News College Cancels Vagina Monologues Performance Because Offensive to Trans Women Without Vaginas

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
    old news but I can't believe this was missed by the shed news team. credit to @June DeMay for bringing to attention...

Mount Holyoke Cancels 'Vagina Monologues' For Not Being Inclusive Enough

[​IMG]

Mount Holyoke College, an all-women's school in Massachusetts, has scrapped plans to host a performance of "The Vagina Monologues" because it is not inclusive enough.

Mount Holyoke student Erin Murphy explained on behalf of the student-run theater board in an email to students on Wednesday that the play is problematic because it is not inclusive of trans women,Campus Reform reported.

"At its core, the show offers an extremely narrow perspective on what it means to be a woman," Murphy explained, according to Campus Reform.

"Gender is a wide and varied experience," Murphy continued, "one that cannot simply be reduced to biological or anatomical distinctions, and many of us who have participated in the show have grown increasingly uncomfortable presenting material that is inherently reductionist and exclusive."

Murphy did not immediately return a request for comment from The Huffington Post

In 2014, Mount Holyoke began admitting transgender women for the first time, but the college told The Huffington Post that had nothing to do with the Vagina Monologues performance.

"The student-group decision to cancel the play was made independently of the College's transgender admission policy," the college said in a statement to HuffPost. "As a women's college with a long tradition of educating women leaders, Mount Holyoke College supports and encourages students to take the lead in establishing and governing their own organizations. The College encourages students to seek peer input through open discussion and to consider and respect all viewpoints in their decision-making process."

The school's annual performance on Valentine’s Day is a fundraiser for the V-Day campaign, a nonprofit that works to end violence against women and girls globally. The Vagina Monologues was written in 1996 by Eve Ensler, who founded the V-Day campaign. Ensler's play has been translated into 48 languages and performed in 140 countries, according to the V-Day campaign.

The college said the student-run Project Theatre sought input from students on campus in November as the membership considered whether to continue performing the play. The students had the Mount Holyoke dean of students distribute an email on its behalf to collect input from fellow undergrads about the play and its continued production.

"As a student-run group, Project Theatre makes all decisions about production, content and performances," the school continued.

At Columbia University in 2013, a student group created its own Vagina Monologues controversy in an attempt to be more inclusive of marginalized communities when it decided to only feature women of color in its cast. The intent, students said at the time, was to create "a space in which the voices, stories, and experiences of women of color can be heard, acknowledged, and addressed."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JustLurking

JustLurking Enforcer and Sergeant at Arms Gold

Reputations:
    I want to move to another planet.

3. shitba

shitba Shot Dead VIP

Reputations:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. Metalheavy19

Metalheavy19 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This is the end.......my only friend the end.

Gretsch Man, Slow and babybear like this.
  5. Mr Vengeance

Mr Vengeance Ladies love cool V. VIP

Reputations:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again....This fucking country.:facepalm:

6. Tyler9258

Tyler9258 Old friends, old whiskey, old songs

Reputations:
    Fuck this world

Slow and babybear like this.
  7. Limo Wreck

Limo Wreck Aboard the great mothership Staff Member

Reputations:
  8. babybear

babybear r.i.p 8/3/15, Wherewolf of AZ VIP

Reputations:
  9. Head Censor

Head Censor Turgid Member VIP

Reputations:
    :cwl:
    :spit:

What a bunch of stupid fucking cunts. :jj: :jj: :jj:

So all the pointy heads thought this train-wreck was plenty inclusive when it ignored the 50% of the population who have penises, but as soon as they figured out it excluded the .0003% of the population who are transgendered, it had to be banned. Fucking genius. :backlol2:

10. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I'm so glad they got their priorities straight.:bounce:

11. 1Vegasgirl

1Vegasgirl Well-Known Member VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Just keep voting for those liberal social programs.

Evil mean conservatives that care about saving the Country.

12. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...could i see mrs rodgers please?

13. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    Putin really is laughing at us. We will lose our country to terrorists in 50 years because these millenials are stupid and weak.

14. ice cream

ice cream Well-Known Member

Reputations:

couldn't agree more but I fear it may be too late

15. BrulesRules

BrulesRules Just grab 'em in the biscuits Gold

Reputations:
  16. goldtopper

goldtopper Well Known Heterosexual Gold

Reputations:
    "Gender is a wide and varied experience"
    :haha::haha::haha:

So, kinda like college or a trip to another country?

17. Rodney21a

Rodney21a Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:

Its an on going trend with colleges and the millennial's "student government" There is no more free speech on college campuses.

[​IMG]

Disinvitation Report 2014: A Disturbing 15-Year Trend
    By FIRE May 28, 2014

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
    Since our founding in 1999, the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has fought the culture of censorship on campus. One worrisome trend undermining open discourse in the academy is the increased push by some students and faculty to “disinvite” speakers with whom they disagree from campus appearances. While most noticeable around commencement season due to the high-profile status of many commencement speakers, disinvitations occur all year—and have been steadily increasing over the past 15 years.

Our research on disinvitations over the past 15 years identifies five trends:

1. The number of “disinvitation incidents”—i.e., efforts to prevent invited speakers from conveying their message on campus—has risen dramatically.
    2. The number of “successful” disinvitations where a speaker ultimately does not speak as a result of a concerted effort to prevent them from doing so has increased as well.
    3. Speakers are much more likely to be targeted for disinvitation for holding or expressing viewpoints perceived as conservative by faculty or students.
    4. Disinvitation incidents occur with nearly equal frequency among public, private, and sectarian schools, demonstrating that disinvitations are not isolated to any particular type of university.
    5. Institutions that have seen the highest number of disinvitation incidents also maintain severely speech-restrictive policies.

Definitions:
    The term “disinvitation incident” is used to describe the controversies on campus that arise throughout the year whenever segments of the campus community demand that an invited speaker not be allowed to speak (as opposed to merely expressing disagreement with, or even protesting, an invited speaker’s views or positions). We make a distinction between an attempt to censor a speaker and the actual end result of a speaker not speaking. “Disinvitation incidents” is the broadest category, including “unsuccessful disinvitation attempts” and “successful disinvitations.”

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CONCLUSION
    The disinvitation phenomenon is important—and worrisome—because of what it portends for free speech on campus more generally. A faculty that is hostile to the mere presence of oppositional, inconvenient, or unpopular speakers and beliefs will likely be less adept at teaching students the values of critical thinking, open-mindedness, and free intellectual inquiry that universities are supposed to embody. Students who refuse to hear opposing viewpoints will be less likely to learn critical thinking skills and less able to defend their own beliefs once off-campus. Moreover, disinvitation efforts may be fueled by a campus climate that encourages disregard for free speech rights, as suggested by the correlation between successful disinvitations and restrictive speech codes.

Slow likes this.
  18. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    I saw that vagina monologues thing in college.

It was one of the most retarded things I've ever seen & heard.

How do people have time for that dumb shit?

19. maroon

maroon Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I didn't read but the headline, GAWD I hope this is true, the chickens coming home to roost....I fucking love it.
    only through seriously stupid pain experienced by both team of retards will this country wake the fuck up to the faggotry of the left...I hope.o_O

[​IMG]

20. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    The Aliens Space aliens and Putin laughing gifs are very appropriate.

Super embarrassing that this happens.

Let alone makes the news.

PI Nate and IfTheyOnlyKnew like this.