Entertainment Comedy Central cancels Larry Wilmore's 'Nightly Show'

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by KDK12, Aug 15, 2016.

1. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How long before that South African Asshole on the Daily Show is shitcanned? Never watched one episode of this guy but every thing I heard he was a butt-hurt SJW that constantly shoe horned slavery and racism into every story. Goodnight boring sjw man.

Comedy Central cancels Larry Wilmore's 'Nightly Show Gary Levin, USA TODAY 10:59 a.m. EDT August 15, 2016

Comedy Central's 'The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore' has been cancelled after a 19-month run on Comedy Central.(Photo: Peter Yang, Comedy Central)

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart spawned new shows for correspondents Stephen Colbert, John Oliver and Samantha Bee, now on rival networks. But Larry Wilmore's Comedy Central's spinoff, TheNightly Show, is ending Thursday after a disappointing 19-month run.

The show, a mixture of topical segments, a panel discussion and games ("Keep it 100"), just never caught on with viewers, says Comedy president Kent Alterman, despite heightened interest in the unprecedented presidential election and Wilmore's stint hosting the White House Correspondents Dinner in April.

"Even as the show has evolved creatively ... it hasn't seemed to connect with our audience, which is disconcerting and disappointing to us," Alterman says. With decisions looming on third-season contract renewals for Wilmore and key producers, "When we took a hard look — especially after the conventions, where we also didn't see any traction we were hoping for — we didn't have enough evidence to justify committing to another year."

In the second quarter of this year, Nightly Show averaged 738,000 viewers including 7-day delayed viewing, vs. 1.35 million for Daily Show.

Chris Hardwick's @midnight, which has a larger audience than Nightly, will shift a half-hour earlier, to Wilmore's 11:30 ET/PT time slot for the next several months. Comedy is "actively developing" a replacement series eyed for next spring, though the network isn't wedded to a specific format.

Wilmore, in a statement, said: "I'm really grateful to Comedy Central, Jon Stewart, and our fans to have had this opportunity. But I'm also saddened and surprised we won't be covering this crazy election or "The Unblackening," as we've coined it. And keeping it 100, I guess I hadn't counted on "The Unblackening" happening to my time slot as well."

[​IMG]
    Larry Wilmore (Photo: Slaven Vlasic, Getty Images)

Nightly premiered in January 2015 as a replacement for The Colbert Report, after Colbert quit to replace David Letterman on CBS. A month later, Jon Stewart announced plans to leave The Daily Show, but Alterman says Stewart's exit last August wasn't a factor in Nightly's demise. Wilmore "kind of struggled out of the gate, even when Jon was still there."

The cancellation also raises questions about Stewart's replacement, South African stand-up comedian Trevor Noah, who's been eclipsed in the cultural conversation, and especially by critics, in favor of Oliver's HBO series, Last Week Tonight, and Bee's TBS show, Full Frontal, both of which air weekly.

But Alterman says Comedy is "fully committed" to Noah, citing improvement of his hosting skills, increased online viewing and his large social-media footprint. Comedy claims Daily is the top-rated late-night show among a narrow audience segment of men ages 18 to 34, although at his peak Stewart was No. 1 among all 18-to-49-year-olds. "When we hired Trevor we didn't hire him for his experience" — he had none — "we hired him for his talent, which is enormous." He asserted that in recent months, Noah has "a new plateau of confidence, and he's taken ownership of the show and exudes a strong point of view and voice."

Despite a political bounce that has sharply boosted ratings for cable-news networks, Noah's Daily Show is averaging less than half the same-day audience Stewart had last year.

BethWeave, Fatass and CrucifiedAGT like this.
  2. YinzerMasshole

YinzerMasshole VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    Comedy Central fucked up and let the stable of talent run away... Now they have to start back at zero.

3. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Maybe when CBS cancels Colbert he can go back to his old show and do his character again.

4. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...so long unfunnyman.

NyMarkNy, Nice, BethWeave and 21 others like this.
  5. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I didn't even know this show existed.

Guess I'm not the only one.

6. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    He never did stop doing his character. That's why his ratings are so low.

AbeVigoda and joyceface like this.
  7. jrstinkfish

jrstinkfish The Slow Adult VIP

Reputations:
    Should not have let John Oliver and Samantha Bee get away, they would been better hosts of The Daily Show and whatever came after. Wilmore's persona did not warrant a nightly show to himself.

8. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Hough likes this.
  9. KDK12

KDK12 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Colbert is serious now here he is getting lectured by BLM Head Homo Deray about his whiteness.
    [​IMG]

Vagineer and FrstTimeLngTme like this.
  10. June DeMay

June DeMay Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    BethWeave and KDK12 like this.
  11. SorryBoff

SorryBoff Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It does make you appreciate Jon Stewart more, these other folks were OK in small doses, not good enough to carry a show.

Not surprised Noah and Wilmore are tanking, kinda surprised Oliver is getting viewers, maybe it's just me but his accent is like nails on a chalkboard, like Rosie Perez, Franco Dresher level grating.

Humongous, scoobyla, Hough and 3 others like this.
  12. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    I disagree, I miss the old character alot, and bailed on this show after the first week of airing. :(

13. Dan

Dan Do you like my car?

Reputations:
    Best news I've heard in a long time.

FrstTimeLngTme, KDK12 and slab0meat like this.
  14. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    I've never watched the show but I record @Midnight and it usually picks up the last 30 seconds of Wilmores show. I have no idea what its about but there's always a really cute short black girl bouncing around that Id like to see naked.

15. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Tried catching the show when it first started.
    Really unfunny.
    Not surprised it's finally cancelled

Franklintown1 likes this.
  16. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
  17. Mark Mayonnaise

Mark Mayonnaise You look like a tree! VIP

Reputations:
    Another victory for white people!

Boozebag, Cookiepus and stash like this.
  18. Kanye West

Kanye West Yeezus!

Reputations:
    maybe theyll give that slot to an unfunny white guy that you may like

19. Vincenzo69

Vincenzo69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Elisa Jordana should get the show

PTRacing and Windom like this.
  20. Willowglen

Willowglen Lookin thru the glass ceiling & up Stephs skirt VIP

Reputations:
    As usual in such a rush to run here to carry GOP water shitfiddle isn't smart enough to see there's already a thread about this on the front page.