more prone to violence than Conservatives but thanks to our biased media the general public would never know.

5. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    This Rancher has been grazing his cattle on public land in violation of the law for 20 years. He stopped paying grazing fees and now is trying to get sympathy despite the fact that he's a millionaire.

6. Mlaw

Reputations:
    The fight has been building since 1993, when the Bureau of Land Management changed grazing rules for Gold Butte to protect the endangered desert tortoise.

Bundy refused to go along and stopped paying his fees. Since then, the BLM and federal courts have ordered him to stop letting his cattle roam throughout Gold Butte, and he has ignored the orders because he does not recognize federal authority over the land.

"My forefathers have been up and down the Virgin Valley ever since 1877. All these rights I claim have been created through pre-emptive rights and beneficial use of the forage and water. I have been here longer. My rights are before the BLM even existed," Bundy said.

The Bundy family was already ranching here long before the Department of Interior was born, and long before tortoises were protected. But federal courts say he doesn't have a legal leg to stand on. BLM has long sidestepped the fight in part because of concerns about what might happen, if it tried to round up his 500 or so cattle that even now are grazing on forbidden public lands.

7. datchguy

datchguy New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I hate state power as much as the next person, but this guy is a jack off.

8. fletchman71

fletchman71 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is the problem right here. Thank the fucking environmental fucknuts to help take away our freedoms. The same thing is going on now with "global warming" I mean, "Climate Change". :shit:

9. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    totally this.
    This guy is just another one of the many, many people the government fucks on a daily basis.
    But the law's the law. Pay your taxes and live your life

10. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    I don't give a fuck about some tortoise. Every animal on the planet will eventually adapt or go extinct. If humans help that along by a few years, who cares.

That said, no sympathy for the jerk off either. You rely on government land to make a living, your living can disappear on the governments whim. Fuck him.

11. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
    Our freedoms? I hate the gov but pick your battles. If everything is about "freedoms", the word loses its power

12. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
  13. cdfree

cdfree Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I was just thinking today that the world needs more cattle ranchers in the desert. Mitigating factor is the name Cliven Bundy. Doesn't get much better than that. I say let him live.

14. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This rancher sounds like a piece of work, but it's too bad he isn't a friend of Senator Harry Reid - federal restrictions can 'evolve' just like Stern's opinions if powerful politicians get involved for their friends.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/SenatorHarryReidsEthicalScandals.html

"Between 2002 and 2006, Reid intervened to gain monumental government concessions on behalf of a powerful Nevada land developer, Harvey Whittemore, who wished to build thousands of homes and numerous golf courses on 43,000 acres of barren land in an area called Coyote Springs, an hour northeast of Las Vegas. This land had a number of federal restrictions on its use: One-fourth of it was off-limits to developers because of federal protections for an “endangered” species of desert tortoise that dwelt there; another one-fourth was government-owned and was subject to a federal power-line right of way; and the territory overall was rife with streams and washes that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) had designated as crucial to the health of the desert’s ecosystem, and was therefore generally off-limits to construction.

Thanks to Senator Reid’s intercession, however, the Bureau of Land Management agreed to relocate the tortoises to an adjacent federal preserve, thereby opening that portion of Coyote Springs to developers."

15. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This Bundy guy, he sounds like a real jagoff.

16. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've about had an assfull of the Ruby Ridge comparisons ...

17. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Cattle can graze on that land? Looks as barren as Beth's womb.

18. Mlaw

Reputations:
    Yes, animals will adapt under normal circumstances, when you introduce humans conducting an money making enterprise that infringes on the animals habitat, then the animal deserves protection. If loggers cut down every tree and destroyed the habitat of the bald eagle, should that go unchecked?

19. hollywoodrose

hollywoodrose Member VIP

Reputations:

You're absolutely right, but remember the idea of there being two parties is an illusion that's used to divide the american people and reduce them to fighting amongst themselves over relatively meaningless issues while the real political power is loyal to the same system - the central banks and "federal" reserve, the corporations and military. That's why the so called presidents never change anything.

They don't stop the drug war, they don't lower taxes or free us from the power of the "federal" reserve or central banks, they continue to enable monopolies and oligopolies, deregulate industry and allow corporations to destroy the country, and they audit the poor and middle class while giving breaks to millionaires and billionaires. We actually have corporate CEO's from drug companies sitting on the board of the New York "Fed" (which is the only branch that has any real power). They actually control the basic function and value of our money system. 30 years ago there were over 130 companies that controlled our mass media - today there are only 5.

20. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    [​IMG] Hell No!