Cheating at Harvard

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SouthernListen, Sep 7, 2013.

1. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    http://nypost.com/2013/09/06/the-cheat-goes-on-at-harvard/

Cheaters never win — but they get into Harvard!
    Nearly half of the school’s incoming freshmen admitted to cheating on homework, exams or other assignments in their young academic careers, according to a survey by the Ivy League institution’s student newspaper.
    “Some of the newest members of that community are already guilty of academic dishonesty,†The Harvard Crimson declared in its summary of the findings.
    The elite institution is still reeling from a 2012 cheating scandal in which dozens of kids swapped and plagiarized answers during a course called “Introduction to Congress.â€
    An estimated 70 students were booted when the scandal blew up. And some unrepentant cheaters claimed they merely “collaborated†on the exam, and vowed to sue the university.
    If the Crimson’s new findings are any indication, the school could be headed down that dark path again.
    Of the 1,300 students surveyed, 42 percent admitted they had cheated on homework, and 17 percent took shortcuts on take-home assignments.
    The school’s jocks cheat more than the nerds, and boys cheat more than girls, the survey found.
    Overall, one in 10 freshmen owned up to cheating on an exam.
    The president of the Crimson, Bobby Samuels, told The Post he was appalled that “every one in 10 people you see walking around the halls cheated on an exam.â€
    But he added that the new kids have a chance to “grow up,†and pointed to Harvard’s most recent survey of outgoing seniors, which found much lower levels of self-reported cheating.
    The good news for Harvard is that “84 percent of respondents put academics first when asked to rank their anticipated priorities among academics, extracurriculars, varsity sports, paid employment and social life,†the Crimson reported.
    The survey found that 36 percent of respondents planned to study between 20 and 29 hours a week — and 26 percent said they anticipate spending between 30 and 39 hours hitting the books.
    Only 4 percent said they planned to study more than 50 hours in a week.
    The student dishonesty is in line with nationwide surveys of campus chicanery, experts said.
    “But at the same time, Harvard does create certain pressures,†said Don McCabe, a Rutgers University professor of global management and business, and founder of the International Center for Academic Integrity.
    “Harvard’s almost a guarantee of success, so in that sense, getting in is the trick.â€
    Of course, the survey of potential cheaters is relying on honest feedback.
    “We have reason to believe that students who cheat might alo lie about cheating,†said ICAI Director Teresa Fishman.

2. HowardsNeckFlap

HowardsNeckFlap New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    cool story

3. HowardsNeckFlap

HowardsNeckFlap New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    bro

4. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  5. cia212

cia212 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I would have cheated to get into Harvard, no question. Once I was in, I doubt I'd cheat in major-related classes. But I'm sure law students cheat in math classes and physics students cheat in literature. In my college, it was considered cheating even if you just asked a friend in an earlier class what the focus of a test was.

6. unclefreddy

unclefreddy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    For many smart people cheating makes sense. It should be taught as a science. You don't have to reinvent the wheel. Find the quickest and most efficient way to achieve your goal in the real world. Academia is lala land.

7. BeerCanThick

BeerCanThick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The biggest cheating scandal at Harvard concerning actual students was 150 students cheating in a Philosophy/Ethics interdisciplinary class in Political Science called "An Introduction to Congress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Harvard_cheating_scandal

1.5 percent of undergraduates in 2012 were kicked out over it for cheating in a class called "An Introduction to Congress."

8. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This

9. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Who's dumb enough to admit to cheating?

10. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i'm assuming they don't use real tiny pieces of paper anymore.

with all the tech available, i'd think cheating would be pretty easy these days.

not much of a challenge in cheating, but as an academic exercise, it interests me.

11. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:

it's like when they'd do surveys in HS about smoking pot and drinking.

we'd sit around and laugh at the people who said that they answered that they did.

yeah, let the administration know that a bunch of us are getting high. i don't see a problem with that.

:facepalm:

12. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    I didn't even read it all. I just find it interesting that we've totally switched to a "the ends justify the means" society. Nobody wants the knowledge, they just want the benefits of the word "Harvard" on their resume. What a waste.

13. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cheaters get into Harvard -- and economic illiterates come out.

14. alittlebitcunty

alittlebitcunty Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Lots of good kids get into Harvard, the idiot sons of wealthy men mostly congregate at Yale. John Kerry and Dubyah Bush of Skull & Bones are ready examples.

15. SouthernListen

Reputations:
    Boy, you've got everyone slotted into nice little groups, don't you?

How is this different than "black people are lazy, asians can't drive, jews are cheap, etc?"