Cool Rolling Stone piece on 21 Pilots. # of times Green Day mentioned, once. Billy don't know shit

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Daveindiego, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    about music.

Remember that ass clown butt trumpeting how Twentyone Pilots were a Green Day knockoff? :giggle:

Yeah, they are a little more complex than that.

Oh, and the one Green Day mention was the drummer had to sneak the CD into his house.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...he-biggest-new-band-of-the-past-year-20160114

Twenty One Pilots: Inside the Biggest New Band of the Past Year
    Their duo is a surprise success story. So why are Tyler Joseph and Josh Dun so stressed out?

By Andy Greene January 14, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Twenty One Pilots are easily the biggest group to break out in the past year. They are also one of the hardest-to-categorize hit acts in recent memory. Andrew Lipovsky
    When Twenty One Pilots frontman Tyler Joseph scrolls through his phone, there are hundreds of names in the contacts he doesn't quite recognize: kids from the band's hometown of Columbus, Ohio, who were the earliest fans of his two-man group, from back in the days when Joseph used to drive door-to-door hand-delivering tickets for club shows. When that grew too time-consuming, he and drummer Josh Dun would have fans meet them at a table outside the Chick-Fil-A in the Polaris mall's food court. On show days, Joseph's mom would stand outside the club and try to hawk tickets to passing Ohio State students. "She'd be like, 'Come see my son play music,'" recalls Joseph, who's 27 but could pass for a teenager, with a puppyish, Joseph Gordon-Levitt vibe that turns into something stranger and more intense onstage.

Sidebar

[​IMG]
    On the Charts: Twenty One Pilots Earn Top Spot »

That was just four years ago. The duo's grassroots approach has, to their surprise, propelled them way, way beyond central Ohio. They are easily the biggest group to break out in the past year: In mid-January, Twenty One Pilots had a Top 10 single ("Stressed Out") and the country's Number Three album, lodged between Justin Bieber and One Direction. Weeks ago, they announced a 58-date arena tour, including two nearly sold-out shows at Madison Square Garden.

They're signed to the punk-leaning label Fueled by Ramen — launching pad for Fall Out Boy and Paramore — but Twenty One Pilots are one of the hardest-to-categorize hit acts in years, mixing angsty lyrics, Macklemore-style rhymes, Ben Folds–like piano pop, 311-ish reggae beats, hard-rock energy and the occasional ukulele ballad. Onstage, Joseph plays bass, piano and uke when he's not stalking around in smeared makeup and a bondage mask. Dun, a chilled-out former skater with an easy grin and gauges in his ears, helps them sound like a band, triggering prerecorded backing tracks as he plays. It's a seemingly odd combination that makes total sense to their teen fan base. "There was a lot of pressure to find a genre and stick to it," says Joseph. "People would tell me all the time, 'You can't be all things to everyone.' I would say, 'I'm not trying to be! I'm being what I want to be for myself.'"

Their current hit, the rap-rock throwback "Stressed Out," is about the harsh end of adolescence ("Used to dream of outer space, but now they're laughing at our face/Saying, 'Wake up, you need to make money'"). And backstage at The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon the week before Christmas, Joseph is doing his best to live like a kid again, gleefully flying down the quiet halls on his brand-new hoverboard, past uniformed NBC pages and frowning security guards. "How do I go forward?" he asks. "I just push my wiener out? I guess it just reads the ween!"

As showtime approaches, Joseph begins to transform, slathering black grease paint all over his neck and arms and trading his T-shirt and jeans for a stylish long black coat and dark pants. He stands up from the couch and begins pacing back and forth. "This makeup forces me to recognize what I'm trying to say on this stage with this song," he says. "I'm anxious to get up there and get this over with."

They play the album track "Heavydirtysoul": Like most songs on their newest album, Blurryface, it delves deep into Joseph's insecurities. "There's an infestation in my mind's imagination," he speed-raps. Fallon is sitting in darkness at his desk, but he's banging his head along to the beat; Questlove is also impressed, tweeting later in the day, "Whoa ... I wasn't ready!!!"

Joseph and Dun emerge from behind a red curtain into the Tonight Show hallway as Joseph's slim blond wife of nine months, Jenna, and members of their management team and road crew burst into applause. "Well," Joseph says, breathing heavily, "that was four minutes of hard work."

[​IMG]
    "It is true that if you hear our music described, it sounds unappealing," Tyler Joseph admits. Jim Bennett/Corbis

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/twenty-one-pilots-inside-the-biggest-new-band-of-the-past-year-

2. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    the average age of people posting in the bar right now is 76

3. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    I'm 46.
    Fuck current music.
    Where's my Mr. Mister album?

Dream Theater likes this.
  4. Daveindiego

Daveindiego Confirmed Internet Legend Gold

Reputations:
    How embarrassing to have compared these guys to Green Day.

Billy should just stop posting on this site.

5. DarkFriday

DarkFriday Fired as a MOD...Twice. Gold

Reputations:
    :grouch:

6. Chigs

Chigs The finest in the Nation VIP

Reputations:
    I was under the impression that the comparison was more in regards to popular success and staying power, rather than the music itself. I might have missed the boat on that argument

artiesoffspring likes this.
  7. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:
    Sometimes I wonder if Chigs is ever going to do that Bieber review or not...... :depressed:

RenchFries and Chigs like this.
  8. Chigs

Reputations:
    I was almost going to tag you today. I've been south of the border checking out great(subjectively speaking) music. I will try to give something of a review soon.

9. Thelonious Davis

Thelonious Davis Magical negro.

Reputations:
    Both of these bands suck so this is a pointless thread

10. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
  11. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

nice. is a festival going on down there ?

12. Mojopin

Mojopin Resplendent in his frock VIP

Reputations:
    Can't wait for your upcoming thread about Miley Cyrus.

RenchFries likes this.
  13. Chigs

Reputations:
    Phish (hence why I said subjective :snicker: ) did a three show all-inclusive run in the Riviera Maya. They were my 120th-122nd phish shows

14. RH Goatcabin

RH Goatcabin Notable Member VIP

Reputations:
    Do you have a job?

15. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

:D

I always picture myself incarcerated and one day in the prison library I'm all fuck it--- I have nothing but time, I'm going to get into Phish.... and after a while the light goes off and I get it.....

Chigs likes this.
  16. Chigs

Reputations:
    Haha. That's one way to look at it

RenchFries likes this.
  17. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Just because they throw a bunch of genre styles together doesn't mean they're complex. :rolleyes:

RenchFries likes this.
  18. Lou Loomis

Lou Loomis Feel the Gern

Reputations:

There's just sooooooo much music I haven't gotten to yet....

19. Gomez

Gomez Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Rolling Stone = thinks Yoko Ono is musical genius :facepalm:

20. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    I'll just go ahead and grab a bed sheet and hang myself from my bunk.

Lou Loomis likes this.