News Chicago Tribune: Is Howard Stern retiring type?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Vinegarette, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Vinegarette

Vinegarette Don't Believe What You Hear

Reputations:
    Is Howard Stern retiring type?
    We'll find out soon as Sirius deal nears end
    [​IMG] by Phil Rosenthal

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-rosenthal-stern-sirius-1023-biz-20151022-column.html

[​IMG]
    No shock Howard Stern has many options as Sirius XM deal winds down

If Howard Stern were interviewing Howard Stern, getting himself to open up the way he does with anyone who enters his satellite radio studio, there's a good chance everyone would know by now.

A little more than two months remain on Stern's contract, and even Stern's bosses exhibit no sense that they know whether their biggest star is apt to renew, retire, launch his own subscription service or do something else altogether.

Sirius XM Holdings CEO James E. Meyer, on Thursday's quarterly earnings call with analysts, said the company would "certainly hope" that Stern, 61, stays on board. He said the still edgy show "has never been bigger or better," and that he's left hanging on Stern's every word.

Like the rest of Stern's fans.

"You should assume we speak quite often, and stay tuned for updates," Meyer said of Stern's situation in the scripted portion of the presentation. "Of course, the best way to hear any news regarding his renewal is to (tune) in to Howard's show every morning. Heck, that's what I do."

It was a flat line-reading — especially when he got to "heck" — a reminder that performing before a microphone is not everyone's forte. But it was effective, pre-empting a deeper probing on the topic from the Wall Street reps. Not a "baba booey" to be heard.

Sirius XM at this moment is the beneficiary of the uptick in car sales, with buyers often driving off the lot as trial customers, then the option of paying for the service or forever staring at a button on their radio that does nothing.

The net effect of losing Stern and at least some of the paying listeners he brought may not be known.

One estimate has Stern's contract costing Sirius XM $80 million a year.

Detractors will point to his shrinking workload and the fact that, after 10 years, his impact on growing the service may have peaked.

But how many of the service's 29 million subscriptions, typically paying $9.99 per month or higher, are his? How important is he still in promoting the service?

How many other draws does Sirius XM have that can't be found somewhere else, and do their audiences consider them indispensable the way Stern die-hards do?

Ten years ago, Stern defected from traditional radio to give satellite radio not just a signature star and a badly needed tent pole but a whole carnival stretched out over two channels.

It didn't matter if only some of his listeners followed him to the pay service. The size of an audience, in media math, isn't nearly as important as how much revenue can be generated from it. Content is critical because subscription fees and subscriber dedication drive the model more than advertising.

But as technology has changed, it's not clear Stern needs the middleman. He could launch his own independent digital subscription service. All he needs is a URL and an app.

While Sirius XM needed expensive infrastructure to get to listeners, an economic burden it has had to absorb, many barriers have come down. Anyone can launch a podcast today. What few can do is launch a podcast people want to hear. Stern can.

At the same time, any number of other services — anything remotely connected to media — might benefit from welcoming Stern into their fold for all the reasons Sirius XM did.

He brings attention. He brings content. He brings paying customers.

If ESPN alumnus Bill Simmons is worth X millions to HBO for a multi-year, multi-platform deal, what multiple of X should Stern be able to command?

Stern just gave up a lucrative side gig as judge on NBC's "America's Got Talent." (Simon Cowell was named his replacement Thursday.) That prime-time showcase showed mainstream America just how shrewd his entertainment instincts are, and perhaps there's some way to parlay that into something.

That said, Stern also has been at this, in one form or another, for around 40 years. He will turn 62 in January. He has been making a lot of money for a decade now. He's married and has a good life.

If a David Letterman can walk away from the nightly program he once built almost his entire existence around, why can't Howard Stern?

Stern, on the air five years ago, warned everyone connected with his program to save their money because the ride might end after this contract.

We'll soon find out if Sirius XM was listening then.

We know its leaders are listening now.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-rosenthal-stern-sirius-1023-biz-20151022-column.html

2. greenchiclets

greenchiclets Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He'll renew. Especially since most people want him to retire. He thrives on pissing on his audience

SternsEgo, Sickboy, stash and 7 others like this.
  3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    Look, people need to stop pretending like he has a choice here. Either he signs the deal the give him (if there is a deal, which I highly doubt) or he goes into SIM cards or Podcasts, or back to terrestrial radio without all of the vacation bs (which I think is the only way he can make actual you know, money).

4. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    Love the old plastic teeth :rofl:

Sickboy, Tracy, Nick Manning and 5 others like this.
  5. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Some celebrities know when it is time to walk away from showbiz and just enjoy life (see Sean Connery) and others stay way too long at the party and will destroy their legacy taking whatever shit jobs they can get just to stay remotely relevant. Howard is definitely in the latter category. I wouldn't be surprised if Howard is doing late night radio some day.

6. Chicken Soda

Chicken Soda Unknown Member

Reputations:
    Stern probably wants a raise, and SiriusXM execs will lower his contract at a level that is still way too generous.

7. Furc

Furc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Stern die-hards" lol ...

8. The Booey

The Booey Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Nobody walks away from a job that pays millions to sit on your ass shooting the shit about what you watched on TV last night and what you think about the headlines in today's newspaper.

9. TheHighHat

TheHighHat Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Total ass-kissing, shill/plant article that works off at least a dozen ridiculous premises that hyper-inflate Howard's options and worth, written by a fellow tribe member.

Shocker!

It's Sirius or retirement, and the decision really isn't in Howard's hands; it's down to the bean counters at Sirius, and Starbucks, and Squatty Potty.

10. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I think he's angling for a two day a week schedule with a lot more vacation. I hope Sirius isn't that stupid.

11. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    Goofing on Sal 5 years ago, when he was late to work, telling him that the show is over was classic.

He did warn everyone and 5 years notice is sufficient, unless you are Jay Leno ;)

RONNIE THE CLAW likes this.
  12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...that fat fuck writer is phoning in his job too. he and howard should both retire. howard will take somebodys low ball offer or retire. no way hes putting 1 thin dime of his own money into a podcast. his fan base is a joke.

puncher likes this.
  13. Vinegarette

Reputations:
    I thought the same, when he didn't correctly have the determiner "the" in his article's title.

"Is Howard Stern retiring type?" Maybe I'm missing something. :scratch:

Or maybe Stern was a former typesetter?

14. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This isn't the first time the author has provided Howard with an ass-kissing column when contract discussions were going nowhere. Here's an excerpt from an article he wrote 5 years ago:

December 08, 2010
    Howard Stern as Sirius XM contract nears end: 'Why the (bleep) would I take a pay cut?'

Howard Stern might be six live shows away from leaving the satellite pay-radio business he made credible five years ago.

If that doesn't send a shiver through the executive suites at Sirius XM Radio, it at least ought to chill those among the 20 million satellite subscribers who also invested in Stern's move from free over-the-air broadcasting and will be reminded of what's missing each time they look at their dashboard.

Stern (pictured right), who until now has largely downplayed whatever tension there has been as negotiations continue, teed off for more than a half-hour at the start of his Tuesday program about how his own company ought to respect him more than it apparently does. It may have been sincere. It may have been posturing. It was probably both. But it was typically raw, relentless and riveting.

"I understand why (President Barack) Obama won't give me the Kennedy Center Honors," Stern said. "I understand why Oprah Winfrey is beloved and I'm not. I understand why people might say I'm coarse, I'm not really funny, I'm not this or that. That, I can live with. But the company that I've built from 600,000 subscribers … why would the CFO come out and say Howard Stern might need to take a pay cut?"

Link = (http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com...end-why-the-bleep-would-i-take-a-pay-cut.html)

Tracy and Bye You! like this.
  15. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    He said the still edgy show "has never been bigger or better," and that he's left hanging on Stern's every word.

:haha:

16. Vinegarette

Reputations:

Another author who has never listened (or wanted to pay) since the move to Sirius.

You can tell when they never reference a single thing that has happened since, other than the move.

:facepalm:

17. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    again with the teeth....... if we ever met, I wouldn't pass the inspection
    :D

Bye You! likes this.
  18. Beer Chugger

Beer Chugger Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

TheHighHat likes this.
  19. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Evidently you people don't know about the two TV deals he's mulling over PLUS his dream job PLUS one movie offer a month. Why would he go back to working so hard on his radio show when he's got all these upcoming gigs? He prepares on SUNDAY for his Monday radio show - talk about dedication.

20. Bye You!

Bye You! The n word guy Gold

Reputations:
    It's a curse. :depressed:

Beer Chugger likes this.