Cast Iron Pans

Discussion in 'Chez Dawgs' started by they're at it again, Jun 13, 2015.

1. they're at it again

they're at it again Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I got my first set of cast iron pans they are preseasoned but when ever I cook with them everything sticks to the pan.
    I grease the an with olive oil before I cook but it doesn't seem to work. What does everyone use to keep things from sticking to cast iron pans, Pam, Vegetable Oil?

Thanks

2. Tranquil

Tranquil Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What are you cooking? I can probably help you out, I use a cast iron almost daily. I even cook eggs sunny side up and they turn out great.

For your question of cleaning and greasing, I don't grease them, I typically cook burgers, steak, chicken, lot of other stuff. But my point is that most foods cooked in a cast iron contain grease, all you really need to do is clean it with hot water and a brush until it looks clean then set in on your stove at medium heat for 3 minutes until you hear the water sizzle, then turn off heat, it's clean. Water alone will not remove all the grease so your cast iron will remain greasy.

However the proper way to take care of a cast iron is to clean it with hot water, then add some oil, (vegetable, canola, olive oil, doesn't matter) to the pan just a little bit, and kosher salt, rub it around with a paper towel until clean, you may have to use more than one paper towel to make sure all the salt is gone. Then set in a preheated 350 degree oven for a minute or two until dry. That is far to time consuming and waste of materials for me to use, but this is the 'correct' way.

monsoon and Lemmy like this.
  3. face palm

face palm Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Asshat

Asshat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Make sure pan is as hot as it needs to be, only then add whatever grease or oil you are using.

Never mind, looks like OP has been shot dead.