Entertainment CBS Airing Repeats of 'The Mentalist' Instead of Letterman This Summer

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Rupert Pupkin, May 26, 2015.

1. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    I was looking through the TV listings and noticed that CBS was airing an episode of 'The Mentalist.' Based on this article Dave took his show, which he owns off the air. CBS is not moving the 12:30 guy to 11:30. Seems kind of odd to me, but its network TV. Way back before I was born, NBC had guest hosts for 6-7 months after Jack Paar left and before Johnny Carson was out from his ABC contract and could host The Tonight Show.

* It is noted that the Ed Sullivan Theatre is being torn apart to give Colbert's show its own specific look.

Complete Article > http://www.adweek.com/news/television/why-cbs-replacing-david-letterman-reruns-mentalist-164989

Why CBS Is Replacing David Letterman With Reruns of The Mentalist

Could summer strategy blunt James Corden's momentum?
    By Jason Lynch

May 26, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

How you follow an icon like David Letterman and his perfect Late Show finale last Wednesday? For CBS, the answer might seem surprising: Simon Baker.

Do not adjust your television sets; CBS is indeed currently airing repeats of The Mentalist, starring Baker, in the 11:30 p.m. late-night time slot Letterman occupied since 1993. In fact, all summer, until The Late Show with Stephen Colbert debuts Sept. 8, the network will show repeats of a different CBS drama each week. The Mentalist will air until early June, followed by shows like NCIS, NCIS: Los Angeles, NCIS: New Orleans, Scorpion and Blue Bloods.

It's an unexpected strategy given how much attention CBS received earlier this year when it enlisted celebs like Will Arnett and John Mayer to guest host The Late Late Show from January to March and bridge the gap between Craig Ferguson and James Corden.

The network had limited options for filling the time slot. Letterman, who owns his show via his Worldwide Pants production company, told the New York Times in April, "When we sign off, we're out of business with CBS." That took Late Show repeats off the table. But, Brad Adgate, svp of research at Horizon Media, wonders what might have been if CBS had experimented with moving Corden to 11:30 for the summer.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I found this choice odd too. It would be funny if The Mentalist got the best ratings of all late night shows.

3. Lster

Lster Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Would have been golden if they just did replays of classic 90s Dave, you know back when Dave was actually worth watching. I'd love to see the first Late Show.

Alas David Letterman will only be widely known as a comic genius by Gen Xers and older, people in their 20s only know the man as a bitter old man with lame jokes. Kinda like how young people today most likely have no clue why Howard Stern was once a controversial cutting edge figure.

4. The Snork

The Snork Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Decades ago they used to play some great movies after hours on CBS. I even remember watching thx-1138.

bobp likes this.
  5. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Meh. Random shuffling of shows I won't watch regardless. One of the reasons I bailed on that (before DVR) is all those post-prime time programs take long commercial breaks every few minutes. I suppose I could record and zip through now, but I've already lost interest.

scoobyla likes this.
  6. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    Jay Thomas hates the Mentalist more than women high fiving each other.
    That's pretty funny that he is replacing Letterman. Wonder if he knows

Rabid Dogman likes this.
  7. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    The Late Late Show guest host thing was a cool experiment because WorldWide Pants still owned the timeslot until Britfag took over. If CBS owned it then you'dve gotten the same trivial B.S.

8. somedude61

somedude61 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I guess Dave doesn't want his old shows played over and over again. Hmmm. Others should take the hint.

Rupert Pupkin and austin54 like this.