Comcast Pulls Plug on YES Network

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by ElegantElliotRight!, Nov 17, 2015.

1. ElegantElliotRight!

ElegantElliotRight! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    NYPost.com

How about the No Network?

2. BleedingGums

BleedingGums Fesh Fox Faggot VIP

Reputations:
  3. fixer

fixer I'm Retarded you Jerk. On the Power.

Reputations:
    What are they going to do? Put one of the cookie cutter, Comcast Sports Nets(insert your city here). Philly's sucks balls. When I travel, I liked watching the programs on the YES network.

4. Boomer

Boomer Who is your daddy and what does he do?

Reputations:
    :bigthink

5. hugh jasol

hugh jasol white trash on dope Gold

Reputations:
    Can they pull the plug on Bravo and OWN too while they are at it?

Head Censor and yaddc like this.
  6. funkface

funkface Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Good. The Michael Kay simulcast sucks balls. I hate that he got piece of ass like Jodi Applegate.

Crazy Jerry likes this.
  7. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The YES Network generates more revenue by itself than most baseball teams do for all their income. It's staggering the empire the Yankees are. I fucking hate the Yankees.

Rupert Pupkin and Penelope like this.
  8. zutroy

zutroy Totally nude. Totally flawless.

Reputations:
  9. !!!kaboom!!!

!!!kaboom!!! Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    It was when Cablevision blacked out YES for a year that I realized I really didn't like baseball. Before that, I used to watch 50-70 games a year plus read about the sport religiously. I guess it had been some addictive time waster. Thanks, corporate greed!

Winston Leg-Thigh likes this.
  10. cg256

cg256 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Sports Business Daily reported Tuesday that some residents in New Jersey could lose their YES Network connection at midnight, a channel that broadcasts the Yankees andBrooklyn Nets.

Following an impasse in contract negotiations between FOX Sports and Comcast, the latter's customers in N.J., Connecticut, and Pennsylvania may be blacked out when it becomes Wednesday. (FOX Sports owns theYES Network.)

From the report:

The deal actually expired several months ago during the early stages of the Yankees season. The two sides reached a series of temporary extensions that kept the same terms as the existing agreement.

The negotiating leverage now, though, favors Comcast. The Yankees season ended in October, and the Nets have stumbled to a 1-7 start. Nets ratings in the N.Y. market so far this season have been tiny. The team is averaging a 0.27 rating through the first two weeks of the season. By comparison, the crosstown rival Knicks are averaging a 1.71 rating on MSG Network for the same time period.

PLUS: Yankees announce 2016 spring training schedule

The report also said that "Comcast confirmed that its carriage deal with YES expires tonight." The network is taking an aggressive public stance, the report said.

More from the report:

In a statement emailed to THE DAILY, YES said, "Just weeks after the end of the baseball season, Comcast has decided to drop YES Network, home to the New York Yankees and Brooklyn Nets, with no advance notice to its subscribers. Comcast's reputation for poor customer satisfaction is well known, but this surprise development represents a new low."

The statement continues, "YES and Comcast reached an agreement in principle on the key points of a new contract many months ago, and YES continued to operate in good faith under that arrangement through the entire Yankees season and into the Nets season. Unfortunately, because YES will not yield to Comcast's demands for special treatment and anti-competitive terms, Comcast has decided to drop YES Network and its coverage of the NY Yankees and Brooklyn Nets."

Comcast also released a statement concerning the negotiations, mentioning low viewership for Yankees games this past year:

YES Network carried approximately 130 baseball games this past season and well over 90 percent of our 900,000 plus customers who receive YES Network didn't watch the equivalent of even one quarter of those games during the season, even while the Yankees were in the hunt for a playoff berth. Viewership of the network in the baseball offseason is even lower.

FOX and the Yankees are asking all of our customers to pay them hundreds of millions of dollars over the next several years to continue receiving the channel. The price FOX and the Yankees are requiring from our customers is not acceptable given the Network's minimal viewership, which is why we have decided we can no longer justify continuing to carry the Network. YES simply does not present an appropriate price-value proposition for our customers."

Ryan Hatch may be reached at rhatch@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @ryanhatch. Find NJ.com on Facebook.

http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2015/11/some_nj_residents_may_lose_the_yes_network_yankees.html

11. ElegantElliotRight!

ElegantElliotRight! Well-Known Member

Reputations:
  12. Penelope

Penelope VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Baseball isn't as popular as it once was; no question. I still love wasting time with it, though.

!!!kaboom!!! likes this.
  13. funkface

funkface Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    And if old George didn't die the year there was no federal estate tax, his kids would have sold the team.

14. knu3421

knu3421 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Mark the bagger

YAS!

:wtf:

15. Shortwave98

Shortwave98 A-Number 1 Banned User

Reputations:

stash likes this.
  16. Wesmantooth

Wesmantooth VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    no surprise baseball is boring as fuck. wake me when the playoffs start after a thousand fucking reg season games. and yes they will roll out a comcast sport net NY. bet on it. they have them in all the markets so NY can get in line

17. JesusTwinsBiggestFan

JesusTwinsBiggestFan Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Typical NYC bullshit. The rest of the country doesn't give a fuck you are losing your channel to watch the shitty nets and Yankees. I'll start a thread when I lose fox sports san diego.

18. Rupert Pupkin

Rupert Pupkin That Ass is Attached to Daniela Lopez Gold

Reputations:
    Maybe there is an opportunity to direct sell the network via streaming. Its happening anyway and then the Jankees can keep 100% of the subscription and advertising revenue.

Not sure how that works with MLB.com subscriptions, but that's where TV is heading.

I believe ESPN and CBS are doing that now.

19. Crazy Jerry

Crazy Jerry Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    This has bothered me for years.
    It is a travesty of the largest magnitude that he is fowling her with his seed!