China, flexing it's muscle

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    News

China is gambling Obama doesn’t have will to respond to its massive land grab
    By Michael Auslin

May 31, 2015 | 6:00am

You may not have noticed, as ISIS expands its reach across Iraq and Russia fuels conflict in Ukraine, but the odds of an armed confrontation between the United States and China just dramatically increased.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    A fleet of Chinese dredging vessels surround Mischief Reef May 21.Photo: Reuters

After years of ignoring China’s growing assertiveness in Asia, the Obama administration has been taken unaware by a major land and power grab by Beijing.

Over the past several years, China has steadily expanded its territorial ambitions, including a claim that the entire South China Sea is under its dominion.

The sea is one of the world’s most strategic bodies of water. It contains crucial sea lanes, such as the Malacca Strait, through which nearly 70,000 ships transit each year.

In the middle of the South China Sea is a loose chain of islets, shoals and reefs called the Spratly Islands. They are claimed by almost every nation in the region, including Taiwan, Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and, of course, China.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Since 2012 (top) China has built up land in various points on the shoal (bottom) and has reportedly stationed 100 troops there.Photo: Getty Images

The rich fishing waters surrounding the Spratlys have been in contention for decades. The Philippines often have complained to the US — in vain — that powerful Chinese maritime patrol vessels have chased away their boats. Nor is this the only area in which China has thrown around its weight, having challenged Japanese control over the Senkaku Islands in the East China Sea.

Now the situation has escalated.

China has engaged in a massive reclamation project, dredging up sand and creating islands on shallow reefs. The US government estimates that up to 2,000 acres of new land has been built. On these “fantasy” islands, China is building airstrips and ports, erecting barracks and establishing radar systems. Guns and fighter jets are next.

Beijing is militarizing its new land and then claiming it as sovereign territory, demanding that other countries stay out of what was once international waters.

For years, Washington ignored treaty allies like the Philippines, which called it “a creeping invasion,” Instead, the Obama administration, like others before it, has bent over backward to try and improve relations with China, even inviting it to our biggest naval exercises.

Modal Trigger
    Previous
    Next
    1/12

[​IMG]
    An aerial photo of Mischief Reef taken by a Philippine military plane on May 11.
    Reuters

Much like the supposed Russian “reset,” that goodwill has been spurned.

Secretary of Defense Ash Carter last week publicly rebuked Beijing, demanding that it stop its reclamation activities and warning China that is isolating itself in the eyes of the world community. More concretely, Carter and other officials have stated that the US will ignore China’s claims and will fly military planes over the islands’ airspace and will sail within the 12-mile limit claimed by China.

Though no US ships have yet ventured inside that ring, the line has been drawn.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Vietnam and China fought a mini war over the Johnson South reef in 1987, and 64 Vietnamese soldiers were killed. China recently began construction of a major base, seen here in February.Photo: EPA

For its part, Beijing is not backing down. Indeed, not only have Chinese officials criticized Washington’s response, a state run newspaper, The Global Times, warned that a “US-China war is inevitable,” if Washington tries to force China to halt its activities. Official Chinese military doctrine is also ominously changing to reflect the new reality, stating that Beijing’s forces will no longer focus solely on territorial defense, but will project power far beyond its borders.

Modal Trigger[​IMG]
    Even though the Gaven Reef is claimed by Philippines and Vietnam, China has built a helicopter platform on stilts, and slowly built up the reef into an island with a fort. This photo was released by the Armed Force of the Philippines on April 12.Photo: EPA

All it would take is one hotheaded action by a Chinese fighter pilot to ignite an armed confrontation between the two sides. Unlike during the Cold War days, when Moscow and Washington established important crisis-management mechanisms, there are almost no working relations of trust between China and the United States. It is not assured that an accident or encounter could be prevented from spiraling out of control.

Yet neither side seems willing to back down. The US is being challenged again as a paper tiger, and if it fails to follow through on its promise to sail through the Spratlys, its Asian allies will wonder how strong America’s security commitments really are.

For Beijing, the stakes are just as high. Failing to assert its control over the waters it now claims will expose it as a geopolitical fraud. This will embolden other nations to similarly challenge China’s claims, and ironically possibly increase the likelihood of some type of military clash in Asia.

East Asia now stands close to a precipice. China figures the US is too distracted or uninterested to care about its expansion. They may be right.

CrucifiedAGT, smichal and Shortwave98 like this.
  2. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    It would be ironic if they used "made in the USA" equipment to build this. But we probably don't make this crap anymore.

yaddc and Shortwave98 like this.
  3. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Badness.

I really don't like nor trust those damn Asians. The way they're buying up real estate and land everywhere outside their borders is also worrying to me. When I visited New Zealand last year, Auckland was overrun by these little fuckers.

Calloused Shins and Dorb like this.
  4. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

The U.S. probably did pay for this! :facepalm:

Why Does The U.S. Still Give Millions Of Dollars In Aid To China
    Foreign Policy | By Isaac Stone Fish
    Posted: 07/15/2013 10:40 am EDT Updated: 07/15/2013 10:40 am EDT

[​IMG]

The United States provided $28.3 million in foreign assistance and funding programs to China via USAID and the State Department in 2012, according to a May report from the Congressional Research Service. It projects that number to decrease slightly in 2013, to $25.5 million. Roughly half of the U.S. funding is administered by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), which focuses on four main areas in China: environmental protection, rule of law, HIV/AIDS, and sustainable development for Tibetans. "I believe that our foreign aid to China furthers U.S. interests," said Sen. Ben Cardin (D-MD), who chairs the East Asian and Pacific Affairs Subcommitttee of the Foreign Relations Committee, in a phone interview. But a USAID official, who asked to speak on background, took issue with calling the assistance to China "aid." "We are using some assistance to do technical cooperation in a few key areas, which are narrow and defined in scope," the official said. It's "directed" assistance, the official added, noting that these programs were not controversial.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/15/aiding-and-abetting_n_3598712.html

5. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    We dealt with this back in the thirties children..........

6. NiggalissCage

NiggalissCage Well-Known Member

Reputations:

And what's that have to do with the here and now? Obama is viewed globally as a weak dick sucker. China is slapping him and us in the face with their little rice dicks.

Ravens, Barry Soetoro, Slow and 2 others like this.
  7. HS Cult Leader

HS Cult Leader Elite Member Gold

Reputations:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The pussyfication of this country has been going on for years and is now in full effect, did we think nobody would notice?

China knows we did nothing when Russia fucked w/ the Ukraine, we'll do nothing about this either, they know it, we know it.

Back to the most important issue happening domestically any police officers harm any peaceful black people last night?

:munch:

9. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  10. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I had a dream every thing here was made in the U.S. than I woke up and seen made in China on my coffee cup.

reno and Dorb like this.
  11. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    let the border countries around there handle the situation.

DuckDong and babybear like this.
  12. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Go back and read about it Grasshopper......It's eerily the same.............
    [​IMG]

SalsMasterShake, Slow and DrSublux like this.
  13. floplop

floplop Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    We have to pick out battles. This shit is thousands of miles away from us and really does not affect us much. We do shit all the time that pisses other countries off so be it.

BethSucks and DuckDong like this.
  14. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    2012. Old news.

15. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah we bitch about Obama, bitch about the economy, bitch about china, them we all go to wallmart and buy chinese made goods. Myself being an exception. I go out of my way to find made in USA anything.

16. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    "China has offered to launch a satellite for me if I'm willing to do a satellite radio show for them, Robin."

17. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    I'm looking forward to his stuttering scattered response.

18. John Smith

John Smith Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    President Trump doesn't like them.

yaddc likes this.
  19. sstressed

sstressed enhancement toker VIP

Reputations:
    i'm tired of us policing the world. tired of our guys dying for assholes who hate us. the phillipines kicked us out. now they want us back? fuck off!

we are great at ignoring our treaty obligations. any ally that trusts us to come to their rescue is dreaming. our politicians always think sucking dick will make people who hate us love us. the chinese take our gifts, steal our tech and laugh at us, as they should.

the chinese are probably going to eat our lunch one of these days. their leaders can be stupid and short sighted but they can also be cunning and vicious and answer to no one. they take a long view of things. i'm sure they have a 50 year plan. we don't know what we'll be doing after 2016. it won't be for awhile and we probably won't see it coming. too busy worried that some white dude might have said reggie back in the 70s.

i'm a big fan of ancient chinese culture. their inventions way back when are remarkable.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    TallTyrion likes this.
  20. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You sound like a man with answers. Any thoughts on how to handle this?