Californians now have even less guns to choose from - Strict new laws

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by dawg, Jan 5, 2015.

1. dawg

dawg In The Dog House Staff Member

Reputations:
    CA gun law: AB 1964 Single Shot Exemption Ban (2014) In a move that a gun rights group contend will ban the sale of most of the remaining modern handguns in California, Gov. Jerry Brown signed AB 1964. Current law allows a gun shop to convert a semiautomatic handgun not on the state’s approved roster to fire single-shot only (no semiautomatic reload of a bullet in the firing chamber), typically through use of a magazine plug and extended barrel. Now, instead of allowing semi-auto handguns, the legislation will limit the guns eligible to be converted to “break-top or bolt-action” only. Further, the bill requires any gun that has been converted to meet all of the same testing requirements on the state’s dwindling approved handgun list. AB 1964 had previously passed the Assembly by a 48-25 vote and the Senate by 22-13 before being signed without comment by Brown along with 14 other bills Friday.

The legislation’s sponsor, Assemblyman Roger Dickinson (D-Sacramento), contends that as many as 18,000 of what he terms “unsafe” single-shot handguns were transferred in the state in 2013, and his bill, now signed into law would halt this practice.
    Gun control groups were elated Friday at the news of Brown’s signature on AB 1964, believing it closed a loophole in state law.

“The restriction is not on the purchaser or owner, it’s on the dealer. There is nothing that says you can’t own a handgun not on the approved roster, it says a dealer can’t sell it,” said Big Shot store manager Steven Rubert.
    Rubert added that the new change would make a number of the guns in their inventory partially useless.

“We are either going to need to sell online or out of state to purchasers who live in a state where it would be legal for them to own it or law enforcement officers which we have a lot here in San Diego,” said Rubert.

Head Censor and JameGumb like this.
  2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Strict gun control is bad for the gun owners of California, but great for the criminals of California.

1Vegasgirl, jake206, PI Nate and 5 others like this.
  3. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    I bought a Ruger P-85 25 years ago when I was in the academy because that was the service weapon the S.O. was using at that time. I also have several large capacity magazines for it too, at this point with all the bullshit laws that have been passed since I left almost 13 years ago, I bet everything is now illegal in some form or another. It's being stored with a relative right now, I don't think it'll ever see the light of day again, because I don't feel like checking into it.

1Vegasgirl and Head Censor like this.
  4. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Disarm the law-abiding to control the behavior of criminals.

If only the rest of the country were as wise and progressive and enlightened as Californians, what a wonderful world it would be.

1Vegasgirl and Head Censor like this.
  5. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    As I mentioned in a recent thread, California lawmakers have taken legislation that was initially intended years ago to prevent only the sale of very specific models of very poorly manufactured "Saturday night special" type handguns and incrementally perverted these laws to the point where the state now simply publishes a roster of handguns they will allow to be sold in the state rendering all others illegal by default. They do this by continually and arbitrarily changing their definition of what constitutes a "safe" handgun. Ironically, in some instances, the "safety" features they mandate have the effect of rendering the gun less safe to operate. We're now at the point where a large majority of the safest, most well manufactured and most effective self defense handguns in the world can no longer be sold here.

The Single Shot Exemption was a way for knowledgeable and responsible gun owners to legally import these handguns through a licensed dealer at the expense of some added cost and hassle. Now that's been done away with, as well. So the next time you read a story about gun owners in some other state resisting a proposed law that claims it wants to protect citizens from dangerous, shoddily manufactured Saturday night specials - and you can't understand why they would oppose something so reasonable - this is the reason why.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  6. sfgirl

sfgirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    And crime.....has that gone down because of these laws? I don't think so.
    I have no doubt; if you want a gun, you can get a gun. PERIOD.

7. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    So I guess reggie and the boyz will be turning in their illegal weapons and comply with the law.

8. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In a perfect word, the mentally ill wouldn't get their hands on guns. For the most part, they don't, but when they do, they do severe and horrific damage. How do you stop the Eric Frein's of the world?

Droog likes this.
  9. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
  10. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Good question. It's too bad we invented weapons that could kill in mass. Pretty hard to kill a school full of people with a musket.

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 likes this.
  11. JME

JME Active Member

Reputations:
    I'm glad I already have the guns I want.. California really Sucks. :facepalm: