Canadian mom kills infant, sickens 4 other children after using pesticide in apartment against bedbugs: officials BY Sasha Goldstein NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, February 24, 2015, 8:29 AM CBC Officials evacuated the Fort McMurray, Alberta, apartment after a mom used a pesticide illegally inside her home to fumigate for bedbugs, poisoning her five children. A Canadian mom accidentally poisoned her five children, killing an infant and leaving the other four hospitalized in critical condition, after she used an agricultural pesticide she brought from Pakistan to fumigate her apartment for bedbugs, officials in Alberta said. The mom spread pellets of the poison phosphine Tuesday around her Fort McMurray apartment and became concerned when all five children began vomiting Saturday. Her 8-month-old girl died after the mother took the kids to the hospital Sunday, while the other four, between ages 2 and 7, remain critically ill. “She just wanted to kill bugs, and she just put some medicine over there in (the) apartment because she complained to the apartment caretaker and she didn't respond to anything,” the woman’s sister, Shazia Yarkhan, told CTV Edmonton. Firefighters found the dangerous fumigant, which attacks the central nervous system and is for commercial use only, in an unlabeled container. Officials said the pesticide was brought into Canada illegally. Alex Brandon/AP Officials say the pellets will kill the bedbugs — but the pesticide also killed a baby. “It will kill the bed bugs, but it’s nasty stuff,” James Kehrer, a toxicologist at the University of Alberta told the Edmonton Journal. “Children are more susceptible to these things ... It should only be used by a professional.” In the United States, the pesticide is also highly regulated and requires “proper dispensing equipment and training in fumigation is necessary” for use, according to the federal Environmental Protection Agency. Firefighters found a dangerously high reading of the poison inside the home, and other nearby residents were briefly evacuated. The pesticide killed two Quebec sisters in 2012 during a vacation in Thailand. The women were found dead in a hotel room days after their arrival in the Asian country, according to the newspaper.