Chris Cornell makes a good point about electronic music, I think

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by RenchFries, Jul 9, 2015.

1. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    Soundgarden frontman looks for punk-like revolution after comparing modern dance music to 70s disco craze
    Soundgarden frontman Chris Cornell thinks the future of rock music lies in the hands of young people who currently enjoy dance music.

And he believes they'll one day stage a revolution on the scale of the 1970s punk movement.

His comments come days after Rob Zombie blamed Soundgarden and their grunge colleagues for rock music losing its place as a leading light in popular culture.

Cornell told Howard Stern this week: "i heard somebody quoting that 70 per cent of people – and it must be young people – are into electronic dance music. And that goes up every year. I don't know how much more it can go up.

"All I can says is, that tends to be the beginning of a really great new movement in rock."

He compared the statistics to those of the disco era, when the movement dominated culture from radio stations to dance halls to movie screens. "All of a sudden you had punk rock," Cornell said.

"That came as a reaction to it. Everyone said, 'You know – this sucks.' So maybe that will happen now. They'll look at each other at the rave, their E will kick in, and they'll go, 'This sucks.'"

Zombie told TeamRock Radio at Download last weekend: "When the grunge rock thing hit everybody thought it was cool to be anti-rock star. They sort of anti-rock starred themselves right out the door – the rap guys came in and said, 'Fuck it. We'll be the rock stars.'"

Cornell recently discussed how people thinking they were a "hippie" band because of their name was a blessing in disguise during their early days. The band return to the UK on July 4 for the British Summer Time festival in London's Hyde Park, where they'll support Black Sabbath.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2014-06-20/cornell-electro-kids-will-reinvent-rock

AllAboutHim Ed likes this.
  2. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
  3. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The thing is it is a much different music industry than in the 70s. The music industry doesn't take any risks anymore. The way people listen to music is so fragmented. I think it will be far harder for any form of rock to make a comeback. Electronic has gotten so huge because of clubs and EDS festivals and not because kids were introduced to this form of music on the radio.

sternadamsapple and TheWonk like this.
  4. beetlejosh

beetlejosh I got a head that's large Gold

Reputations:
    Maybe DJ Lucas Dell'abate will save us!

[​IMG]

5. Slow

Slow All The Pieces Matter DawgShed News

Reputations:
    I am a Cornell fan but he is kind of a hypocrite considering the last shit solo album he made was a pop/dance abomination before the soundgarden weak reunion album.

He is also wrong in stating that Punk was what took down disco. The 70s had bright spots like Sabbath, Zeppelin, ACDC which inspired the 80s METAL revolution. Nobody ever gave a shit about punk music in the mainstream.

We will never see any type of rock based music top the mainstream again in our lifetime. The majority is just too simple minded where as genres like metal just keep becoming more intricate and technical.

6. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Please. It's gotten huge because of MDMA and molly a.k.a. what grandpa used to call ecstasy. The end.

ScottBaiosPenis and RenchFries like this.
  7. TheWonk

TheWonk POTY Music Forum Gold

Reputations:
    Rock is dead.

Thanks, Obama.

8. Rob0729

Reputations:
    That was the clubs and EDS festivals part of my comment. I thought Molly was a given.

RenchFries likes this.
  9. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits VIP

Reputations:
    Please god, there hasn't been any good rock music since the 90s.

blackcrystal61 and TheWonk like this.
  10. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    What was his shitty dance single from six years ago? Was it this one?

ahhahaha yeah, this is it.

THAT BITCH AIN'T A PART OF ME. NO. THAT BITCH AIN'T A PART OF ME. I SAID NO, THAT BITCH AIN'T A PART OF ME. NO, THAT BITCH AIN'T A PART OF ME.

classic.

I got my glow stick out and Dr. Suess hat on bumpin' this shit. Where's my strobe light?

Tranquil likes this.
  11. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    eh you occasionally get some douchebag dance producer claiming it isn't based on a drug scene. Plus, last time I referenced molly or MDMA on here I had a couple people tell me "what's that?" so...

12. youknew

youknew Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    the EDM bubble is bound to burst, thats just common sense, the movement needs a leader/breakthrough band

13. Rob0729

Reputations:
    You would think. I don't get how it became so huge. Most of the music sounds exactly the same yet these DJs are making ten of millions to go to concerts and play a recording and act like they are spinning records.

Wangold and RenchFries like this.
  14. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    I thought Howard's buddy Skrillex was the kingpin.

I'm out of it though, so who knows, Rob. I listen to what the blaeks listen to more than the whites.

15. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    That'll probably be it. Soon they'll be teaching about it in college music classes like jazz or other dead musical art forms. Just be glad it had as long of a run as it did and don't worry about the future so much.

16. j shmuck

j shmuck Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think there is a lot of great rock out there. It's just that it is now some indie, dance, new wave, electronic hybrid these days. An example is war on drugs. What is gone is hardrocking testosterone laden guitar music which was big in the 90s but not any more. Rap sucks now too and is even worse shape than rock. My favorite music era was basically 1988 to 1997.

17. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Down at the Astoria the scene was changing..."
    :drummin:

:hair: :guitar: :picking:

18. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    edm is big because it's easy to do period.

RenchFries likes this.
  19. stash

stash 2017 Kimbra of All Media VIP

Reputations:
    :grad:

RODFROMBAYSIDE likes this.
  20. EmperorsNewCaps

EmperorsNewCaps Member

Reputations:
    Yeah, everything requires massive crate digging now. The days of tuning on modern FM radio and hearing all killer in any of the big genres are probably done.

ScottBaiosPenis and BrerJimmy like this.