Cable tv question

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by FCCstandards, Sep 7, 2013.

1. FCCstandards

FCCstandards Non-Essential Salooner VIP

Reputations:
    Added a second tv upstairs for the kids. Comcast customer, can I add a basic cable wire, no box, without a cost increase? Just do a dual wire? Thanks

2. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    You can, but the channels above 99 (basic cable) and HD channels will typically not be accessible. You can get the HD via an antenna - but the reception isn't great in most cities.

3. pontius pilot

pontius pilot #TeahmGandhiStarver VIP

Reputations:
    sim cards.

4. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yes. If you have them do it they will charge a one time fee.

If you do it yourself be careful and try not to split the signal that is going to your modem. Depending on the signal strength of your cable and how many times it is split at the box, splitting it again may drop it too low to power the modem properly.

5. sloth22

sloth22 Active Member

Reputations:
    Technically, you have to pay for each set.

But, yeah, everyone just runs another cable, it'll never be a problem.

6. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    They have Netflix because its wifi, they don't need anything but basic.

7. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

It depends on what Comcast did in your area. My Comcast area was switched to digital about 2 years ago. Before that I only needed one box.

I needed a box for every TV after the switch, the main one already had a big box that I paid for, they gave me two smaller digital converters free but they only showed up to channel 26. THen they did another upgrade and now you need to rent a box for each TV. I still only have one, I watch most TV online for free, I have my TV hooked up to my computer.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Where should I split the cable? I've got 2 ps3's going through the modem/wifi

9. DogStar69

Reputations:
    You split it where it's coming thru the wall. You can also buy a 3 way splitter or Comcast can give you a splitter and a free white cable that is about 20 feet long if you stop at the local office. If it'a already split (one incoming line split between two devices) you will have to split it again.

For about $50 they can add a connection to the bedroom a dedicated line from outside.

I just had a Comcast guy come to a new place where I moved. He had to connect it all the way from the source to the wall of the building because the old line was bad. I then asked him to put the line thru the wall in a different location in the living room where I was gonna put the TV . The last dummy had it put in (by the fridge) he also put a connection into my bedroom from the outside, separate white cable that I may use in the future and don't need right now.

10. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    So, I can legally buy stuff at Radio Shack to do this without Comcast knowing, and they get basic tv? That's all I need.

11. DogStar69

Reputations:
    It depends on the system, First try a splitter nearby and connect the TV, if you get juice it's fine. Most likely Comcast switched to digital and you won't be able to.

It's certainly not illegal to do it yourself if you can get a signal. You are paying for the cable service to your home. There is no per TV charge if you don't need a box.

12. Goods

Goods Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This.

13. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Here's what my cable installer told me - split once on the main line coming to the house. One goes to the cable modem, the other gets split to all of the TVs. Use a signal booster on the TV end if needed. I'm running Internet and 6 TVs (only 2 have boxes) and one projector that shares a TV box in various rooms and it works like a charm.

14. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Fuck, I think I'm digital. I wasn't 5 years ago when I did it the first time.

15. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    I would rather talk to a "contractor" then an actual comcast employee,

16. DogStar69

Reputations:
    Yes, the employees and technical support are morons. All TS tells you is to turn off your router and modem and check the plugs.

The thing is your can't talk to a contractor unless you know one.

I was told when I was moving that there had been cable service on in the last 6 months so I could just hook up the old equipment from my old place. Instead I was on the phone with them for 40 minutes and then got transferred to someone who told me it would be on in 24 hours. 7 days later with no cable or internet was the first appointment.

the contractor came and the line was dead and he had to do the whole thing from the pole. Which was actually a box in the ground and the poor guy had to bury the line with a shovel when he finished. I tipped him, he did a great job. He said Comcast treats them like shit too, Pays him $40 for almost 3 hours work, and if he forgets 1 clip they fine him $20 or $30.

17. FCCstandards

Reputations:
    Can you come to my house?

18. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    when i added another tv i got a 'digital box' off them for like $3 a month.
    no guide, and it doesnt get all the channels

19. nearly.normal

nearly.normal Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I installed for Time Warner for a couple years.

Ideally you will want to split at the box outside. On the side of your house.

If you use a 2 way splitter you lose 3.5db from your signal on both legs. If you use a 3 way splitter you lose 7.5db on two legs and 3.5 on the other. On a four way splitter you lose 7.5 on all legs.

So let's say you have 5db coming from the tap at the street to your house and it's split with a four way at the box, you're down to -2.5, then you split it again inside the house with a two way, now you're at -6db At that level modems and even boxes can start to act funky or not work at all.

The ideal situation is to put a two way splitter at the main line outside in your box. Send one leg of that to your modem. That way it gets the least loss, then put a short jumper on the other leg and then another splitter using the least outputs needed to feed the rest of the house.

If you only need three lines going in the house, you could use a three way splitter on the direct feed at the box, but put the modem on the -3.5db leg and feed the tvs with the other two -7.5db legs. It will say on the splitter which is which.

Basically, use the smallest splitter outside you need. Never have open ports on splitters, buy a smaller one. Try to avoid splitting a split signal and try to send the modem the most direct feed.

Hopefully your tap feed is strong enough and close enough to you that you never have to worry about the above. But if you add a line or split one and things act funky you at least have an idea what might be up.

20. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    im getting fios installed next week. anything i should know or do?
    do they run all new lines or tap into existing cable once in house?