Sports chargers staying in san diego for at least one year

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JesusTwinsBiggestFan, Jan 29, 2016.

1. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    SAN DIEGO -- Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said Friday that the team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season but has an agreement with the Rams to move to Los Angeles if a long-term stadium solution to remain in the city isn't worked out.

Spanos delivered the news in a message to Chargers fans posted on the team's website.

"Today I decided our team will stay in San Diego for the 2016 season and I hope for the long term in a new stadium," he said.
    [​IMG]

"I have met with Mayor (Kevin) Faulconer and Supervisor (Ron) Roberts and I look forward to working closely with them and the business community to resolve our stadium dilemma. We have an option and an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to go to Inglewood in the next year, but my focus is on San Diego."

Earlier Friday, The San Diego Union-Tribune reported that the Rams and Chargers had agreed to share a yet-to-be-built stadium in Inglewood. Sources confirmed the agreement to ESPN.

According to the relocation agreement between the teams, the Chargers have a one-year window that ends on Jan. 15, 2017, to move to Los Angeles as the second team at the Inglewood project, which is set to be completed by the 2019 season. The Chargers can extend that option to Jan. 15, 2018, if a referendum for public financing in San Diego is not approved before Nov. 15 of this year.

The Chargers believe they could know within two to three months whether a new stadium deal is realistic in San Diego, sources told ESPN's Jim Trotter.

"We are very supportive of the decision by Dean Spanos to continue his efforts in San Diego and work with local leaders to develop a permanent stadium solution," commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement. "NFL ownership has committed $300 million to assist in the cost of building a new stadium in San Diego. I have pledged the league's full support in helping Dean to fulfill his goal."

When NFL owners approved the Rams' move from St. Louis to Los Angeles earlier this month, the league gave the Chargers and Raiders, who are looking to move out of Oakland, an additional $100 million in financial support for a new stadium if they stayed in their home markets. An additional $200 million for the Chargers would be a loan in G-4 money from the league's stadium fund.

If Spanos' desire to remain in San Diego is completed, the Chargers would have that money for a new stadium to replace its current Qualcomm Stadium.

"This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve," Spanos said in his letter to fans. "Everyone on both sides of the table in San Diego must now determine the best next steps and how to deploy the additional resources provided by the NFL. I am committed to looking at this with a fresh perspective and new sense of possibility."

The Raiders, meanwhile, have an option to join the Rams in Inglewood if the Chargers decide not to, but that option will be on hold until the Chargers find a long-term solution in San Diego.

2. PI Nate

PI Nate Disenfranchised since 1984... Gold

Reputations:
    Are the fans revolting due to the failed attempt to leave?

EndOfLine and Shortwave98 like this.
  3. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I wonder how the season ticket renewal rates will go under these circumstances. What a train wreck.

4. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

PI Nate likes this.
  5. Khalil

Khalil participant

Reputations:
    "I decided" my ass. The other owners all did that for you when you got bitch-slapped with the vote amongst your supposed friends.

6. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    most of us have followed them since birth...
    that said... i personally don't give a shit anymore if they leave.
    there is only so much one can give as shit about a team that wants to leave so bad
    a team that was pure garbage last year i may add..
    also
    no one.. but no one in LA wants them there..

HorseFanNetwork and PI Nate like this.
  7. chapped

Reputations:

Dean got what he was giving... i would rather focus on Comic-Con staying here at this point

8. Khalil

Khalil participant

Reputations:
    Agreed. The Chargers can go pound sand for all I care.

binhphuocngu likes this.
  9. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    Fuck the Chargers, I'll never root for them again.

10. binhphuocngu

binhphuocngu Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He knew he was fucked in Houston. Stupid ass and Fagiani. Thought thye had it all.wrapped up. FUCKem

11. chapped

Reputations:

love that he got it raw in the ass....

12. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    I really hope this team has to leave with it's tail between it's legs.

13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    This should be fantastic for ticket sales.

14. Khalil

Khalil participant

Reputations:
    And I don't want to hear any more of this downtown bullshit. You work it out in Mission Valley or go be second fiddle in L.A. for the rest of time.

15. HorseFanNetwork

HorseFanNetwork Well-Known Member

Reputations:

[​IMG]