Commercials - Howard vs. Podcasts

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Peau de Soie, May 2, 2012.

1. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Since moving from the AGT Home Shopping Network on to netcasts/podcasts I've noticed that a lot of shows feature the same advertisers, across twit.tv tech shows, Carolla/Penn, Kevin Pollak, and others. These tend to be the likes of Audible, Stamps.com, Amazon, GoToMyPC, and Ford.

The LEAST mainstream advertiser has been something Carolla pronounces as "AutoShipper" (I think it's "shepherd"). Even that is just an online auto parts store.

These podcast ads take up, at MOST, perhaps 5 minutes out of a 60 or 90 minute netcast.

This contrasts with the wall-to-wall ads on the Stern show, consisting mostly of really low-rent scams such as AshleyMadison, Cheaterville, WhatsYourPriceForThisWhore, "Bee Zit", etc. The MOST reputable might be "Regus", which also has a terrible reputation.

These Stern ads take up roughly 2 hours out of the 4 hour show.

What's wrong with this picture?

Why do free podcasts, with NO subscriber income stream, have far fewer and much better quality ads? Some of these podcasts are profit-making enterprises.

2. Popeye Saavedra

Popeye Saavedra Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    When Howard first started at Sirius, were there commercials? Did he ever try to market his Sirius show to his audience as being "commercial free?" Just wondering as I never had Sirius. But isn't subscription based radio supposed to be commercial free? I thought that was the point of it.

3. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wonder if these are the only advertisers the show can attract at this point and the spots might be going relatively cheaply. I considered 7/11 and Klondike the last of the semi-mainstream advertisers. I could never figure out why Klondike was bothering, those "sexed" up ads were embarassing for the product and who was the target? Stern sure the hell wasn't a believable spokesperson for Klondike or 7/11. It seems like a scattershot approach from the advertisers that might be price driven.

The Podcasts seems to have a targeted audience that has hard numbers for subscribers, so advertisers can make an informed choice.

4. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    All the music channels are commercial free. Anything with talk (including Radio Classics) has commercials.

5. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    The first show was the only commercial free show, but for the first couple of years the breaks were infrequent and pretty short compared with the bloated bombardment of today. Howard stated in his "eh-eh-eh" promises the last two years on WXRK that "breaks would be infrequent, only long enough to use the restroom or set up the new segment and they'd probably play music during them"

6. TehLivingDeath

TehLivingDeath New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    The first one was commercial free? Did they all have piss-jugs?

7. Racerx969

Racerx969 Member

Reputations:
    At first, I would pause my s50 and just skip thru the commercials and heavily recycled bits. Once everything turned into one big commercial I cancelled. I like how podcasts handle commercials. No sneaking them in. Usually right up front and about 5 minutes. Some of the longer ones have a spot in the middle too. Don't mind. It's free.

Commercials on a pay service seems greedy to me.

8. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Yup, since they're most often "live reads" and the hosts make an effort, I rarely even fast forward through them. (This has got to sound like gold to advertisers!)

9. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations: