Could Howard ever turn the show around?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0, Jul 7, 2012.

1. h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0

h89fvh8dfha8hfv9a0 Xavier's water boy Banned User

Reputations:
    What would it take to regain his dignity and fanbase?

2. Chimney Portions

Chimney Portions I drink cum Banned User

Reputations:
    If the next show had an hour long Beet segment followed by Gilbert who'd sit in for the news, I'd be happy.

If he truly wanted to, he could turn the show around. There'd always be people bitching, but you'd see the composition of the threads and replies at Dawg's changing to a more positive note. The odd thing is that Howard wouldn't even need to change...he'd just have to be a smaller part of his own show.

3. La Flama Blanca

La Flama Blanca Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I believe the casual fan has just stopped listening and wouldn't take notice that the show has changed for the better. IMO Howard has turned into the person he always was or wanted to be.
    The rants were always out of jealousy.

4. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No, but he could run a "This Day In Howard Stern History" on 101 (or the 102 that never materialized) - unedited and whitewashed.

That's the best I can hope for at this point. A "Classic Rewind" channel for THSS.

5. potroast

potroast Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard is fifteen moves ahead of us. This is all part of the Master Plan.

6. Afganistand

Afganistand Motivationally Deficient VIP

Reputations:

Slow build

7. Brokenbad

Brokenbad Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I think he knows he could turn everything around in two months. His "as a matter of fact Robin" tone of voice, a little self depreciation humor, making a big deal about working an extra day now and then, taking up a new hobby (like maybe...RADIO.....) and we'll be all eating out of his hand. Thats OK I guess because it will be entertaining/funny.

8. Beth143nacho

Beth143nacho Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Howard stern's career is a corpse.

Any radio show is built on fan base. Without the fans, you're toast. At this point, any long-time fans are long gone with absolutely no hope of returning.

At first, it was the empty promises. Almost an entire year filled with nothing but promises. Lots of talk about what the revolution would look like, how much better things would be without the FCC and with total creative control of two whole channels! Only to lead up to a cliffhanger that was less entertaining than getting circumcised.

Then, it was the showbiz unions. Howard stern was completely black listed by the actors unions. He was starting a new medium that wasn't part of the existing radio industry set up to funnel money into their pockets. Guests that went on Sirius would find themselves suddenly unable to be booked on traditional medium shows. Howard's show took a hit, and the excuses started. "we like a more intimate setting, robin" became the mantra.

In conjunction with the union fiasco, there was the lack of demand for Howard. Not only did guests need to put up with the bullshit of being asked if they like anal, how big their cocks were, or other dumbass questions that they don't have to answer on the today show. But now they had to cross a union picket line to do so? I'd imagine that Gary got a lot of "fuck that shit" as answers to why he could no longer get guests.

Soon, they just stopped trying to get relevant guests. There weren't people willing to go on the show and that which was considered a-list was changing. No longer were there rockers on the a-list, but now there were tons of rappers and other folks that Howard never understood and vice versa. Gary managed to put together a gaggle of guests that would bother to show up periodically and then (literally) just fell asleep on the job.

Then came the lies. The revolution being a failure after a year gave way to the audience being tricked into a merger that eventually paved the way for higher prices. The equipment fell apart and howie (being the face of Sirius) took some more heat. Howie just kept on pouring on the bullshit.

Then came the lawsuit.... This hit Howard's legacy hard. With the contract being exposed in the public domain, all the bullshit was in the limelight. Those 4/day work weeks? Set up from the beginning. All those subscription bonuses... Howard could no longer be trusted.

Then came the wife... Omfg if there was ever someone that wanted so badly to be famous yet failed so fucking hard... A voice and persona that is so grating thanks it makes you beg for a chick with braces anda steel wool tongue to give you a blow job just to ease the pain.

Then came the wack pack. Basically a bunch of deadbeat leeches on society in search of the next handout.

Then came the piss...

Then came agt...

Then came the nuevo riche...

Then came the irrelevance...

Then came the scarf...

Then came the disconnect with common life...

Then came Howard Allen madoff...

Then came the excuses...

Then came colon Powell...

Hes too far gone.

9. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Hiring a a real comedian as a writer or third chair to fill the Artie/Jackie role and stopping all the AGT talk would go a long way to improve the show. Of course at this point I doubt that many people would notice.

10. BrerJimmy

BrerJimmy Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, the comedian he would hire is Jeff Dunham and his cast of characters.

Even then he'd have to censor his racist jalepeno and overly stereotypical muslim.

Warning: The views of Jeff Dunham and his puppets do not necessarily represent the opinions of the Howard Stern show. If you are black, Howard has never used the word "Reggie" and if you are gay, Wiggy will gladly suck your gaydick for press. Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  11. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    No it's too late, he has done too much damage.

12. Mulletude

Mulletude I'm Big In The Hate Club, Ya Know VIP

Reputations:
    Probably about as much chance as there was that Bill Cosby's "Kids Say the Darndest Things" would breathe life into that old show. Or the new "Dallas". Howchie caught lightning in a bottle and it lasted for years. But now it's just not there anymore. It'll never be the same. But more Gilbert sure would be noice.

13. Big Biscuit

Big Biscuit Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I don't see it, Howard actually sounds sincere (albeit delusional) when he talks about the show being "better than ever" and that's a big problem. Let's face it, FU money changes more celebrities for the worst than it does for the better. He has none of the fire of the underdog or the maligned and his bag of tricks has run dry. There's not going to be any comeback player of the year award for Howchie.

14. DogStar69

DogStar69 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I'm actually really glad he has made no effort to improve the show. If he did he may win back a pissy fan or two.

15. Murcielago

Murcielago Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

Reputations:
    About as likely as Brett Favre returning to QB in Green Bay.

16. Howard Stork

Howard Stork "Big Nosed and Jewish"

Reputations:

This. :thumbup2:

17. Rocinante

Rocinante Well-Endowed Member Gold

Reputations:
    He will never turn the show around because of:

1). His age
    2). Too many years in psychoanalysis (this can actually hurt you)
    3). Being married to Beth
    4). Being too comfortable and rich

18. gayandloud

gayandloud New Member

Reputations:
    This, and being to cheap/lazy/comfortable to put a comedian in the Jackie chair.

Howard's like Brian Wilson during his Eugene Landy period.

19. HypocriteHowie

HypocriteHowie Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It would be like trying to turn a car around -after it has already been driven off a cliff.

20. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    This, plus being too cheap to hire anyone talented to join the show.

I also think that even in the remote chance that Howard ends up splitting up with his beloved wife, the show won't get better. He won't slam her (probably confidentiality and non-disparagement would be required from both in the divorce settlement) and unless Sirius XM gives him a big monetary incentive, he's too lazy to put more effort into the show.