Conspiracy theory #364 - The Tapes

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by skytzoboy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. skytzoboy

skytzoboy not a fuck to give

Reputations:
    Anybody ever pick up on this? I think Howard has had the Tapes Team deliberately slow down the speed on some tapes to make his old higher pitched, whiny, nasally delivery sound more like his current Darth Vader ultra-compression voice. It's really obvious on some clips when others speak - Robin sounds like James Earl Jones. :rolleye: Others I've heard are a little more subtle - the other day on Shuffle, they played Billy West doing Desmond Tutu. At the end of the segment, they were playing Sweet Home Alabama with Billy going off over it...it wasn't blatantly slowed down, but the pitch was off just enough on the song that it didn't sound right. Is this just a simple case of the original source taped being stretched out from use, or is Howie really that vain about his voice that he has these tapes team guys go through and alter any old, nasal Howard recordings? Nah, couldn't be. :c

2. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    It's a good theory, but in the scheme of things I don't care if they're doing it or not. I'm sure someone with copies of the original recordings could compare for you, if you provide specific dates and times.

3. baby booie

baby booie Active Member

Reputations:
    yeah, Gary the other day sounded like the old bigfoot yet Howard sounded like he does today

4. skytzoboy

Reputations:
    Jesus Christ, I don't give that much of a fuck. :facepalm:

5. mattyfishrip197

mattyfishrip197 Well-Known Member

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  6. skytzoboy

Reputations:
    Kick ass. :2up:

7. mattyfishrip197

Reputations:
    yep...i love it

8. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    What happened to Conspiracy Theories #1-363?

9. Vanquish

Vanquish New Member

Reputations:
    LOL

Anyway I've seen people say this on the old SFN. But I think it has something to do with the equalization that terrestrial radio uses(some "pump" up the sound, to make it louder, and people are more bound to stop at a louder station when surfing channels), and maybe SiriusXM doesn't use equalization.

Or maybe they just use Adobe Audition to even/flatten the sound. Or indeed change the pitch. But I don't think they would do it deliberately, why would they, to make Howard sound better? Take off your tinfoil hat lol.

10. mattyfishrip197

Reputations:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  11. tv910

tv910 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I've noticed Howard's voice on some of the recent recorded ads sounds different. It's much deeper and he speaks slower and enunciates every syllable, unlike the higher-pitched more excited sounding voice he usually has. I wonder if he's working with a voice coach in preparation for AGT.

12. telecaster

telecaster Get Yer Ya Ya's Out

Reputations:
    Master of Reality is my favorite Sabbath record...I tried to get my teenage nephew to buy it the other day but he insisted on getting some Bob Marley anthology, because I think the chicks in his school are into it. So I bought MOR for him and he promised me he'd listen to it...I walked into his bedroom a few weeks afterward and there it was still in the wrapper, unopened. I expressed my disappointment, called him a pussy and took the CD away from him. Fucking punk doesn't deserve the finer things in life.

13. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    There are several factors going on here:

1. The tapes team runs everything through the magical "Voice of Howchie[SUP]TM[/SUP]" machine. At the front end of the machine is a parametric equalizer, tuned to Howchie's "normal" voice. Sounds too high or too low bypass the VoH[SUP]TM[/SUP] filter and pass right through, while sounds within that narrow band are frequency shifted down to a lower pitch. THe problem is, Gary and Robin often pitch their voices "close enough" to Howchie's normal range that the machine lowers them, as well.

With some of the older bits, or when Howchie gets excited, his pitch rises to ouside the normal range of the machine, and sounds very shrill. This is especially noticable with his WNBC tapes.

2. Prior to WXRK's purchase of the "Voice of Howchie[SUP]TM[/SUP]" machine, Howard used a cheaper method of disguising his whiney voice: he simply cranked the gain of his mike up and overmodulated. The combo of a pre-overmodulated voice meeting the magic of the VoH[SUP]TM[/SUP] filter is not a pretty one.

3. The tapes, themselves, are old and were probably cheap. Some shows were recorded on reel-to-reel, others on cassette, while later shows were on DAT or burned directly to CD. The older reels and cassettes stretched when they were first played, stretched more when they were played back to "lift" segments for "Best of," and stretched even more when they were "baked" prior to being transferred to digital (audio CDs). (The baking was to keep the oxide layer on the tape from falling off during playback, which causes "drop outs." Once baked and played, the tapes, themselves, are pretty much useless and have probably been destroyed.) Stretched out tapes sound slower because they are being played slower (a physically longer tape, going past the magnetic head at so many inches per second, ends up taking a longer amount of time to play).

Professionals correct for tape stretch (and differences in record vs playback speed) by encoding "tone" on the tape (typically 1 KHz or 3 KHz at 0db level). The tone is not only used to set the playback output level (to 0db), but with good equipment, a frequency meter or oscilloscope can be used to determine the exact playback speed, and the tape player's capstan speed can be precisely adjusted to match. I very much doubt Howchie had this done during the digitizing of his tapes, probably because they never bothered recording tone onto the tapes, back when the shows were being recorded, live.

14. pheelios

pheelios Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    20,000+ Hours of old shows on tape?
    Where the hell are they all!!!

15. CFStern

CFStern New Member

Reputations:
    The WNBC voice is truly cringe-inducing.

Cue the annoying clapping.

16. Peau de Soie

Peau de Soie Edit Button? Thanks LaserTilt!

Reputations:
    Oh the clapping. Is there a Howchie Machine for that too?

17. CFStern

CFStern New Member

Reputations:
    I picture poor Fred doing one of these :facepalm: whenever he hears that.

18. Mr Fantastic

Mr Fantastic Found Nemo VIP

Reputations:
    I understood that they were slowed down by Super Tim to make them fill more time.

19. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, over 19,000 of those hours include segments where Howard insults A list celebrities, uses the N word, mocks gays/blacks/hispanics/asians, or intentially inflicts distress on the retarded and handicapped. That doesn't leave a lot left for the evolved Howard Stern to put on.

20. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Member

Reputations:
    Don't forget mentions of Alison. While I do not believe Howchie's divorce settlement included the gag order on the playing of anything connected with Alison, the Bethman had a (man sized) hand in making sure no material concerning Howchie's "real" wife is played. That, alone, must count for between a couple and several thousand hours.

No more playing the origin of Clumpy Stern.

Fuck that Horse Faced Cunt, and pterodactyl Howchie.