Citizenfour

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Droog, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Droog

Droog Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Anyone watch this? I just saw it on HBO last night. I had mixed feelings about Snowden and what his angle was in running to China and Russia. After watching the movie, it's obvious that Big Brother has become reality. I have long hated the Patriot Act which was anything but patriotic. The results of that act and the increased amount of money going to fund spying have effectively brought Big Brother to life. Hard to defend the government after watching this. The thing that really struck me is how a young guy at age 29 was able to gain access to this information as a systems engineer contracted to work for the NSA. I've always warned clients about giving anyone admin rights to anyone they don't want to give 100% access to, and I always disclose the fact that nothing on the server is out of my reach. Why would the NSA allow this guy (and others like him) to have such access? I'm sure they go through the same security clearances as any other person with such high level security access, but it just struck me as odd.

@dawg have you seen this?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    Beffquus, Buffalo Balls and Mulletude like this.
  2. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The thing I find most interesting is how many people are willing to give up some portion of their freedoms every time the government says it's for the best. They don't process that these powers are not just used to fight terrorism and once a freedom is lost getting it back isn't likely to happen.

Droog, Beffquus and Mulletude like this.
  3. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I heard on TV yesterday he wants to return to USA from Russia if he can get a fair trial. Does he realize that he will be convicted of treason and sent to the Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado. Totally isolated in a cell until he goes insane.

4. Droog

Reputations:
    It was really interesting. He reached out to a filmmaker and a reporter via secure methods, then did the interview which lasted several days. A few days into the interview, they broke the first story and we get to see how things went down. Didn't seem to be a kook or a fame whore at all. To the contrary, he's rather intelligent and said the reason why he leaked this information was because he was worried that the elected body was becoming more like a ruling body.

Beffquus, Mulletude and Blur like this.
  5. Droog

Reputations:
    That's exactly what will happen. At the end of the movie they discuss the treason law. It doesn't matter if what the government is doing is illegal, if you release government secrets, you can be tried for treason. He'd be wise to somehow make it to Brazil and stay there.

Beffquus and Mulletude like this.
  6. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Saw it last week.....

dude is a fucking hero...

he has risked everything to become a whistle blower

Obama and his Hench men are fucking human shit

Beffquus and Droog like this.
  7. TSSTaylor

TSSTaylor Active Member

Reputations:
    I gotta watch this. Was pretty terrified after watching the Frontline piece on the NSA. "United States of Secrets" http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/united-states-of-secrets/

Almost everyone in the gov't who were aware of skirting the Constitution to make the NSA more aggressive was freaked the fuck out about it. Dick Cheney forced it through his personal lawyer. Even George W Bush was hesitant. Then many were under the assumption Obama would stop a lot of it. Meanwhile when it came down to it he kept the program.

The fact that so many people in gov't knew this was going on but never became whistleblowers says a lot. Scary shit.

Droog likes this.
  8. Dorb

Dorb Lovable Old Pig VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Dont you mean Bush and Cheny?
    I thought this started back then?

Robert Higgins and Droog like this.
  9. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    I saw the doc and he basically accepted his likely fate from the first day they met up with him in China.

But human nature being what it is, you know he is hoping against hope that we will make it to a safe haven at some point.

Droog and Blur like this.
  10. chapped

Reputations:

You are 100% right dick and bush started it and they are human shit
    but the fact that Obama has not done jack shit to stop it and he has gone after more whistle blowers than any president in history makes him shit too

Alisonsbankacct likes this.
  11. chapped

Reputations:
    no fucking way he should ever come back it is a national disgrace that the USA wants to do this to him

12. Droog

Reputations:
    But once the shit hit the fan, you could see it was still jarring. Expecting and accepting something happening is one thing, but having it actually happen is another. He wasn't as prepared as he thought. He should have secured a place to live in exile prior to the whistle blowing. Why not do it from Brazil rather than China and then waiting to get clearance to go to Brazil? That was a misstep.
    He'd be nuts if he did. Why should he come back and face trial? How about the fucks who are perpetrating this shit? They showed people openly lying to congress about what was going on. Why aren't they be tried?

Dorb, Alisonsbankacct and chapped like this.
  13. chapped

Reputations:
    you are right

the government is breaking the law..

he pointed this out...

leaders who broke the law lied about breaking the law to Congress

WTF should there be a trial?

Droog likes this.
  14. Buffalo Balls

Buffalo Balls Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Been wanting to see this, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the propulsion

15. Droog

Reputations:
    Yet nothing will come of it. Just like nothing became of Wall Street swindlers. Yet the jails are packed with people serving time for selling pot. Doesn't make much sense.

16. Droog

Reputations:
    Tyranny in the name of protection. Sounds a lot like the mafia to me.

17. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    His face when he answered the phone and journalists had already found him in his hotel room by day 4 shows you are right - the reality hit him right in the gut

Droog likes this.
  18. Beffquus

Beffquus Scripta sunt in stellis Gold

Reputations:
    Scariest movie I've seen. My first thought when the story broke was that this guy was a low-level troublemaker. The film made me re-think that opinion (as it was intended to do, of course). He's a hero in some sense, but he did break the law and the government will throw the book at him if he comes back here. I'm not sure Russia is any bargain, but if he can get Iceland or Brazil or some other place to take him, I wouldn't mind him living out his days freely there. He did us a service. Imagine how much we don't know about how electronic communications of regular, law-abiding citizens are monitored on an everyday basis.

Droog likes this.
  19. Goodfella

Goodfella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Agreeance.

Initially i thought he is a traitor and throw the book at him. My biggest concern was Russia getting their hands on his files. That didn't happen as best as I can tell. I found myself sympathizing with him by the end of it. and it is fucking scary what our gubmint is doing. The Patriot Act is a bad motherfucker. Anyone willing to give up liberty for security deserves neither.

Droog likes this.
  20. Droog

Reputations:
    Yep, that was an oh shit moment. I experienced it when I tried skydiving. It was all fun and games leading up to the event itself. Then they called us to walk to the plane and reality hit. His whole life was officially changed at that moment. Young guy who was earning good money gave up security and a cushy life in the US. I don't think I could do the same.