Carolla's show has gone off a cliff

Discussion in 'Other Shows' started by koclem, Nov 9, 2013.

1. koclem

koclem .|..O..|. VIP Banned User

Reputations:
    endless money grubbing, constant shitty live shows and the same tired rants and topics being discussed between 3-4 different podcasts :shit:

2. qb123

qb123 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yeah Im not listening to it at all anymore, it has become insufferably self-indulgent. Thank god I found o&a or Id have nothing to listen to.

3. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Still better than Stern.

4. koclem

Reputations:
    yea out of desperation I just started to listen to O&A a few weeks ago, its going ok...

so far my favorite show was the one Norton and Florentine hosted themselves

5. koclem

Reputations:
    :no:

6. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Ha, I love it when you guys catch up.

Here's the reality: he's been a repetious jackass since 2004, you just didn't become a fan until much later in his career so it was all new to you for awhile. Check out any old Loveline shows like the "Classic Loveline" podcast they got, it was all fresh, all the time.

Carolla used to bash stand-up comics for repeating the same material every night and how it robbed the audience and showed a lack of true comedic ability. He would even interview people and ask "ugh, how do you DO that?"

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  7. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Again, I mic myself shitting into a Folger's can after an Indian buffet and it's going to "better than Stern", that's no point you made.

8. jat87

jat87 Active Member

Reputations:
    Have to agree that it's better than Stern, even though it's a tired point. I can root for Adam when he plugs a Mangria appearance - there's no such good will when Howard half-heartedly reads a plug for a product he'd never be caught dead using. The live Carolla shows are huge hit-or-miss affairs, but I'd still rather listen to a bad Adam than a good 2013 Stern right now. This past year, there's been months-long diversions that were meh. Mark Geragos on once a week, now not at all...Jo Koy's been on every week lately too, but I assume that'll go away by 2014, or at least slow down.

9. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Does he still threaten to legitimately beat up engineers with his scary boxing skillz when they play a drop or sound clip that makes him look foolish?

Real man's man.

Howard may be a big baby now, but at one point the hooknosed jew bastard at least let himself be joked about and ribbed. Jackie called him fag constantly.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  10. koclem

Reputations:
    as terrible as the HSS is nowadays, the Corolla podcast is just worse

one bad Richard or Sal bit is still better than anything Corolla puts out there these days.

11. Gogol Boobdello

Gogol Boobdello Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i kind of feel the same way, but i do dig when Jo Koy and DAG are on. i still listen to podcasts, stopped listening to the Adam and Dr Drew podcast though

otherwise same rants about Cali/ LA mayor/ airlines/ goal posts height/ Mangria labels/

12. whatsit

whatsit Dawg Lover VIP

Reputations:
    The interview with Artie recently was really good. Somebody made a thread about it.

13. koclem

Reputations:
    I was listening to the Adam and Drew podcast for a while but as soon as it became a regular show it went to shit, Ace On the House fell apart at the exact same time too.

14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    That Adam & Drew show is so weird when they took calls.

Does Adam ever take real calls ever? It's so weird, he cut his teeth on audience interaction, now lives in a bubble world.

15. koclem

Reputations:
    I think maybe because Dr Drew still does Loveline that he cant duplicate the format with Adam? Either way the show is unlistenable and somehow brings out the worst in both of these guys, unlike the old Loveline these guys did which was funny

16. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I don't understand how it already doesn't duplicate Loveline, real callers or Carolla fan callers should be irrelevant, it's a human behavior/relationship show with callers and a doctor, that's Loveline.

In all fairness to Carolla, his current product is better than current Loveline. Mike Catherwood has to be the biggest sun washed airheaded sociopath mimbo on the planet.

The other night Drew had his dingbat wife on who believes in psychics, and this dude was doing the cheezy readings and every person in studio or on phone was eating it up like ice cream. Fuck Stanhope's dipshit AA rant, take away the Doc's med license for that shit.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  17. koclem

Reputations:

I suppose the difference from Loveline is that Loveline has a format and structure. I agree that Loveline in its current form is unlistenable although I am not sure the Adam and Drew show is "better"

Thankfully missed the show you mention, sounds like a real barnburner, psychics? really?

Dr Drew has lost his way (and identity) in the last couple years. he is toiling in some no mans land between DR, TV/Radio Host, general personality and political hack

18. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Totally lost his way, reminds me of that jack of all trades, master of none addage. More people than ever love him, he's a household name, yet I feel very little of what he taught me on the old Loveline is expressed by the society he now helps influence.

The psychic was James Van Praagh and some other "medium" chick. It was way more disgusting than I could express, Drew's wife was going on about how she was obsessed with his new book and her and Drew were "big fans." After some 14 year old was like, "wow, I'm so excited to have this panel of experts answer my question" and Drew said jack shit I tried to call into my first radio show ever, but got the busy signal.

Show's weird, it used to get into the trauma that shaped aggressive sexual behavior, now it indulges in it like a Stern clone or cheap late night "sexperts" who hock anal gel and tell 13 year old girl's to not be so uptight and bang around.

And I'm convinced Mike is cheating on his pregnant wife with that chick they have in on Thursdays. Drew even pointed out the sexual tension, their reaction said it all.

I'd tune in just to hear this obvious Craig Gass' wannabe version of Gene Simmons that Mike has been doing that sounds nothing like anyone. He even screws up the "KissOnline.com" mantra Craig does so well. He's truly the worst impressionist I've ever heard.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  19. koclem

Reputations:
    you think Carrola will right this ship or is his podcast is on the way to being over?

20. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I feel like his quality has always gotten worse, yet somehow he's still the #1 podcast, right? I don't see how it could end, some people really worship the guy, it's free and easy access, I gotta say he's got good marketing, anytime I get a podcast of anything I gotta click past his mug. Plus,he manages to get good guests that he never let's talk.

I really can't believe he made it this far. I listened to him on the west coast FM when he took over for Stern and had to retool his on-air staff like four times in the first year and thought his days were numbered.

I gotta think Stern's quality decline contibuted to his success, because when the Sirius years were rocking nobody gave a fuck about "ace".