cop shoots unarmed man while he reaches for his i.d.

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by skylarbrie, Sep 25, 2014.

1. skylarbrie

skylarbrie VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
  2. skylarbrie

Reputations:
  3. killallposers

killallposers VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That cop fucked up.

I have a strong feeling if the dude was white, the cop wouldn't have panicked and shot. I'm not usually one to go jumping to that conclusion, but I gotta call a spade a spade.

abbypark2225 likes this.
  4. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    that cop is a shitty shot...

Ta Ta Toothy likes this.
  5. skylarbrie

Reputations:
    he was not wearing a seat belt in a gas station parking lot....

Mulletude likes this.
  6. killallposers

Reputations:
    He was literally this bad...

DinnerSocks likes this.
  7. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    easy to second guess isnt it

8. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    The cop was fired, and charged

COLUMBIA, SC — An S.C. trooper who stopped a man for a seat belt violation outside Columbia and then shot him – apparently without provocation – was arrested Wednesday and charged with assault and battery of a high and aggravated nature.

Sean Groubert, 31, a lance corporal who was fired from the Highway Patrol after the shooting incident, now faces 20 years in prison if convicted of wrongfully shooting the driver, Levar Jones.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/09/24/...ed-with-felony.html?sp=/99/132/#storylink=cpy

9. ApeFace

ApeFace Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why would the guy turn and make a sudden movement for his truck like that? For his id? Couldn't he have just said to the cop "my wallet is in the car". Use some common sense.

Mantis likes this.
  10. killallposers

Reputations:
    He tells the dude to get his ID, dude checks his back pocket and realizes his wallet's not there and goes to grab it off the seat. Cop shoots. C'mon, there's no defense for that. If he wanted the guy to freeze, he shoulda said so. I MAY have thought to tell the cop I'm about to grab it out of the car, but I don't know that I would've.

11. killallposers

Reputations:
    I get what you're saying and yes, the smart thing would've been to tell the cop it's in the car. But the cop is the one who gets paid to have common sense. Tell the guy to freeze or step away from the vehicle. Don't ask him to get something if you are gonna go nuts if he moves.

Psyche, koclem and abbypark2225 like this.
  12. ApeFace

Reputations:
    I'm amazed by that. It looked to me like the guy made a sudden move. I just listened to it again with the sound on. When the cop says I need your license, the guy really looked like he was hustling into the truck. The fact that they already fired the cop can't be a good sign. He's going to do time.

13. ApeFace

Reputations:
    Good point. In this particular case I don't see the cop acting differently if it was some white hillbilly doing this.

14. killallposers

Reputations:
    Very possible and I'm not saying I think race should be brought into it. It doesn't matter what the races are, I think the cop was wrong. But I had a bit of a feeling that he may not have immediately panicked if it were a white dude that had an otherwise similar appearance. But we can't know and I realize it's not fair to suggest it without evidence of that intention (and there was none that I saw/heard). I do wonder if he's had any other pull overs of a similar fashion where the person was out of the car and license was in the vehicle and how those played out. If there are any vids of him not shooting white people who did this, well...

15. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Why is he out of his truck to begin with. Keys on the dash hands on the wheel = you don't get shot.

reno likes this.
  16. killallposers

Reputations:
    Can't say for sure, but I don't believe he had been pulled over. I think he pulled into the gas station and was getting out of his vehicle as the cop pulled up to question him. Maybe even without his lights on, I'm not seeing their reflections. If he knew he was being pulled over and then got out of his car, that was stupid. But if that were the case, I think the cop would've been telling him to stay in his vehicle. The cop didn't seem bothered by the fact that the dude was out of the vehicle. If the cop had given him some type of command and he didn't comply with it, then it would be a whole different story.

"Keys on the dash"? Is that something you're supposed to do?

17. Phan Neepack

Phan Neepack Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Sadly, that's what happens when the race you belong to commits as much crime as it does.... It's no different than a silver haired grumpy old lady on a commercial flight getting a little more leeway with her boisterous complaining than a "20-something" middle eastern guy with a full beard would .... Statistics are kept for a reason

skylarbrie likes this.
  18. killallposers

Reputations:
    Very true, but that's not something cops can use as a defense. When they take that job, they are agreeing to be better than that. Don't think I don't realize that if race played any part of this, it wasn't out of hate but fear. And don't think that I don't feel for the cop. He absolutely needed to be fired, but unless the dude was permanently impaired by his injuries, years in jail I'm not for.

19. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    You can see him spring out of the car in the first few seconds. Keys on the dash is just a bit of common courtesy that goes a good way in avoiding being shot, I'm not sure if there is an official protocol. It is also a good idea to avoid making cat like pounce maneuvers into your vehicle without first explaining why or at least making sure the officer is in line of sight to see what you are darting towards.

Discharging your firearm in that location was probably pretty shitty considering how terrible of a shot that cop appeared to be. Lucky no innocent bystanders got hit.

20. RenchFries

RenchFries Official Dawgshed Dutch representative Gold

Reputations:
    :owned: