Cable/Satellite Companies continue to raise prices on the eve of huge FCC decision

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by chapped, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    With the FCC poised to consider a new set of net neutrality rules in February, the next few weeks is expected to see a feverish amount of lobbying for and against the idea of reclassifying broadband like a utility.

Momentum has been building for such an approach ever since President Obama announced his support for reclassification, a moved opposed by major Internet service providers like Comcast, AT&T and Verizon.

FCC chairman Tom Wheeler has yet to unveil his latest proposal for net neutrality, but he is expected to circulate his plan in February, with the possibility of a vote later in the month. The FCC’s open meeting that month is on Feb. 26.

Republicans already are vowing to oppose Wheeler if he moves to reclassify the Internet as a Title II common carrier, the same regulatory designation given to phone service. Such a move would put the FCC on a firmer regulatory footing to prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against certain types of content, or from offering so-called fast lanes to companies that pay for speedier access to their subscribers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Time Warner Cable subscribers will see a new charge for sports programming on their bill as early as this month, a move the company blames on the increasing cost of carrying sports networks such as ESPN — but that some experts say risks pushing customers away.

Customers won't have the option of dropping any particular sports channel to avoid the $2.75-a-month fee, and they won't get anything extra for paying it.

Time Warner Cable says sports programming costs have increased 91% since 2008.

"The broadcasting TV and sports programming surcharges listed on customer bills represent only a fraction of what we actually pay for broadcast TV and sports content. Broadcast and sports programming costs are by far the biggest drivers of higher TV prices," Time Warner Cable spokesman Michael Hogan said.

Other video service providers also have announced surcharges and fee increases. AT&T recently announced price changes for early 2015 that included increases for broadcast TV content, bundle and Internet plan prices, and non-DVR set-top boxes.

DirecTV has announced price changes that include increases on subscriber packages, sports networks and additional outlets.

The question is how much consumers will tolerate before they downgrade or drop their service, according to telecom industry analysts.

"I think the bet that cable companies are still making is the price increases will more than offset whatever subscriber losses they might incur," said analyst William Power with Robert W. Baird & Co.

The issue has become more pressing as Internet streaming-video services such as Netflix and Hulu have grown in popularity. On Monday, satellite provider Dish Network announced an Internet streaming service that will include ESPN, the Disney Channel, CNN, the Food Network, TBS and several other popular cable channels for $20 a month.

Most people are not dropping cable altogether. "But if push comes to shove" they will seek alternatives, said analyst Derek Baine with media research firm SNL Kagan.

Other changes coming from Time Warner Cable include an $8-per-month Internet modem lease, up from $5.99 for subscribers who don't own their own cable modem, and a broadcast television surcharge increasing from $2.25 to $2.75 per month.

2. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    Ah, a thread in my honor

3. chapped

Reputations:

yep... now reclassify ISPs

4. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    I have no idea what're talking about

Pooh bear likes this.
  5. chapped

Reputations:
    sadly neither does the real FCC and that is scary...

6. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    Cablevision has been charging for sports programming for a while now.

Dreamking and Rockside7 like this.
  7. chapped

Reputations:
    You say that like you have accepted the bullshit.
    The more reason to reclassify ISPs/common broadband servies to common utilities and open up the telephone poles to allow more competition.

8. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Watch this for a rundown

joyceface likes this.
  9. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    When I read about this last week I went out and bought a cable modem to stop paying their rental fee. $8 a month? get the fuck out of here with that shit.

Here's the crazy shit -- I used to get voice and internet through their provided modem... so I buy a new modem (that only does internet) and they have me split the coax to the modem i already had to continue to do voice, and they take the rental fee off of my account.

IT'S THE SAME FUCKING MODEM - but now it's free because I bought my own to handle the internet....

What the actual fuck?

10. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    I will say this about sports, too - TWC is right, that shit is fucking expensive.

Cable providers pay ESPN over $6 a subscriber. Think about that - that's fucking serious $.

[​IMG]

ZosoHitler and x76 like this.
  11. deadbeat

deadbeat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. Rockside7

Rockside7 VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:

In LA, I get a couple dollar fee to show the Lakers Channel whether I want it or not.

I suspect that we will also get that for the Dodgers Channel sometime this year.

13. wife is a whore

wife is a whore Stripped of POTY for butthurting staff VIP

Reputations:
    What am I going to do about it? I aint going back to that POS DirectTv.

x76 likes this.
  14. chapped

Reputations:

John Oliver always nails that shit....

also.................

FCC 'Loses' 680K Net Neutrality Comments, Will Release Early Next Year

Go figure, in an important debate about net neutrality that has people and organizations on all sides of the issue blasting the Federal Communications Commission with comments, the FCC ended up losing a not-so-insignificant number of the comments it received.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2474199,00.asp

x76 likes this.
  15. chapped

Reputations:
    You do realize that the landscape of ISPs and Cable will change dramatically if Google along with other companies are given the same access to
    every cites ultitly poles right?

Look at Kansas City... cable companies treat their costumers like shit... raise prices, shit service.. Google comes into town
    and all of sudden cable companies LOWER prices and raise services...

there use to be this silly thing called completion that some how got away from America

gotnolife, ZosoHitler and x76 like this.
  16. chapped

Reputations:

wow.... fucking cock suckers...
    i dumped my cable company for DirectTV because I get more service for $40 dollars cheaper per month
    I am going to drop my old cable box off today and tell them to go fuck themselves
    i have zero loyalty to any of these companies.. i go with the cheaper price

BethsZygote and x76 like this.
  17. Mr Pink

Mr Pink Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Up until very recently, there was ONE option for cable and internet at my location. ONE. And yes, that includes satellite because of the wall of tall trees in the southern direction. Talk about a monopoly.

x76 likes this.
  18. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    Good stuff!

Thanks for posting that!

19. chapped

Reputations:
    what the fuck is 3net? ... and is TNT kidding?
    they could dump TNT and I most aAmericanswouldn't know about it for years

hey sucks for the guys who cuts the deals on that
    why should people pay for their shity negotiations??

20. chapped

Reputations:

that sucks.... why are monopolies allowed to exist in 2015?

x76 likes this.