Could Artie be experiencing Dry Drunk Syndrome?

Discussion in 'The Artie Lange Show' started by Gunnar, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Gunnar

Gunnar New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I was talking to my lame-ass brother recently (lame because he has only listened to N&A for a total of 15 minutes after 9+ months of me hounding him about it).

My brother, who has some expertise in this area, says Artie's anger (fighting French cops, lashing out at Will, the twins, Nick, ...) sounds like symptoms of "dry drunk".

I had to look it up (link below) and it seems to fit.

I only mention this because Artie has talked about his additions.

Maybe this is what Artie is going through.

I support the guy and thank him for coming to work every day for us.

Stay strong Artie!

http://askville.amazon.com/dry-drunk/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=7627936

G[SUP]u[/SUP]nn[SUB]a[/SUB]r,

2. jyanks

jyanks Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Could be.
    My ex went through that, and it wasn't pretty.

3. wanker

wanker New Member

Reputations:
    if an addict or alki is not practicng the 12 steps of NA and or AA they are said to be dry drunks..

so ur right on point

4. PelicanBeak

PelicanBeak Shit Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    Unfortunately I have alot of experience in the addiction/alcoholism area. I finally got it right about 15 years ago and life has been much easier and I've experienced a ton of personal and professional success and happiness. I cannot imagine ever getting high or drunk again, the mere thought is foreign to me that it would be even remotely enjoyable.

I was never an Artie fan at all, but I did pay attention to his addiction spiral here and there. The thing that strikes me now is his almost constant drug / drunk / arrest stories and references, it is nonstop with him, that's why I rarely listen to him. I think he's A) not talented or funny at all if that is still his main focus/skill and B) more dangerously, he has not made any real changes, he still looks up to his screwed up days and wishes he could have "fun" in that manner still. I will occasionally tell a funny story from my descents into the abyss, but once I made up my mind to get clean/sober, they stopped seeming funny to me and instead seemed pathetically sad and a waste. He has perhaps (although the Paris incident makes me doubt his sobriety claims) been clean for a little while, but he will likely end up dead if he still idolizes his using years. Just my informed opinion.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  5. Gunnar

Reputations:
    Dude, nice post. However, how could you not be an Artie fan?

GUnnar,

6. JB50

JB50 Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:

How many chances can one guy get and keep fucking up constantly?

I think hes funny and I liked him at the beginning of N&A, but then he gets this super entitled superstar persona thing going and its really unappealing. I think a lot of wish he would just get his shit together.

7. Mlaw

Mlaw Quite Contrarian Gold

Reputations:
    Artie is sober from drugs and booze, still addicted to food and cigarettes, so he's not really dry per se. But he's not in recovery so his addictive behavior still rules him.

8. Gunnar

Reputations:
    I personally think an "Artie with his shit together" would be even that much more funny.

I am not going to follow another Artie Crash and Burn (without a lot of sorrow).

Sounds like Artie has another chance and I think he will make the most of it.

Gunnar,

9. PelicanBeak

PelicanBeak Shit Mult Banned User

Reputations:
    I lived in Hoboken for a number of years, before it was trendy to do so, I saw and heard many Arites in that time, so his schtick was nothing new to me. I also think when he became monied, he turned into a poseur elitist ass with his new money, at least the old school blue blood rich folks have a little class about it. In addition, he changed ALL of his personal views so he could crawl up Wiggies ass even more, pathetic. But probably the number one reason is that being a hardcore addict back in the day myself, he's the only fat one I've seen, it rubs my inner skinny junkie, scoring my own dope and not having it delivered, the wrong way. Then he did a fake suicide attempt to get more attention from Mommy, he can't even be a real addict.

10. sternski

sternski New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    you're not an artie fan because hes not doing it like super duper you?...my informed opinion is you have a pussay.

11. onefourthree

onefourthree Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    To put it in layman's terms, Artie's an addict and a "dry drunk", because he's a fucked up person. The addictions and the behavior are just symptoms of the troubles he has inside him. Until he gets some help or figures out how to heal his wounds (not talking about physical wounds), inflicted by himself as well as others, this acting out behavior will continue. If he is sober, yeah, it would be what they call a dry drunk. You don't necessarily have to go through AA or NA, but there must be some psychological and emotional healing and self-forgiveness to get past it. Most people can not do this on their own. Artie's immaturity and acting out are both causes and symptoms. It's an endless circle. I hope he finds the courage to try to get out of it. It's not easy. He's gotten sober, supposedly, but it appears he hasn't done anything beyond that. This work takes pure honesty, with others, and most of all with oneself. It's something that is clearly not one of his strengths. I think Artie could be a really great person, but he's got a ton of work to do. I can understand why PelicanBeak has his doubts. Artie does not really seem to want to get better.

12. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    That book "Seven weeks to sobriety" suggests that there are nutritional deficiencies involved as well (I think; not an expert)