Cam Newton's reason for not diving on the fumble

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by PullMyFinger, Feb 9, 2016.

1. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    "I didn't get the fumble, but we can play tit for tat," Newton said. "I've seen numerous quarterbacks throw interceptions and their effort afterward. They don't go.

"I don't dive on one fumble because the way my leg was, it could have been contorted in a way... But we didn't lose the game because of that fumble."

Link to full article and interview.

Cam Newton Proud To Be A Sore Loser

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  2. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  3. Blackened

Blackened Commitment to Excellence

Reputations:

Gwarn1 and PullMyFinger like this.
  4. gwartney

gwartney Unafilliated Gold

Reputations:
    He proved himself to be a little bitch. I defended him all season saying if you don't like his style, beat him. Then when he was beaten, he acted like a spoiled brat. Fuck him I hope he breaks that leg.

5. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
  6. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Hors d'oeuvre Addict VIP

Reputations:
    Way too many buttons fastened on that shirt.

Swedish John likes this.
  7. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He's not conforming to the white man

8. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Did you all know Peyton manning teabagged some poor athletic traininer in college?

While quarterback for the Tennessee Volunteers, a respected trainer, Jamie Ann Naughright, testified that while she bent down to look at Peyton Manning's feet, he pulled his pants down and sat his testicles on her face. Within hours of the incident, she reported it to the sex crimes division at the University of Tennessee.

The school settled her lawsuit, which included other alleged incidents of sexual harassment during her time at the school.

At first Manning denied it ever happened at all. Then, Mike Rollo, another staff member with the team who wasn't even there during the incident, advised him to say that he was actually mooning a nearby player when Jamie Ann Naughright happened to move her face into his nude pelvic region. After days of denying it, Manning then stuck to the mooning narrative.

Of course, one person could have settled all of this for Peyton — Malcolm Saxon — the cross country track athlete who Peyton Manning claimed was the intended target of his mooning. Saxon wanted no part of it though. In court records uncovered by USA Today all the way back in 2003, a letter from Saxon stated:

"Bro, you have tons of class, but you have shown no mercy or grace to this lady who was on her knees seeing if you had a stress fracture. She was minding her own business when your book came out. Peyton, the way I see it, at this point, you are going to take a hit either way, if you settle out of court or if it goes to court. You might as well maintain some dignity and admit to what happened. Your celebrity doesn't mean you can treat folks that way. Do the right thing here."

After the University of Tennessee settled the lawsuit by Jamie Ann Naughright, part of the conditions were that both she and Manning would never talk about the incident again. In a book co-authored with his father, though, Manning not only downplayed the incident as "vulgar" playfulness that he thought she would laugh at, he said she often used vulgar language herself, which gave him the impression that they could go tit for tat.

In another court record, Manning said he could recall just one specific time and place where the trainer Naughright was vulgar. It was on a trip to Virginia for a conference on drug education attended by just four student athletes. According to Manning, the trainer referred to the athletes as "motherf---ers".

The thing is, the other students there, without equivocation, all said no such thing happened. According to the original report,

"In an affidavit, Geno Devane, now a medical student in Miami, said that at no time during the weekend did he hear those words. 'I can assure you that I would remember,’ he said. ‘I would have been very upset if that had occurred. That type of language would have been completely out of character because she was always very professional around me and other student-athletes.’

Eric Lane, then a teammate of Manning's, said that he couldn't recall Naughright using those words."

By this time, Jamie Ann Naughright, who had a dream job at the University of Tennessee, was asked to leave the school as a part of her settlement. She moved on and became a trainer at another university when Manning's book came out. Not only did Manning violate the settlement by speaking of her and the incident in the book, she said his false statements about her cost her job at the new school.

She then sued Manning herself, for violating the agreement and costing her another position, where she was receiving rave reviews at the time.

Manning and his lawyers asked for the case to be dismissed, but the judge, Polk County Circuit Judge Harvey A. Kornstein denied the motion and put Peyton Manning on blast. In his statement, he said:

"Even if the plaintiff is a public figure, the evidence of record contains sufficient evidence to satisfy the court that a genuine issue of material fact exists that would allow a jury to find, by clear and convincing evidence, the existence of actual malice of the part of the defendants."

"Specifically, there is evidence of record, substantial enough to suggest that the defendants knew that the passages in question were false, or acted in reckless disregard of their falsity. There is evidence of record to suggest that there were obvious reasons to doubt the veracity of Peyton Manning's account of the incident in question. The court further finds that there is sufficient evidence to permit the conclusion that the defendants entertained serious doubts as to the truth of the passages in this case."

In other words, Judge Kornstein said that there is evidence to support the conclusion that Peyton Manning lied in his book about the incidents and knew he was lying about the incidents and appeared to have ill intent in doing so.

Needless to say, after that harsh ruling, the Manning family quickly settled the lawsuit with her.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
    alittlebitcunty and PullMyFinger like this.
  9. Ridic

Ridic Too ridic to quit Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm sure all the pro-labor/anti-corporation nerds will spin this to be the NFL's fault since contracts aren't guaranteed.

PullMyFinger likes this.
  10. Ridic

Reputations:
    Yes and I've always assumed everyone knew about it.

PullMyFinger likes this.
  11. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Newton blew his one and only chance..see Marino

12. Mlaw

Reputations:
    I honestly didn't--why do you think that hasn't dogged him in the least?

ALERT

Chrisboom, Shivvy and PullMyFinger like this.
  13. Ridic

Reputations:
    What college dude hasn't tea bagged a chick?

PullMyFinger and Stew Nod like this.
  14. Mlaw

Reputations:
    She was doing her job, there were two lawsuits about it, not the same thing at all, take your troll hat off

PullMyFinger likes this.
  15. Ridic

Reputations:
    Even so it was 20 years ago when he was immature college kid. Tiny blemish on an otherwise tarnish free body of work and career.

PullMyFinger likes this.
  16. Ridic

Reputations:
    Btw, what does Peyton exposing himself to a trainer in college have to do with Cam admitting to putting himself way above the team in the Super Bowl?

Napoleon V and PullMyFinger like this.
  17. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    Pussy move :jj:

PullMyFinger and Ridic like this.
  18. Ridic

Reputations:
    I felt bad for Cam and was giving him the benefit of the doubt on that play but if he chose to give away the game by not trying to recover his own fumble because he was scared of getting hurt then he deserved to lose. Can't respect a guy like that.

19. Mlaw

Reputations:
    We'll see how unblemished it remains, his wife getting drugs shipped to her for some unknown medical condition seems kind of sketchy

i'm viewing this thread as a football thread, rather than make a new one

PullMyFinger likes this.
  20. DrivenByDemons

DrivenByDemons Spinoff Jesus Staff Member

Reputations:
    Thank god someone else took the nfl pussy title from cutler.

Mur, Napoleon V, Ridic and 5 others like this.