CBS now owns JumptheShark.com

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Jon Hein is God, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    I find it hard to believe that TV Guide paid $1 million or more for that piece of shit website. (Was the name that valuable?) And that website was a fuckin piece of shit.

[​IMG]

2. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    The site is dead

3. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    Lucky bastard, Hein, I'll give him that. Manage to dupe the fools at the right time and snagged some money for nothing.

4. Quite Frankly

Quite Frankly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Can you ask Hein how he feels about having his H101 TV show and GeekTime hosting gig whisked out from under him?

TVGuide.com has annoying Flash ads, but the best part is you can BACKTRACE IT- you can find out what was on in the last 24 hours, which comes in handy if I wanna DL a show from the torrents.

TV.com is really good, no annoying ads.

5. Vashier

Vashier VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Oh there were many corporate IDIOTS out there when the bubble was in full effect

6. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Jon hein does not own a treadmill

7. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    Tvgude paid Jon $1 million dollars and did nothing with the website :jj:

8. ilovebacon

ilovebacon Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    zap2it.com can do that too

9. Mike

Mike 'Merica Gold

Reputations:
    Zap2it has tvbythenumbers and the cancellation bear :bigups:

10. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Well, they did take out the comments section, which sucked the life out of the site.

11. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    There is no way they paid him 1 million! In fast food maybe.

12. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think they bought it in 2006. That's when everyone started using the term FU money.

13. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure they did.:facepalm: Business Week wrote an article about how they failed to see the changes coming in the DVR/Tivo/Publishing markets and were horribly mismanaged, and actually brought that up. They're a really reputable magazine, so I'd say they checked it out. People forget, but the Internet was insane back then, companies were paying insane money for almost no content; Lycos was MAYBE the #4 search engine in 98 and sold for $95 million. Then, two years later, it was sold AGAIN for 12.5 billion (on the eve of the bubble).

14. crazypreacher

crazypreacher Hey yo

Reputations:
    Wow stuffed suits will buy anything.

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Hein is another example of fairly intelligent people who knew how to create websites early on before software to do it for you was widespread and cheap. They leveraged this into some sort of facade that it was magic, which in the dot com mania big companies were eager to get in on and overpaid for.

The fact is, there is no way to make a significant income from sites like his. By the time TV guide paid a few people to maintain it and create content for it it would eat up any revenue. So they shut it down. Its true value was much lower as an income stream. Hein got lucky and cashed out.

In America for some reason people equate $$$$ with intelligence. (they're correlated, but not to the degree we think). This is why assholes like Trump and Mark Cuban and even John Hein sit in judgement of others as if they're inherently something superior. "I'm rich from Real Estate, so I know more than you about politics". "I'm rich from selling a technology I didn't even create myself, so I know all about business ideas". "I'm rich from saying lines other people wrote on TV or in the movies, so I know all about global warming, genocide, etc".

Hein affects a detached studious air on the radio because if he jumped in and gave real opinions he'd be exposed as no different than any other nitwit who works on the Stern channels. The illusion he's some sort of genius would evaporate if he did that. You can't tear apart the logic of someone who won't divluge what he really thinks. He snidely asks questions to the victim of the day on the wrap up show as if he's being genuine, because to be genuine he'd have to come out with an opinion. And that's deadly in the Stern world.

He's smart enough to know to stay out of the fray. So he is intelligent. Doesn't mean he knows shit about anything but TV and fast food.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  16. itpdude

itpdude New Member

Reputations:
    I've never watched the Hein FF show and don't pay him too much mind, but isn't he the guy who doesn't allow stuff like lettuce, tomato, etc, on his hamburgers? Not even ketchup, right?

He'll review a joint for the burger when the burger he chows is merely a bun and patty.

The guy is a weirdo. And he can't be too intelligent. He has diabetes yet eats fast food and is borderline obese.

17. Jon Hein is God

Jon Hein is God New Member

Reputations:
    The dot-com era was the late 90s/2000.

2006 wasn't that long ago.

18. TelegramSam

TelegramSam I love Sam's cock Banned User

Reputations:
    Yeah, that was more a case of TV Guide just being idiots. At least with Lycos you could have said "Look, we really thought they were going to become Google", but how you do justify paying $1 million for a messageboard? Apparently Johnny Fratto was the shadow CEO of TV Guide.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Hein started it in 1997, during the peak of the dot com boom. He only sold it in 2006. They likely bought the site because they wanted the rights to the phrase for use on their site, not the site itself, as it would require a small staff to maintain and update. That's my point. The site wasn't worth $1M. I'm sure they could do due-diligence and figure out that he wasn't making much off it. They'd probably have been better off investing $1M in 30 year treasuries at 6.5% than trying to make a profit off the site itself.

Yahoo just paid $1.1B for a site that makes virtually nothing. The mindset is still there, it's just not as widespread as during the official boom. There is no permanent value in most dot coms because they lack barriers to competition, they rely on faddish adherents who age beyond it, and most are quite simple ideas. Search engines are not the same as blogging sites. Besides the clever name, Heins site was actually quite crude and simple. The appearance was really awful the last time I looked. Anyone with $1M to spend on google ads could replicate it with another name.

The fact is, Howard treats Hein with a degree of respect the others don't get because he made $1M or whatever. Money = respect to a lot of people.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  20. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Good points - also when Howard would ask "entertainment expert" Hein about TV ratings/business, Jon sounded like he was reciting obvious crap that anyone could find in an internet article. Same goes for his alleged technology expertise.