Carnival cruise passengers sue seeking $5,000 a month for life

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by HS Cult Leader, Mar 11, 2014.

1. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:
    Carnival cruise passengers sue seeking $5,000 a month for life

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55pm EDT

[​IMG]

(Reuters) - A group of passengers suing Carnival cruise lines for damages after an engine fire left their ship adrift for days are asking the company to pay $5,000 a month for the rest of their lives for medical bills and mental anguish.
    A lawsuit brought by 33 passengers of the ill-fated 2013 voyage could change how cruise lines insulate themselves from legal actions, according to maritime legal experts.
    A second pending lawsuit with three-times as many plaintiffs has the potential to further undo the advantageous legal position cruise lines have long enjoyed.
    Both cases stem from a February 2013 incident when the Carnival Triumph broke down after launching from Galveston, Texas for what was to be a four-day cruise with a stop in Cozumel, Mexico.
    A fire broke out in the ship's engine room as it was returning from Cozumel. The Triumph was left without engine power, or air conditioning and working toilets. Stalled in the Gulf of Mexico for five days, passengers described human waste seeping into hallways, and being forced to sleep on deck under makeshift tarps with no cooked food.
    A federal judge in South Florida last week finished hearing three weeks of testimony from passengers and is expected to issue a judgment in the next two months.
    The Miami lawsuit is the first from the Triumph incident to go to trial, with others in preparation, according maritime lawyers.
    In a statement, Carnival Corp said that while it recognizes its guests experienced uncomfortable conditions, everyone returned safely and were provided with a full refund, a free future cruise and an additional $500 per person.
    "This is an opportunistic lawsuit brought by plaintiff's counsel and plaintiffs who seek to make a money grab," a company spokeswoman said.
    One of the plaintiffs, Debra Oubre, 59, said she has experienced panic and anxiety attacks since the cruise, and also blames the experience for a urinary tract infection.

"It was chaotic. People were in dire need of help," said Oubre. "We were standing in line for food for five hours."
    Federal judge Donald Graham has already ruled that the engine catching on fire is proof alone of negligence on the part of Carnival, a significant blow for the cruise line, according to Robert Peltz, a Miami maritime lawyer.
    "It would seem rather obvious that ships shouldn't just catch fire and then have fire suppression systems that don't work," Peltz said.
    Carnival has since started a fleet-wide "enhancement," including a major re-wiring of its engine rooms and improvements to fire safety and emergency power features.
    Cruise lines like Carnival have successfully inoculated themselves against passenger lawsuits by printing stringent terms on their tickets that require passengers to waive their right to a class-action lawsuit.
    Graham's ruling, which is expected to come in the next two months, could find the terms of conditions printed on the tickets, so-called "contracts of adhesion," to be overreaching.
    The contracts have rankled some federal judges in southern Florida where several cruise lines are based, according to maritime lawyer, David Neblett. The splintering of myriad cruise cases for relatively meager sums clogs their calendars, he said.
    One term of the ticket contract is that passengers can only bring their cases to the Southern District of Florida and plaintiffs lawyers complain that people coming from other states to litigate is too costly for them.

2. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    No way. Everyone is looking to make money because they are soft. Mental anguish? "I saw feces and had to sleep on a boat deck for 5 days. I need millions." It sucks...yes, but grow up. You're totally fine. :rolleye:

Honestly, look at Rose from the documentary Titanic. That ship went down with much drama around her. She lost the man she loved too and she was fine and went on to do great things as we see from the pictures they showed of her life. So everyone man up.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  3. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What did they win, Publishers Clearing House.

4. 922Wine

922Wine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Too many fucking lawyers.

5. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    This is the same society that sues if their coffee is too hot, or if they can't get a sex change operation in Jail....we are fucked as a society....

6. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    so misinformed, a cup of coffee shouldn't cause 3rd degree burns and require multiple skin grafts, and the sex change case, is about denying medically necessary care.

Cruise lines have ben responsible for deaths, rapes, an injuries and because they are all registered in banana republics they can't be held accountable

7. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...you couldnt get me on one of those ships even if it was free.

8. 922Wine

922Wine Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If every passenger suing for $5K a month for life had been killed (so obviously their ghost would be suing), raped or really injured, then I'd be all for it, but we're not talking about any of those things.

9. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    all the workers/staff are 3rd world minimum wage living in terrible qtrs....how much real cleaning/sanitizing do you think they are really doing on every passenger changeover? floating nasty cesspools or petrie dishes if you will.

10. Shamrock12

Shamrock12 Bouncy... Bouncy...

Reputations:
    um you also should not be driving with a cup of coffee between your legs... I like my coffee/tea hot, that fucker ruined it for me

11. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    No, I'm not misinformed, I'll give you the old lady with the cup of coffee, and If something is "medically necessary, of course provide it, I do not believe a sex change is medically necessary, sorry, just my opinion.....but do you know how many men get themselves into jail just so that the state can pay for their medical needs??? We are a litigious society, and we as a people feel that anything that slightly offends us or makes us uncomfortable is a case for a lawsuit....it costs us as a society.....and there are more lawyers willing to take these bullshit cases than are necessary.... (I am the wife of a litigator and former DA, btw).....

12. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that a lawyer justifies scumbag lawsuits. :coffee:

Hot coffee is hot and a sex change isn't medically necessary. :toptip:

13. Tinman

Tinman Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Ummm, she wasn't driving.

I hate to say it, but Mlaw is right in this case.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

14. Shamrock12

Reputations:

After receiving the order, the grandson pulled his car forward and stopped momentarily so that Liebeck could add cream and sugar to her coffee. (Critics of civil justice, who have pounced on this case, often charge that Liebeck was driving the car or that the vehicle was in motion when she spilled the coffee; neither is true.) Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

fine.. do it on a table instead of between your legs... why put a hot object you dont seem to have control of on your lap...

15. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    This is an opportune time for Kathy Lee to break into song and make this whole thing go away.

16. Shamrock12

Reputations:
    everyone is just too sue happy

17. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...plus youre a sitting duck in the middle of the ocean with your life in these peoples hands. i like my surroundings just fine my ego doesnt need a cruise vacation.

18. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah I agree with Mlaw here. McDonald's deserved that lawsuit against them. They had over 700 complaints of burns at the time and they kept their coffee at 190 degrees. That's insane. You had to wait 20 minutes just to drink the damn thing.

19. Shamrock12

Reputations:
    lol she is fucking ridiculous!

20. Hank Douglas

Hank Douglas Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Okay I'm guessing you're all refering to the famous McDonalds case and in that instance the coffee was actuallly way way wayy too hot. It fucking melted part of that ladies vagina for fucks sake. If you don't see a problem with that you're retarded. I agree that this lawsuits get out of hand but that McDonalds thing just got flack because of the media and some of you at it all up apparently. She wanted her medical bills payed, not to live like a queen for the rest of her life.