China Dog Meat Festival

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by LaReineBlanche, Jun 24, 2014.

1. LaReineBlanche

LaReineBlanche Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

A southern Chinese city kicked off its annual dog-eating festival over the weekend amid a fierce backlash by animal rights groups.

Activists estimate that about 10,000 dogs are slaughtered at the summer solstice event, in which thousands of locals and tourists consume barbecued, stir-fried and boiled dog meat served alongside lychees and grain alcohol.

This year, social media campaigns and a strong showing by a small but dedicated band of animal rights activists have dampened the festivities in Yulin, Guangxi province.

The local government banned its officials from openly participating in the event, according to Carrot Chen, a spokesperson at the Hong Kong-based NGO Animals Asia. Dog meat sales were down by a third on last year, Chinese media reported.

"My grandfather, my father and I all sell dog meat. I could sell dozens of dogs a day last year during this time, but I only sold a few this year," Zhou Jian, a 55-year-old vendor, told China Daily.

While media reports counted only a few dozen activists at the festival, their presence precipitated a handful of dramatic scenes. One vendor held a live dog from a noose, threatening to kill it unless activists paid him an exorbitant ransom. A diner sustained injuries in a fight with an activist along a restaurant-lined road.

Devout Buddhists from across China strolled through the city's Dongkou wet market performing a religious rite to "console the souls of the slaughtered dogs".

Many locals resent the backlash as an unwarranted moral stand against a deep-rooted – and technically legal – tradition. They claim that eating dog meat on the summer solstice confers health benefits that last through the winter. Some held the event a week early to avoid the expected animal rights protests.

Animal welfare groups said the dog meat trade was inhumane and unsanitary. "It's an industry characterised by criminality, cruelty and poor hygiene," said Animals Asia's chief executive, Jill Robinson. "Dogs are stolen from their homes – increasingly by being darted and drugged in the street. Poisons that will find their way into the meals of the festivalgoers."

While dogs are still considered a delicacy in parts of southern and north-east China, they have also become popular pets among the country's burgeoning middle class.

Protesting against the festival has become a cause celebre online. "Dogs are more loyal to people than I'd imagined – I think of dogs as friends, not meat," the actor Yang Mi wrote to her 35 million followers. The message attracted more than 75,000 comments, most commending her for taking a stand.

The state newswire Xinhua urged opponents of the festival to remain level-headed and remember that dogs were prized for their meat in China long before they were considered friends.

"It might be difficult to draw a universally accepted line as to what animals should be eaten. But when there is already a vast variety of meat, maybe it is time to stop serving dog," it said. "Maybe it's also time to take a less strident tone against the dog-meat lovers and to educate them to see a companion rather than a meal."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-eating-festival-backlash-yulin-animal-rights

Gross. Those poor dogs.:bigcry:
    This is Howard related because the two "Heroes of Animoes Everywhere" have to be planning a trip to China to rescue all those poor future Moo Goo Gai Pan platters and bringing them to Chimney Manor.
    And I am doing my duty testing out the site.

2. Lou Skunt

Lou Skunt ____________________ Banned User

Reputations:
    Fucking dirty chink bastards. Fuck them. :mad:

3. Bethstampon

Bethstampon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I would alert or neg the shit out of you for this OP...just to test things out. This would be good test to try delete / re-create in Bar?

Lou Skunt likes this.
  4. Mazley

Mazley Black Knight Banned User

Reputations:
    Are you saying there are no negs?

Lou Skunt likes this.
  5. LaReineBlanche

Reputations:
    I don't post in The Bar so neg away!

6. Mazley

Reputations:
    We can't damnit :cuss:

7. LaReineBlanche

Reputations:
    Well that's just wrong.

Lou Skunt likes this.
  8. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    You have to click on the persons avatar, insert a $100 bill, then say a prayer to Dawg. :pray:

9. gilaet

gilaet Xanax Service Dog Staff Member

Reputations:
  10. Mazley

Reputations:
    I got 2 bucks that work?

11. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    Hey it's better than nothing. :jj:

12. Mazley

Reputations:
    True I'm gonna miss my negs :(

13. Lou Skunt

Reputations:
    BULLSHIT! Dawg will give us negs. I have faith. :grad:

Mazley likes this.
  14. Mazley

Reputations:
    I know stern68 needs his daily negs from me :D

15. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:
    When I was living in China a few years ago they were talking about making dog meat illegal everywhere...there are weird laws about it now, I think it's something like it's illegal to transport dogs for meat, but it's not illegal to eat a dog, or something like that. Regardless, when I lived there, all the Chinese people I talked to about it thought it was gross and wrong (then again this was in Shanghai)

16. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
  17. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    Is that one of those wink-wink, nudge-nudge laws that are just in the books to avoid embarrassment? I remember a video from just a few years back where dogs were skinned alive to make knockoff Ugg boots. They don't see animals the way the West or even Japan does.

18. HeyThere

HeyThere Active Member

Reputations:

No idea really, the laws are weird...I think it's something like its illegal to transport and raise dog meat but not illegal to eat it....I could be wrong though. I went to several regions around China though and I never met anyone who has eaten it, and I never saw a place selling it. I'm thinking maybe its a certain ethnicity, because there are tons of different ones in China (Han is the main one). But yeah, like I said I spent most of my time in Shanghai (NYC of Asia), and it's such a huge country so that might be why I never heard about it from people.

There was a small restaurant that had a menu with pictures outside and there was dog, the same one that has been circulating the internet for a while. The owners kept it up for laughs.