Classic Callers

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by BenFromClifton, Feb 7, 2014.

1. BenFromClifton

BenFromClifton Member

Reputations:
    Was listening to the replay in my car today and got to thinking of classic callers like Gonzo and ARM from Long Island, are they on these boards? Wondering if they have given up on calling, got busy, etc. The Gonzo callers calls were insanely great - times when he would call in with a disguised voice from another borough, the raspy voice, living with his mother doing construction and "datin a colored girl"

Also Arm, forget about it - classic stuff with old movie references, starting each call with a melody.... not to mention it's NBA season and his Trailblazers are playing good ball.

I know ARM is on these boards, but "Gonzo", if you are on here and read these - a call sooner rather than later would be ideal my man.

Steve...Eat cha bologna

2. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    What happened to that guy from Harlem living in his ex-wife's basement?

3. ltd86

ltd86 Racist Banned User

Reputations:
    I hope they let Steve from NY through again too

4. BenFromClifton

BenFromClifton Member

Reputations:
    Wasn't the Harlem basement caller the same guy who did the Gonzo voice? I remember for a while everyone was convinced it was Colin Quinn

5. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    If you're into the twitter thing this is the guy (Steve from Queens) who called in as Gonzo: https://twitter.com/WritingComedy From his tweets, he should stick to being Gonzo. Of course he also started a Gonzo twitter, but hasn't updated it in a while. https://twitter.com/GonzoSheetrock

Listening to the early shows, he actually called in a lot using different names and voices, and was pretty funny each time.

6. octex

octex Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Me too. I want Bocchetti to go on another homophobic rant and get fired.

7. BenFromClifton

BenFromClifton Member

Reputations:
    So, does that mean that "Steve from Queens" is "Steve from NY" now and is the one going at Mike?

8. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No, they're two different people.

I think. Would be his greatest character yet if he was though.

9. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Holy shit. Mind = blown.

But Gonzo hasn't called in for a long, long time. I think even he gave up on the show after they hired Ritchie.

10. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think he stopped calling after N&A had Steve up to the studio. The mystique was gone after that I guess. I've sent him messages on twitter telling him to revive Gonzo, I wish he would he was one of the best parts of the old show.

11. Ipokesmot

Ipokesmot Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
  12. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    They (whichever twin it was) only understood the last 2 calls. Still, funny. I wonder if this was when they decided to start giving up on the show. Could you imagine if all the ALS forum regulars called and pranked the twins on one night?

I always wanted to try out a bit that Zach Galifianakis used in his stand-up. You say something very polite and soft in the first part of your sentence, then lose your patience during the sentence and go fucking nuts at the end: "Hi, could I please get a Strawberry Milkshake FUCKING NOW!" "Could you also please you use the low-fat whipped cream YOU FUCKING MORON!" Nothing is worse than someone on the phone screaming right into your ear after you raise the volume on the receiver to hear someone's soft voice.

If Artie actually regularly went to callers (maybe 1-2 in the middle or end of each hour), we might get more calls from people like gonzo.

13. kev

kev Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You think any of the callers now are fake? Artie took a call last week I think from some guy asking about Artie's favorite pizza joints. To me that sounded like a planted caller and one big ad, especially since Artie knew the exact addresses of the places and even mentioned the brand new artichoke pizza at one of them. Yeah I know he has a good memory, but it still seemed odd.

14. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    These were very banal and not good to be honest. I'm surprised you shared them with us.

15. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Well I'm gullible, but "artichoke" is actually in the name of that place, so it's easy to remember, and Artie knows his food. There are probably better choices for pizza though.

But maybe you're right. He'd still have to get several orders of magnitude worse to equal the king of fake product placement, his old boss.

I could definitely live without hearing "Gonzo" ever again, but WE MISS YOU ARM.

16. jgard

jgard Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Have you guys ever called in to the show? Besides the aforementioned above, does anyone else call in regularly?? I should probably start just to be able to speak with the girls; god what potential for vapidness, insipidity, and innocuous viewpoints on life in general - sounds enthralling for sure

17. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Well if nothing else it would be a good way for all the suspected mults to prove they were real and get out from under the shitmounds. But no I haven't called a radio show in decades.

18. Artiessobriety

Artiessobriety Active Member

Reputations:
    I called in once but never got through. I was going to pitch the idea that Bocchetti (before I hated him) could do a pushup every time he mispronounced a name. Not the greatest idea but I wanted a reason to call in lol. I briefly talked to Marie about what I wanted to say and was put on hold for 45 minutes before hanging up.

19. release

release New Member

Reputations:
    Do you know who it is that calls in once in a while to do some kind of mediocre impression? I'm pretty sure it's the same guy. He called last week to do the Klan leader. I know he did Tommy Lasorda a real long time back...

And you are calling Art on his knowledge of Pizza? If there's one thing I don't doubt about him is that he can name 10 pizza joints with exact addresses in any part of town. Sort of like how George Costanza can name the nicest public bathrooms in any area of Manhattan. I wouldn't doubt it if he had at least 3 pizza places in his single-digit speed dials.

In general, he also retains a lot of knowledge about very niche subjects, like: World Series champion teams, scores, games and the losing team. I think he also said he can name NFL Super Bowl winners, losers and the scores. Now, those are things that don't really matter to him and don't affect him personally or that often. Now pizza places, on the other hand, affect him on a daily/weekly basis.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014