Entertainment Colin Cowherd "blasts" espn. mike and mike= mickey and mickey in the morning

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by JesusTwinsBiggestFan, Sep 26, 2015.

1. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    good because i cant stand mike and mike in the morning. worst radio show ever.

[​IMG]

I hope you took the under in your “how long will it take for Colin Cowherd to start taking shots at ESPN” bets, because it took him all of 15 days.

On Wednesday’s broadcast of “The Herd,” now located at Fox Sports, Cowherd ran through a laundry list of complaints about his former employer in light of the news that a.) it’s reportedly going to lay off around 300 employees in a cost-cutting move; and b.) it no longer will provide “cover updates” on its college football telecasts:

But I saw something yesterday where ESPN is putting an end to their, quote, ‘Cover Alert,’ unquote, that they brought in to start the season. Basically you watch a football game on ESPN, they had cover alerts, “Hey, your team just covered.” And the bottom line is the NCAA executives came out, were not happy and they said ‘We don’t like it.’”

If I can be critical of ESPN, they’ve become incredibly reactionary over the last three or four years for a variety of reasons. They’re going to have 300 layoffs here, it’s incredibly sad. There’s a lot of executives protecting their space and their pensions, and they’ve become incredibly reactionary, but there’s a lot of great people over there. But here’s the thing: sports gambling’s not going anywhere. But ESPN’s in a very odd place with this, because they wanted to buy DraftKings. This company owns 10 per cent of DraftKings, ESPN wanted to own 10 per cent of DraftKings. They made a bid for it, Disney came in and said ‘No, you don’t.’ There is a struggle with that company, the former employer, right now, about gambling. Because ESPN is owned by Disney. When you think of Disney, you think of Lion King, you think of Frozen, you think Dancing With Stars, and you think Pocahontas, and you think kids, and theme parks.

Cowherd’s quotes make for an interesting companion piece to Scott Van Pelt’s comments Thursday night on “SportsCenter,” in which he urged that everyone give up the daily-fantasy-isn’t-gambling charade.

And then Cowherd went straight after “Mike & Mike in the Morning,” the anchor of ESPN Radio’s morning lineup:

You know, their morning show, Mike and Mike, we used to call it ‘Mickey and Mickey in the morning.’ It’s very Disney, it’s very safe, it’s very likeable, nobody’s going to get yelled at. It’s a very easy place for advertisers to come in, park their insurance commercial and nobody’s going to be offended. That’s the culture; it’s Disney-owned. Fox is owned by a family, The New York Post, Bill O’Reilly, Sons of Anarchy, some strong political opinions, Family Guy can be offensive. So you have different cultures. This culture’s very, very…they don’t care what you put on your Twitter account. They don’t give a rip.

Cowherd is one of three big-name ESPN personalities to depart the network this year. Keith Olbermann is another, and he’s never been shy about his love/hate feelings for ESPN. And then there’s Bill Simmons, who was dumped by ESPN earlier this year after a long relationship that can be most charitably described as “complicated.”

His first HBO podcast comes out in six days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...rd-blasts-espn-calls-mike-mike-mickey-mickey/

Domo Cup and Turtle Man like this.
  2. Shadoe Stevens

Shadoe Stevens Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't think there's much debate about Mike & Mike being a safe sports show for the casual sport's fan. I find it painful to listen to.

With that said, I think Cowherd is a serial moron. His big market v small market theme is so tiring. He's incredibly unfunny. His sport's takes are generic. He is a fair weather fan to any successful big market teams. Dan Patrick and Jim Rome's show can be far more entertaining.

I don't have the time to listen to any of these national guys anymore, but I was really disappointed to hear SVP and Rusillo was gone. Really enjoyed those two together.

Domo Cup, AxlCorey, Kilroy and 5 others like this.
  3. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    cowherd is super annoying and yet I did like his show

though lebatard is much better--him and that stugotz character are really quite entertaining

4. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:

Agreed. Some of those replacement pairings were unlistenable

Especially when they threw a broad in the mix. Sorry gals, but I'm not a fan of hearing you drone on about sports

Stag and Shadoe Stevens like this.
  5. johnfreeman1

johnfreeman1 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Both suck. Thank god Simmons is coming back in a couple of weeks + Grantland is good.

Furc and yaddc like this.
  6. Eclipse754

Eclipse754 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I went into listening to Cowhead hating him because he replaced Mr Tony's show on ESPNRadio. I mildly warmed to him because he was better than any local alternative show. But then I really hated him for who he was once he decided to constantly rip on my Cincinnati Reds.

7. spark888

spark888 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    "Blasts"? I am pretty sure everyone agrees with him including mike and mike. Honestly I like mike and mike in the morning. It's family friendly. They do have good guests. Just some good basic coverage.

I leave the channel on and sometimes come home at lunch and that Steven a smith and the white guy are on and it's just a bunch of contrived bullshit with a couple of big mouths spewing bullshit just for ratings.

fredrogers and scoobyla like this.
  8. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    I listen to Mickey and Mickey in the morning but there is really nothing else to listen to on the drive to work. It used to be listening to that wig for years.

But I am a big fan of Cowherd as well as the DP show so it's nice to see them venture out from the Mother Ship as well as get jabs in to their former employer.

9. Pigsaw

Pigsaw Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Cowherd?

Lou: Hey Bud, look at that bunch of cows over there.
    Bud: Herd.
    Lou: Heard what?
    Bud: No! A cow herd.
    Lou: What do I care what a cow heard?
    Bud: NO! HERD OF COWS!
    Lou: Of course I've heard of cows. What do I look like, a dummy?

10. Gilbert's sweatpants

Gilbert's sweatpants Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    In my opinion, Dan Patrick is the best sports guy on air at the moment.

Furc, tradioguy69, tomg and 4 others like this.
  11. scoobyla

scoobyla Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    he tries too hard to be 90s howard stern
    he thinks hes funny or riveting merely for saying something 'outrageous'.

yeah mike n mike is a safe show, but thats who they are, they arent safe just for advertising purposes as hes implying

12. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This. Clearly there's a market for their brand. ESPN has chosen to keep them on for years -- most likely because it's profitable.

I used to listen to M&M some, but it got played out for me and they have too many commercials.

13. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Patrick is great as long as he stays off his podium or soapbox or whatever. When he's in the mood to lecture - time to gtfo. And he sure condescended to Michael Sam yesterday.

14. ScottBaiosPenis

ScottBaiosPenis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    been a fan of dan le batard for years since he started with the Herald in the 90s,only sports guy I follow really

OV, Tipsey Russell and scoobyla like this.
  15. Divorce Chicken

Divorce Chicken white punk on dope VIP

Reputations:
    I miss the big fat Fabulous Sports Babe.

16. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    You know how in the movies they always have the big studly guy who's super successful and gets all the chicks constantly listening to sports talk radio?

I don't recall that.

Shadoe Stevens likes this.
  17. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:

Yeah, Dan's the best! Some of his homeristic rants are epic!

his hilarious recent reaction to Maddog Russo's meltdown over Tom Brady's father

18. yaddc

yaddc Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Only 1 morning sports show ( Boomer/ Carton

19. Tipsey Russell

Tipsey Russell VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    caller would cry about officiating costing their team some game
    she'd always tell them their team should have scored more then

I didn't dislike her show--I only listened for a short time-then it was gone

20. loogaroo

loogaroo Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    used to listen to a lot of sports radio: max kellerman, bob valvano, jim rome. can't do it anymore, its like the most bland thing in the world.