Bunch of pussies in Washington (state)

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by gwartney, Sep 28, 2013.

1. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    Wah, I don't like leaf blowers

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20130927/OPINION02/709279918/Is-it-not-time-to-ban-leaf-blowers

Is it not time to ban leaf blowers?

Here in the Puget Sound area leaf blowers have become one of the expected elements of daily life for many of us. They are commonly seen blowing dirt off sidewalks (and at passing cars), "cleaning" parking lots and roofs, and redistributing debris around residences. While some people may be unbothered by their presence, their ubiquity means that few people choosing to participate in typical daily activities will be, practically speaking, free to avoid them -- a drawback for people living here who don't want to be around them, perhaps because of breathing difficulties or other health concerns."It's a dirty job but somebody has to do it," may have been used to describe tasks considered essential to modern life. Arguably, there are alternatives to leaf blowers, such as brooms and vacuums. I recently swept out the garage, and when I was finished I had fairly substantial pile of dirt and other debris which I collected in a dust pan and disposed of. Had I used a leaf blower, I might have blown most of that debris into the air expecting the wind to carry it elsewhere, without regard to other people who might be adversely affected by it.Have you ever thought about what leaf blowers might be launching into the air you breath? Substances and organisms that might otherwise remain harmlessly on the ground are launched into the air by leaf blowers, essentially forcing bystanders to breath them. These substances might include viruses, animal feces, microorganisms, allergens, wear from automotive components such as brakes and tires, pesticides, and various toxic substances that have accumulated on the ground due to human, or other, action. This seems to be a sort of experiment whose health consequences are yet to be determined, and appears at odds with other things we have done to improve air quality.Perhaps blowers are a cheap and easy way to make things look neat with the expense being chronic exposure to dust and noise. If this trade-off is acceptable to those who use or employ those who use blowers, it might be regarded as a kind of personal choice if it affected only them. But other people downwind and within hearing distance are affected, and therefore those employing blowers have asserted a kind of dominion over our lives -- making a significant choice for the rest of us about air quality and noise levels whether we agree or not.I propose that Northwest cities consider joining other progressive municipalities that have banned leaf blowers, both to promote air quality and to allow people choosing to participate in "normal" daily activities freedom from the insult of someone upwind blowing street dust into the air.

David Giaconi
    Kirkland

2. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Oh man. I get the vyb this is a new thing everywhere. This woman down the street makes a whole dramatic show of covering her mouth and nose when she walks by my house and I've got the leaf blower going. :facepalm:

3. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    AZ has been trying to ban those things for years. the state offices aren't allowed to have them used on their property.

but most people ignore them.

it's pretty funny.

4. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    After reading his letter I googled "progressive municipalities" that have banned them. I had no idea.

I just thought my neighbor was being a bitch. :dontknow:

5. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I fucken hate leaf blowers & we survived many years in modern society without that fucken ungodly noise pollution. I put leaf blowers in the same category as bottled water...unneeded & contribute nothing.

6. gwartney

Reputations:
    It does bug me when I see the itinerant laborers blowing the grass out into the street. Like it's going to go away. I try to blow my grass back into the yard. As far as stirring up dust, what do they think wind does?

7. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    What about pressure washers? I was thinking I'd break that sumbitch out this weekend. Now THAT thing is loud.

8. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah I don't blow it in the street. I blow it into a big pile and suck it up with the lawnmower into the bag like a vacuum. Works great.

9. stripes

Reputations:
    pressure washers aren't a daily occurence

10. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:

That Hantavirus ain't no joke.

11. gwartney

Reputations:
    :jj: I have one of those too. Frankly, I think my shop vac is as loud as the blower.

12. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    :hhh: I'm actually a little embarrassed about the loudness of the pressure washer. All of midtown hears the damn thing.

13. stripes

Reputations:
    you might be missing the point about the intrusive daily use of leaf blowers...:rolleye:.wow, I have a Harley that's louder than my leaf blower, yuk yuk yuk

14. gwartney

Reputations:
    Or I may just disagree. I'd be willing to bet that in any given neighborhood, leaf blowers are not running 99% of the time.

15. Babs

Babs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I prefer to rake leaves.

16. baltimore mike

baltimore mike I wear panties 24/7 364

Reputations:
    to much to read

17. stripes

Reputations:
    theres a strawman argument, good for you.:hat:

18. gwartney

Reputations:
    I apologize if I misrepresented your argument. I based my statement on this:

I guesstimated that the leaf blowers in any given neighborhood are silent 99% of the time. Please correct me.

19. Vyb

Vyb serial chiller Gold

Reputations:
    I think of leaf blower usage as less than or equal to lawnmower usage.

20. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations: