News Colorized WW2 photos

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Shithead, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    The horrors of war brought to life 70 years on: Extraordinary colorized photographs show US Marines fighting in Japan during the Second World War

The brutal reality of life on the frontline in the Pacific War has been brought to light in a stunning set of colorized pictures.
    The eye-popping images show US Marines engaging in battle in Japan, wounded Marines waiting for help and war dog standing guard as a Marine takes quick respite from the battle that raged around him.
    Another shot show two US Marines look over Iwo Jima from atop Mt. Suribachui, where, just two days before, the American flag was famously risen.
    [​IMG]
    +10
    These are the amazing recolorized photographs of US Marines in a shell hole on the Japanese island of Saipan in June 1944
    [​IMG]
    +10
    Here, Private First Class, Rez P Hester sleeps in a fox hole while Butch, his war dog stands guard on Iwo Jima
    [​IMG]
    +10
    The photographs have been colored by Jared Enos, 19, from North Kingstown on Rhode Island
    The spectacular set was brought back to life by emergency medical technician Jared Enos, 19, from North Kingstown in Rhode Island.
    He said: 'There are two theaters in World War II that are known particularly for their carnage: The eastern front in Europe, and the Pacific theater.

'While quality photos of the eastern front are sparse, the United States Marine Corps has a respectable collection of images documenting some of the bloodiest battle the United States fought in World War II (namely, Okinawa and Iwo Jima).
    'In that context, I find a lot of these images moving, considering what the men who've been photographed might have experienced.'
    [​IMG]
    +10
    The technique used by Enos allows modern audiences to appreciate the sacrifices made by those fighting in 1945
    [​IMG]
    +10
    Here the Marine M4A3R3 Sherman tank - nicknamed the 'Zippo' by troops goes into action in Iwo Jima in March 1945
    [​IMG]
    +10
    Here, a marine advances towards a Japanese pillbox with a flamethrower - one of the most dangerous weapons of the war
    The US entered World War II after a surprise military strike on Pearl Harbor naval base by Japan.
    Jared said: 'This collection was a focused effort. These images really struck me like few others have since I started colorizing.
    'Knowing that the men in these photos had to fight tooth and nail for these tiny Pacific islands, and considering the infamy of these bloody conflicts makes the connection all the stronger.
    'These photos are the real deal, not staged photos to keep morale up on the home front.
    'In this collection we see the US Marines in the thick of it. We see them in some of the direst circumstances imaginable.
    'Ultimately, I want emphasize just how simultaneously terrible and inspiring the war was.'
    [​IMG]
    +10
    A wounded marine was carried to safety in Tarawa in November 1943, almost two years before the beginning of the war
    [​IMG]
    +10
    A marine observes the explosions as shells pound a Japanese position on the island of Iwo Jima in February-March 1945
    [​IMG]
    +10
    This PBY-5 Catalina flying boat was flying in formation above an undisclosed location when it was photographed
    [​IMG]
    +10
    In this image, Enos colored a flag on Mount Suribachui on Iwo Jima, which was taken several days after an iconic photo
    More than 6,500 US servicemen died in the battle at Iwo Jima, a tiny island 660 miles south of Tokyo that was deemed vital to the US war effort because Japanese fighter planes based there were intercepting American bomber planes. The invasion began on February 19, 1945, with about 70,000 Marines battling 18,000 Japanese soldiers for 36 days.
    Besides those killed, about 20,000 Americans were wounded. Only about 200 Japanese soldiers were captured, with the others killed in the fighting.
    This was followed by the Battle of Saipan between June and July 1945, when almost 30,000 Japanese troops were killed, with some 22,000 civilians dying - many of whom took their own lives.
    Of the 71,000 US troops who landed on the beaches, more than 3,400 died with a further 13,000 wounded.
    The frenzied nature of the defense convinced US commanders that an invasion of the Japanese mainland would cost many lives, so the decision was made to drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima on August 6 and then a second weapon on Nagasaki, three days later.
    The two atomic attacks, which shocked the world, prompted the Japanese to surrender.
    However, more than 140,000 people died in the attacks.

Stag, perdix, FlatTimmy and 20 others like this.
  2. SlipperyVic

SlipperyVic In Gord We Trust Gold

Reputations:
    Very cool find. Thanks for sharing

Penelope likes this.
  3. Shithead

Shithead Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  4. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    They were a bunch of tough motherfuckers back then. A shame so many of them sacrificed their lives so 70 years later America could become a country full of crybaby pussies.

Stag, perdix, tempetoro and 14 others like this.
  5. ChimneySweep

ChimneySweep Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Those pictures are all racist

6. EndOfLine

EndOfLine PLATINUM SPONSOR VIP

Reputations:
    From that, to this:

[​IMG]

7. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Great stuff!

8. Mike Huntslooce

Mike Huntslooce Maker of Champions Gold

Reputations:
    There's too much time between 1945 and 2016. When exactly did the major pussification of this once great country begin? I was born in 75, but raised by English parents who were definitely old-school, they being raised by parents born at tail end of WW1, and living in London during the Blitzkrieg of WW2. My grandmother told me terrible stories of shoveling body parts into dumpsters during the night and hiding in darkness during the day. Now we have whiny ass gender-fluid kids who want to piss in the wrong bathrooms. Fucking sad, and makes me glad I chose to not have kids.

9. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

WOW. These are awesome. Thanks for posting them @Shithead

Sorry, I know that sounds bad. No offense meant.

10. MutteringJohn

MutteringJohn Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Actual color film from WWII. Not colorized.

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  11. HelloCleveland!

HelloCleveland! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. njguy8

njguy8 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

I think in the 70's - when seat belts became a requirement.

Stag and Mike Huntslooce like this.
  13. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    That need "Safe Spaces".....................

Mike Huntslooce likes this.
  14. Snotty

Snotty My Snothand be strong!!! VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Hey.....Whitey got shit done......In two theaters....................

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Where's the diversity?