Politics Confederate Flag Burnings. Time for flag to go?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Slow, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Slow

Slow My name is my name DawgShed News

Reputations:
  2. fredrogers

fredrogers Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    From this yank's perspective, I don't care either. The only reason I think it should stay is that it's really the one thing that this world of super-offended cunts and SWJ's hasn't been able to conquer.
    And fuck the "it's our heritage" bullshit. I don't see ANY OTHER group hold onto something so miniscule so dearly.
    But what do I know?

3. Ta Ta Toothy

Ta Ta Toothy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I have no dog is this fight either, but I'm all in favor of anything that pisses off the PC Police and the perpetually offended. Keep it flying', baby!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  4. SalsMasterShake

SalsMasterShake Mouthpiece VIP

Reputations:
    That "our heritage" stuff is 100% :bs: anyway...

Johnny Reb's battle flag didn't start making its way into the Southern States' respective flags until the civil rights era began...

Is that era in time (lynchings, murders, church fire bombings) the one that is so full of "heritage" that needs to be so fondly remembered?

Civil Wars usually have "terrors," purges, and counter-revolutionary terrors associated with them in their wakes. The U.S. was lucky to avoid that (for the most part).

Still, I have never understood that "South will rise again" BS and the yearnings for such :quote: genteel :quote: times.

Burn the flag. If you want to go historic, use the flag from statehood, not the 1950s.

Droog, ZevonFan, Babalugats and 12 others like this.
  5. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    The confederate flag was adopted in the 1860s... Not the 1950s... It represents the south. Only racists, millenneals and liberals think that it SOLELY represents slavery, because they only want to believe what fits their agenda.

Yeah, slavery was a part of the southern culture. It was also part of northern culture. It was also part of African culture. It was also part of European, Asian, South American, Australian, and it still is a part of cultures around the world, from the obvious places such as qatar, to the less obvious of illegal hot spots in the american bread basket.

It's time to start actually thinking about things. If the confederate flag insults you so badly, look inside to fix what's wrong with you.

6. Alisonsbankacct

Alisonsbankacct Out to lunch.

Reputations:
    Usually when you lose a war you don't to keep flying your old flag.

7. R.P. McMurphy

R.P. McMurphy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    ...this shit is never gonna end.

GLguygardner and Captain like this.
  8. SalsMasterShake

Reputations:
    You completely missed my point: I am well aware that the Confederate Battle Flag (the "stars and bars") was adopted during the Civil War. My point was that Southern States didn't start adding it to their own, respective State flags until the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Georgia_(U.S._state)

I was a bit of a "flag nerd" growing up...

As you can see, the stars and bars didn't make its way into Georgia's state flag until 1956, when it was adopted after being designed by a Democratic attorney and proponent of segregation.

Lastly, I didn't say jack shit about slavery and where it fits "inside" of me. It's a part of me, as it is a shit ton of Americans, black and white, and I accept that. Again, this notion that the stars and bars incorporated into State flags is some how linked to Southern "heritage" is a part of Southern history that many (not all) Southerners probably would like to forget.

9. Kool

Kool Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    fckn disgrace that's still flying....

10. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    No, I got that. I'm not sure how incorporating it into other state flags is relevant.

Also, only my first sentence was applicable to you, unless you're one of those people that can't stand to look at the stars & bars, which I don't believe you to be.

This topic is annoying to me, because it is textbook intolerance. Let the southerners have their flag. Apart from the Alavert aspect, they have other things to be proud of. If you must equate that design to slavery, do it to remind you what a horror slavery was.

11. joyceface

joyceface Queen of Everything VIP

Reputations:
    the flag represents treasonous traitors of our country. Why it is allowed to fly at any state capital is beyond me. a private citizen who wants to wave it is another story - free speech issue. But there is a distinction between when it's a speech issue and when you wave it to overthrow the government or try to start a war.

Lola, Gusbuss, HypocriteHowie and 8 others like this.
  12. Dump Button

Dump Button Former Mall Security Guard

Reputations:
    Wasnt the stars and bars a war flag that was used during the civil war to communicate amongst the battles? Both sides used flags to communicate. I think it was a new idea during the era.

13. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Our president conspired and was mentored by a known terrorist and cop killer, he leaves the White House door open to Al Sharpton and allows him to influence the DOJ, for nearly 20 years he was a member of a church whose leader/pastor preaches hate toward white people and prays for God to damn America, and we're worried about a fucking flag?

14. MelroseLarry#1

MelroseLarry#1 Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Is this part of the whole obama is Abraham lincoln riding the train to Washington dc meme ?

Vomit, he just sold out the whole country by passing the PTT deal yesterday, some fucking man of the people, more like puppet of the billionaires

15. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Fine with me, I'll get started with confiscation right away.

upload_2015-6-19_21-18-4.jpeg

16. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Yowza. :wub:

Shortwave98 and SalsMasterShake like this.
  17. SalsMasterShake

Reputations:
    It's incorporation into State flags in the 1950s is relevant to demonstrate that the segregationists who put it there, did so intentionally, as a symbol of defiance and intolerance (90 years after the Civil War ended, and in the face of the rise of the civil rights era).

You're right, I'm not someone who gets bent at looking at a battle flag, but I want to make it clear that I didn't even bring up the topic of slavery in my initial post. It was more about this fake :quote: historic :quote: aspect that really isn't one (or one that's not worth much historic reverence).

South Carolina is a bit different, in that they have their Palmetto flag (which I always thought was pretty cool), but they fly the stars and bars, intact, separately, on the same staff as the American flag, and the Palmetto flag (below both).

I think it's an interesting topic, but not one that needs to be a rallying cry for the horrible tragedy in Charleston. This guy was full of hate, and nuttiness, obviously - I don't know how much you can tie in a flag to all of this, really...

DuckDong, joyceface and John Sterling like this.
  18. John Walker

John Walker Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I wouldn't ban it. Pit it in a museum with the dinosaur shit. I live in this state so I get to see that symbol of domestic terrorism every day on the back of pick up trucks (may they get aids), on businesses and t-shirts. I have to hear that fucking childish "heritage" horseshit day in and day out. Do you love America? "I sho' do, bo! Land of the free and home of duh brave!"....then why the fuck are you glorifying the symbol that represents an army that tried to destroy it? Fuck you and your family. Oh, and fuck your "great grand pappy" in his rotten old confederate shit cave.

19. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    well said --for the state to fly it, and sanction it, would be the same as Germany flying the Nazi flag in the capital

DuckDong, joyceface and babybear like this.
  20. SalsMasterShake

Reputations:
    http://www.usflag.org/confederate.stars.and.bars.html

Dump Button likes this.