BUZZ OSBORNE Says KURT COBAIN Documentary 'Montage Of Heck' Is 'Mostly Misguided Fiction'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by boognishstern, Jun 6, 2015.

1. boognishstern

boognishstern Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    MELVINS' BUZZ OSBORNE Says KURT COBAIN Documentary 'Montage Of Heck' Is 'Mostly Misguided Fiction'
    June 6, 2015 13 Comments

[​IMG]
    MELVINS singer Buzz Osborne has dismissed the Kurt Cobain documentary "Montage Of Heck" as "90% bullshit" and "mostly misguided fiction."

Osborne — whose band was commonly cited by the late frontman as one of the acts that shaped the sound of NIRVANA and overall grunge scene — took issue with the contents of the movie in an article posted to The Talkhouse.

"I went to high school with Kurt and was a big part of all the NIRVANA guys' lives before and after they became famous," Osborne writes. "I thought very highly of Kurt, Krist [Novoselic] and Dave [Grohl]. We were good friends when they were all flat broke, long before they could buy big houses and cars with credit cards. My band played with NIRVANA at their last show. I was there for the beginning and I was there for the end, for the very good and the very bad"

He continues: "First off, people need to understand that 90% of 'Montage Of Heck' is bullshit. Total bullshit. That's the one thing no one gets about Cobain — he was a master of jerking your chain."

Osborne questioned the accuracy of a story revealed in the movie that Cobain once had sexual intercourse with a mentally disabled girl that led Kurt to attempt suicide. "For instance, I know the whole 'I tried to fuck a fat retard' story is complete bullshit," he writes. "Not even an inkling of truth. That's too good a story to have gone this long without me hearing about it, especially if, as he suggests, the girl's father freaked out about it at the high school. In that small-town shit-hole, exciting news of that nature would have been common knowledge before the sun set. It never happened. And the trying-to-kill-himself-on-the-train-tracks story is bullshit as well. It never happened either. There it is, though, told in a recording of Kurt's own voice so it must be true... right? Wrong."

Osborne also downplayed Cobain's alleged medical problems. "Kurt also told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with his stomach," he states. "He made it up for sympathy and so he could use it as an excuse to stay loaded. Of course he was vomiting — that's what people on heroin do, they vomit. It's called 'vomiting with a smile on your face.'"

Osborne was especially critical of Cobain's widow, Courtney Love, who approached Brett Morgen with the original documentary idea in 2007 and subsequently gave the director access to her enormous personal archives.

"A lot of what [Courtney] says in this documentary doesn't exactly jibe with things Kurt told me himself, but I suppose that's not surprising when you consider history becomes elastic every time Courtney Love opens her mouth," Buzz writes. "For instance, she'd have us believe that Kurt tried to off himself when she'd only thought about cheating on him? Wow. That's a whole lot different from the stories he told me in regards to Courtney's behavior — and this was well before he ended up dead. And that's just one example."

He continues: "When Courtney speaks, the truth is certainly there, but God only knows where it begins and ends. In the 20 years since Kurt's death, the undisputed facts of some of her stories seem to change almost hourly. I remain unconvinced in regards to her testimony, and I don't think I'm alone."

Osborne goes on to describe the film as "mostly misguided fiction", writing: "I find it amusing that the filmmakers never bothered to fact-check simple stuff like this, and just took Kurt and Courtney at their word. That's a bit risky when you're supposed to be making a behind-the-scenes documentary — but not surprising considering that not a lot of what's out there about Kurt is the truth anyway. But no one seems to care. Unfortunately, it matters very little what the facts are; what matters is what people believe. And when it comes to Cobain, most of what they believe is fabricated nonsense. 'Montage Of Heck' does nothing to counter that. With that in mind, it's really hard to take any of this film seriously... I suppose this movie will be interesting for NIRVANA completists, because it certainly reinforces their already twisted view of the man."

During a 2013 interview with Consequence Of Sound, Osborne stated about Cobain: "People have said to me, which I think is crazy, 'Do you ever get jealous that Kurt Cobain got fame and money?' And I go, 'Kurt Cobain is fucking dead. Are you kidding? What are you talking about? You think I would trade places with a dead guy?' Yeah, I wish I had been more famous, and had more money, and was dead. No, no, no. I win. I win. He doesn't win. He loses. He's a major loser. His fucking loss. He left a baby at the mercy of that woman [Courtney Love]. And, it couldn't be worse. There's nothing good about any of that."

2. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Nirvana wasn't that good and neither are the melvins.

3. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    Sounds like a jealous, bitter prick. He only refuted one story. How does that make the film 90% bullshit? It was obvious to anyone with a brain that Kurt never had "stomach problems" other than junkie nausea.

4. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    He makes sense, and Courtney is a very ill skank so any documentary that has her blessing loses credibility.

lestanyonethink and XaltedSmoke like this.
  5. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I agree with of most of what he said but it's so obvious he's jealous he didn't reach that level of fame.

6. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ive always found Buzz Osboune's statements interesting. Kurt had a huge respect for the Melvins,and its always interesting to see that the Melvins dont have the same level of praise for kurt. however they also knew Kurt cobain well enough to have that opinion of him. Shows the reality of the situation.

XaltedSmoke and AmishGirl like this.
  7. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, I agree. This is the nirvana doc I'm interested in!

8. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    melvins as good as they are,just didnt do what Nirvana did. however theyve been around for a long time and have stayed with their modest level of success, Nirvana if given that longevity might have done much worse.

Drungle and Metalheavy19 like this.
  9. RONNIE THE CLAW

RONNIE THE CLAW Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I read Heavier than Heaven and it left me feeling very pained for this tortured artist who took his life. I want to see this new movie/documentary coming out this year!

10. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Sorry, gonna have to go with the guy who actually knew him.

11. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    as opposed to kurt's own journal writings and recording himself? did you watch the film?

12. Patron

Patron Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like this guy is protecting Kurt
    ....or maybe himself from that rape story

13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    No. Actually, not a fan, don't care
    :dancin:

14. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Exactly. We saw how Kurt saw himself, with fill-in commentary from his parents, sis, band mate and widow.

Was the director supposed to put these people on lie detectors while they spoke?

It's like when family sits around and talks about a deceased loved one - there is inherent bias and feelings involved. It wasn't meant to be a news reel.

15. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Kurt seemed like a whiny cunt.

16. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Oops. Artist. Sorry.

Gusbuss and Alisonsbankacct like this.
  17. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Meh. They were pretty good, but instantly overrated due to no fault of their own. I don't blame Cobain or the other guys in Nirvana. The chuckle-heads at Rolling Stone magazine and MTV decided to fall all over themselves promoting these guys. The music scene was desperately searching for something to replace 80s hair bands, and they all decided Seattle grunge was it. Cobain didn't seek that kind of fame and he certainly was not prepared for the consequences.

Honkey Donkey likes this.
  18. Buster Himan

Buster Himan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm reading that too.

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  19. pickles3000

pickles3000 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The dude.

[​IMG]

Seems trustworthy.

20. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    So because he never heard the retard story, it's 100% bullshit? He knew Kurt, we get it. But he didn't following the guy around 24/7. Maybe he fucked retards on the sly. Not exactly something you make sure you share with your friends. Or maybe he didn't. Point is, this guy doesn't actually know.

And another story Kurt is on tape telling is also bullshit? But he doesn't elaborate as to why it's bullshit. We're just supposed to trust him over Kurt's words. Because he knew him.

I don't know or care if Kurt really had stomach problems. I never found that the least bit interesting.

I'm with him on Courtney. She's a nut and a liar. Her commentary adds nothing as it's more likely to be bullshit than not.