Chronicle of Vacation Projects

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Lemmy, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Lemmy

Lemmy Douchebag Extraordinaire Gold

Reputations:
    So today was my last day of work until July 5th :)cheer:) and I have some projects to work on so I thought I'd post progress pics for your interest, amusement and/or ridicule. Not much done after work today since it was pizza night with the Mrs. and by the time the barn was cleaned for the evening and the horses fed there wasn't much daylight left for anything else. Also it was a hot/busy week at work so "fuck it" for tonight. Here is the basic projected list.....

Clean the freakin' barn/shop (20'x40') so I can find things again. I tend to be one of those jackasses that when I'm working on something I leave my tools and supplies scattered about so they are handy.......the problem is that when one project is over another begins so nothing ever gets put away properly. No one to blame but myself. Once I sold my Grand National last year I really let it slide........

[​IMG]

Next on the list is to put an exhaust on my recently acquired '88 Ford F350 (460 CID/gas). It's actually in fantastic condition for it's age/mileage but the previous owner just sawzalled the exhaust off at the end of the catalytic converter so I have nothing to attach a new muffler to. I don't mind it being kinda loud but it's ridiculous. I also want to sand and paint some of the minor surface rust areas and undercarriage along with some other minor maintenance.......

[​IMG]

My '09 MINI JCW needs an oil change and wax/cleaning........

[​IMG]

I recently built a new deck off the rear of the house and a few deck boards have twisted/bowed/shrunk severely so I need to replace or do some tweaking and finish staining the edges and trim boards......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is a framed gravel parking area that is useless and has just been used for landscaping rock/gravel storage (dump area) that I want to remove and level with the yard......

[​IMG]

The house has recently been stripped and rotten logs replaced (hired out) and this week the "log crew" is coming out to finish some of the reconstruction and stain/seal the house. I have to clean up some sloppy cable wiring and crappy utility box attachments to the house......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My wife would like a "small" 20'x20' garden for this year so I need to add an exterior water spigot on that side of the house and till the soil (add manure as well)......

[​IMG]

This is all assuming that I just don't watch TV all week (not a good pic......but an awesome TV/audio system).......

[​IMG]

My wife is leaving town from Sunday through Wednesday for a work trip and Sunday afternoon is a waste (project wise) due to a family party but I should have plenty of time to get this crap done. Weather is supposed to be great as well. I have to squeeze in normal horse and yard maintenance also......good times, good times.......

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
    nice pics brah :hat:

3. FtM

FtM Starless & Bible Black Gold

Reputations:
    Livin' the life, my friend....livin' the life. :cool: :fishin: :cool:

4. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:
    You can probably work some type of male/female coupler on that exhaust so you can salvage what's left

5. Lemmy

Reputations:
    I wish.......it was cut off leaving about an inch of pipe off the back of the converter and that pipe is rusted badly. At the front of the converter is a wacky oval flange and no "test pipe" is available so I'm gonna have to cut the crossover pipe and fab something up. It won't be exceptionally pretty but it will be somewhat temporary......eventually I'm gonna trash all of the smog shenanigans and maybe even the EFI and go with full tube headers and a carb setup for simplicity and so it's more in my knowledge comfort zone. I'd do it now but the house refurbish was really a financial kick in the junk.

6. Stew Nod

Stew Nod Hello VIP

Reputations:

I hear ya...I did my own addition 1000 sq ft, with a basement...damn near kilt me. Fix everything my tribe breaks...I work on my cars...Projects are good for the soul, man. Looking at your pics I see you are a lot like me...except you're in the country and have awesome tractors and shit...LOL

reps

7. Estocada

Estocada Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    cool thread and I don't know how to do any of that stuff

8. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Yep......built the whole inside of the horse barn (stalls, electric) and did the electric 1 acre fence as well. It was hard for me to hire out the exterior barn build but I don't have many friends close by that could have helped on some of the things where you simply need an extra set of hands and, also, I hate asking others for help. When it came down to it it was only a few thousand more to have it erected as opposed to buying the materials so it was worth the extra $$$$$ to have it done in two days so we could get our horses home.

In this house the only major project I've done is I put hardwood floors throughout. The bathrooms are next. Our problem was that the jackasses that owned the house before us didn't believe in any sort of maintenance so we have primarily been playing catch up to get the house to where it "should be". The exterior log replacement, stripping and staining was just something I felt would be better to hire out (a rarity for me) but my available time and lack of enjoying heights made it the smart thing to do. Just maintaining the 5+ acres is lots of work so "free time" is precious.

One more plan for the vacation, not really a project, is to get some bass playing time in. I tend to not dedicate much time to it since I quit, or possibly was fired from, my band and last time I played I was pretty sloppy and lost some dexterity so i have to get back into it........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  9. Just Peachy

Just Peachy VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Wonderful pics, beautiful house, thanks so much for sharing! :)

10. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Shit Mult Hunter

Reputations:
    Mlaw knows where you live now. :facepalm:

11. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Day 1 begins with breakfast and Formula 1 of Europe qualifying.......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  12. FtM

FtM Starless & Bible Black Gold

Reputations:
    Beautiful! :toptip:

13. stripes

stripes Active Member Banned User

Reputations:
    great thread...:cool:

14. zhukov

zhukov Time traveler Gold

Reputations:
    nice layout

I'll take the under that only half of those projects get done and most days will be spent drunk

15. Lemmy

Reputations:
    No comment on what gets done but, sorry, I'm not really a boozer. I have nothing against it but I tend to overindulge then feel like crap the next day and it's just not worth it.

16. Lemmy

Reputations:
    So when I pulled the tractor from the barn I found that the deck wasn't working properly and remembered that my wife mentioned an odd noise last time she used it. After a quick investigation I found that this bracket thingy was broken. Off to the JD dealer.....

[​IMG]

Of course the broken thread portion wouldn't just come out so I had to drill, use a screw extractor then re-tap the threads. To no surprise the tap I needed wasn't a size I had so a trip to the hardware store was in order. One downside of country living is that nothing is close.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Part installed/adjusted and the mower deck functions like new.....

[​IMG]

Now it's 1:10 and I'm just about to start the barn cleaning project. Unfortunate delays.

17. Lemmy

Reputations:
    The tractor and box blade made pretty quick work of the garden project. Just scraped up the grass and turned the soil a few times. Now gotta add composted manure and seeds along with some cleanup and we're all set......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2012
  18. Reggae Mistress

Reggae Mistress Old Catcher's Mitt

Reputations:
    Beautiful house and great pictures. Love a man who knows how to fix stuff. Good luck and I look forward to the progress!

19. Lemmy

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Hey now!
    :hat:

20. Lemmy

Reputations:
    Not much to take pics of but it's been a semi-productive vacation so far. The barn/shop is almost finished, I've added manure to the garden and tilled a bit more (the planting is up to my wife). I also fixed a lighting problem on my wife's Subaru.....it seems that both of the tail light connectors were ganked up so after some cleaning all is well. I practiced some bass playing and watched both seasons of Game of Thrones (on while I was doing housework or at bed time). I certainly wasted a bit of time but I was somewhat limited to what I could do since there is a crew at the house working on the logs. My dogs needed a little extra care (one is blind and has whatever a dog version of Alzheimer's is and another is rounding out her life with either stomach and/or intestinal cancer) since they were trapped in the house due to the work going on outside.......they were less "crazy" if I was in the house often. Oh well......

Over the next few days I'll be adding a few outside water spigots and finishing up the barn/shop nightmare. The truck exhaust project is on hiatus while I wait for parts to arrive and I'll do the work on the MINI once the dirt from the house project settles a bit.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012