**Captain Philips on Discovery 10pm viewing thread**

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Nemo, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    Captain Phillips: Somali Pirates Inside Story
    [​IMG]

2. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    In I hope.

3. Phillipmcd

Phillipmcd Active Member

Reputations:
    Da Boat Movie?

4. BarberFloyd

BarberFloyd God Bless DuPont Chemicals Banned User

Reputations:
    I was only ever interested in the Navy SEAL team snipers that took the pirates out thousands of yards away in the middle of the ocean calculating wind, the waves, the movement of the targets... must have been a incredible shot to pull off those kind of moves. Almost makes me wish there was video available.. As for the Tom Hanks Oscar dick-sucking circus of a movie, I'll pass, I heard the real Philips wasn't happy with how they portrayed him physically..

[video=vimeo;24972525]http://vimeo.com/24972525[/video]

5. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For the DVR-less, that channel is torture with the 5-minute ad breaks every 5 minutes.

6. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    ugh, then I probably won't last

7. ohmicah

ohmicah Real Gad About Town

Reputations:
    The real crew wasn't too happy with Captain Phillips either. The crew tells a story of a head strong lunatic who put them in harms way against ALL advice. They feel so strong about it they are suing the Captain and the shipping company for damages.

8. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    10 minutes
    :coffee:

9. VAsiCkBoy

VAsiCkBoy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They filmed some of that around here. He ate at a bunch of local restaurants.
    Everyone said he's a super nice guy.
    [​IMG]

10. AGT Blows

AGT Blows Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Shit, that sucks. I thought it was a great movie. I didn't know the real captain was a douche.

11. ohmicah

Reputations:
    This is from a good article about the Captain. He lives about 30 miles from here, so he's kind of a celebrity around here.

Some crewmembers alleged later that Phillips ignored warnings to keep his ship at least 600 miles from shore. As of last year, 11 had filed suit against Maersk for endangering their lives. The company has called their claims “meritless.”)

http://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/...lips-is-still-at-the-helm/Content?oid=2266255

12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    I read several columns claiming the movie was the opposite of the real story, and that the crew thought he was a fool and a martinet.

13. GQtaste

GQtaste Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    His crew tell a different story:

[video=youtube;YYEM6NnUmeU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEM6NnUmeU[/video]

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/crew-members-deny-captain-phillips-heroism/

DEATH WISH

Chief Engineer Mike Perry, who has a small presence in the film, was perhaps the most heroic. He led most of the crew downstairs and locked them in; he disabled all systems; he attacked the chief pirate, seizing him and using him as a bargaining chip for Phillips.
    Most of this is accurately depicted in the movie — until, Perry has said, the moment of exchange, when the Maersk crew tries to swap the pirate for Phillips.

We vowed we were going to take it to our graves, that we weren’t going to say anything,” Perry told CNN in 2010. “Then we hear this p.r. stuff about him giving himself up . . . and the whole crew’s like, ‘What?’ ” “If you’re gonna shoot somebody, shoot me!” Hanks pleads in the film. It didn’t go down like that, say several crew members: The pirates just reneged on the deal, grabbing their guy and making off with Phillips in a Maersk lifeboat.

While the remaining crew waited for the Navy to reach them, they sat and wondered: What just happened? Four days later, Phillips was rescued by SEAL Team Six. He was hailed as an American hero. He met with President Obama in the Oval Office and wrote a memoir.

For some of the crew, it was too much. In their version, Phillips was the victim of a botched exchange. In 2009, he told ABC News he was taken after promising to show the pirates how to operate their escape boat. His book was packaged as the story of a man who gave himself up for his crew, which Phillips later said was a false narrative spread by the media. Today he tells The Post, “I was already a hostage,” but remains vague on the exchange.

Perry and third engineer John Cronan went to CNN, speaking of Phillips’ recklessness, claiming he endangered all their lives.

Perry said he and other crew believed Phillips had a perverse desire to be taken hostage. “That’s what many of us officers were saying to ourselves,” he said.

The crew member, who is not part of the suit, agrees Phillips had a death wish: “Yeah,” he says. “Because he went through that area, and the company is sending him e-mails, and I know he saw that chart [of prior attacks] 50 times.”

“It is galling for them to see Captain Phillips set up as a hero,” Waters said. “It is just horrendous, and they’re angry.”

In the run-up to Friday’s release of “Captain Phillips,” Hanks has appeared on the cover of Parade magazine with Phillips and the headline “The Making of an American Hero.” The film won the opening-night slot at the New York Film Festival on Sept. 28 and opened the London Film Festival last Wednesday. It has won raves, all of which note the film is based on real events. The two men have walked the red carpet together.

Not all of the crew cooperated with the movie, and those who did were paid as little as $5,000 for their life rights by Sony and made to sign nondisclosure agreements — meaning they can never speak publicly about what really happened on that ship.
    It’s the film’s version of events — and Hanks’ version of Phillips — that will be immortalized.
    “They told us they would change some stuff,” says the crew member, laughing. By the end of Friday, opening day, he had seen the film. “It’s a good movie,” he says dryly. “Real entertaining.”

14. Kracka-Mike

Kracka-Mike Temp Ban Gold

Reputations:
    Another overhyped and false story to distract us from our problems. Cause if you think Captain Phillips lied you are against freedom and 'murica. ya know

15. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Source?

16. ohmicah

Reputations:
    Try the link that I posted.

17. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sounds like sour grapes for the crew since Philips is in the limelight and they aren't. Read the book, forget the movie.

18. MrPACS

MrPACS Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sorry but I don't see a link in the post I quoted.

19. Rescued Owl

Rescued Owl VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Wait a minute , black pirates did something bad ?
    Are we sure Capt. Phillips didn't use the N-word to trigger this ?

20. ohmicah

Reputations: