Busiest Airport in the world. Flight from Ebola "screened" by clueless $10/hour Schlub.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Oct 7, 2014.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Ebola ridden Liberia, that is...

ATLANTA (CBS Atlanta/AP)
    — CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen said she was shocked and horrified at the lack of screening for Ebola at an Atlanta airport after coming back from Liberia.

Speaking to HLN on Monday, Cohen described what happened when she was going through customs at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

“I expected that they were going to take my temperature, they were going to ask me lots of questions, but they didn’t,” Cohen said.

Cohen explained she told the airport official that she just came back from Liberia covering the Ebola outbreak.

“I said, ‘I’m a journalist. I’ve come back from Liberia, I was covering Ebola.’ And the gentleman who was helping me – the officer – he started to hand my passport back and said, ‘Welcome home,’ but instead said, ‘Wait a second, I got an email about passengers like you. Hold on a second.’”

Cohen continued: “And he went and conferred with someone and he didn’t know and they conferred with someone else. And in the end he said, ‘You need to watch yourself for signs of Ebola.’ And I said, ‘Well, what am I watching out for?’ and he couldn’t tell me.”

Cohen’s producer and photojournalist were also not told of the signs to check for.

“I was travelling with two colleagues – a photojournalist and a producer – and they weren’t told anything and they also said they were journalists who had been covering Ebola,” Cohen told HLN. “So we were all kind of shocked and pretty horrified at the lack of screening in U.S. airports.”

The White House continued to rule out any blanket ban on travel from West Africa. White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Monday it is “not something we’re currently considering.”

People leaving the outbreak zone are checked for fevers before they’re allowed to board airplanes, but the disease’s incubation period is 21 days and symptoms could arise later.

Airline crews and border agents already watch for obviously sick passengers, and in a high-level meeting at the White House, officials discussed potential options for screening passengers when they arrive in the U.S. as well.

Nancy Castles, a spokeswoman for Los Angeles International Airport, said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has had employees on site at more than a dozen major international airports in the U.S. like LAX for many years. Screening of passengers starts with Customs and Border Protection agents, who work with CDC when they have a case they are concerned about.

President Barack Obama said the U.S. will be “working on protocols to do additional passenger screening both at the source and here in the United States.” He did not outline any details or offer a timeline for when new measures might begin.

“I consider this a top national security priority. This is not just a matter of charity,” Obama said. “It is also an issue with respect to the political stability and economic stability of this region.”

The Obama administration maintains that the best way to protect Americans is to end the outbreak in Africa. To that end, the U.S. military was working Monday on the first of 17 promised medical centers in Liberia and training up to 4,000 soldiers this week to help with the Ebola crisis.

The U.S. is equipped to stop any further cases that reach this country, said Earnest.

“The tragedy of this situation is that Ebola is rapidly spreading among populations in West African who don’t have that kind of medical infrastructure,” Earnest said.

About 350 U.S. troops are already in Liberia, the Pentagon said, to begin building a 25-bed field hospital for medical workers infected with Ebola. A torrential rain delayed the start of the job on Monday.

Obama also called on other countries to help deal with the Ebola outbreak.

“Countries that think that they can sit on the sidelines, and just let the United States do it — that will result in a less effective response, a less speedy response and that means that people die,” Obama explained. “It also means that that the potential spread of the disease beyond these areas in West Africa becomes more imminent.”

The virus has taken an especially devastating toll on health care workers, sickening or killing more than 370 in the hardest-hit countries of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone — places that already were short on doctors and nurses before Ebola.

More than 3,400 people have died since the outbreak began in West Africa.

Nemo likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Get Ebola
    Get to America

3. Ingens

Ingens VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    But, but, but I thought the government said that they were increasing screening and that everything would be OK?! :worried:

4. Ganggreen87

Ganggreen87 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who cares this is a news reporter making a story out of nothing
    This ebola is the media making a story to get ratings. Influence and the measles kill far more people annually the. Ebola does or ever will but there is no money in those stories

5. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Yep, nothing to see here people! Move along! Move along!

Ganggreen87 and PI Nate like this.
  6. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...that also has fewer minds working on the problem. it sounds like the screening in atlanta isnt too good, more like there isnt any. thats just not acceptable. one of our large hospitals here has offered to take ebola patients and has a group of doctors managing the program. theres 3.5 million people in this area, i hope they know wtf theyre doing.

7. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:

This! plus Custom Agents make a lot more than $10 hr.;)

Ganggreen87 likes this.
  8. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:

...ive been taken aback, blown away even by influence but i never heard of anyone dying from it.

9. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nemo likes this.
  10. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  11. AcquiringSignal

AcquiringSignal Girthy VIP

Reputations:

Ummmm.....death?

12. idiotbox

idiotbox Looking for a dime and found a quarter. VIP

Reputations:
    i flew out of atlanta a few weeks ago and they missed the huge lock blade in my carry on backpack. they sure didn't miss checking my shoes though and frisking my shorts after going through the teleporter. tsa are assholes. underpaid and underbrained versions of cops.

13. aerostern

aerostern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who else you think is gonna work for practically nothing? The people at the airports that are doing these jobs are people who have nothing else going on, they are a slight step up from a McDowells fries cook...

jennyb and SouthernListen like this.
  14. chuk

chuk Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Quadruple the pay. Fire 75% of them. Problem solved.

15. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Website I checked says starting pay in Oakland is $25,000 (plus benefits).

In 6 months they'll be washing lettuce, in a year or two they'll be on the grill, then they make assistant manager, AND THAT'S WHEN THE BIG BUCKS START ROLLING IN.

16. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This virus name is really messing up the launch of my new webbsite with on-line bowling.

Maybe instead I'll go ahead with my other idea for a non profit to teach urban youts the benefits of organic gardening, Ganggreen.com

17. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Prior to the onset of death, affected persons may bleed from their eyeballs...:coffee: