Coward: "I'm not a big Who guy. I'm not a Roger Daltrey fan. I don't like his voice."

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by SchwoogieBuzzer, May 28, 2013.

1. SchwoogieBuzzer

SchwoogieBuzzer Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Listening to the 03/01/2006 show today:
    Coward: "I'm not a big Who guy. I'm not a Roger Daltrey fan. I don't like his voice."

From Mark's Friggin':
    Howard came back from break and Fred was playing a Limp Bizkit version of a Who song. Artie jokingly told Howard that's off their album ''Fucking Up the Classics.'' Howard said he's not a big Who fan but both Artie and Fred are big fans. Fred said he thinks that The Who were the best live band when they were all alive anyway. Artie loves the band as well so he got in on that conversation. Robin said that she once met the band and she didn't know what to say when she met Pete Townshend.

Interesting how Coward has changed his opinion on The Who in the past seven years. He sure was lathering up Daltrey's ass earlier this month.

2. Rob0729

Rob0729 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard was on Fred Durst's jock because he would come into the studio and talk about fucking Britney Spears. Limp Bizkit's version of Behind Blue Eyes was an abortion. In fact, Limp Bizkit was an abortion. Fred Durst almost single handily killed rock.

3. TallTyrion

TallTyrion Triggered like a mofo VIP

Reputations:
    That music really doesn't hold up either. That song "Nookie" should never be played in a public place....ever.

4. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Fred is an idiot if he thinks The Who was a great live act. If you consider having your only guitarist jump around and fuck up his playing while the singer swings the mike around shirtless great. If you like drummers who are high as kites and can't keep time because of it, sure.

I like a lot of Who songs, had most of their albums (on vinyl!). But they epitomized the asinine "Rock n roll" attitude on stage that made concerts a hug blob of sound. Other than Entwistle, the playing was sloppy. You can't have one guitar and have that guy acting a fool instead of concentrating on his heavy workload.

The synths sound good because they're a tape:
    [video=youtube;DPiG7HVt5lM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPiG7HVt5lM[/video]

5. LaserT

LaserT You have to have fun. Gold

Reputations:
    Fred had nothing to do with killing rock. Hey, they actually played instruments. These no talent producers today killed rock. They get some young good looking person, tell them to sing into a voice changing computer and then add bass and synthesized sounds. They can't sing in public(lip sync everything) because they have below average voices, no instruments are played at all and every song is bubble gum and promoted to 16 yr olds and under.

I think Britney Spears killed rock but wasn't her fault. These producers from that point on saw a cheap way to make music, they said get young kids and make up a synthesized voice, whore them up for the public to eat up and them bag all the millions that are rolliin in like NEVER before. Small bands and rock bands can not compete with these powerhouse producers and studios and they are not appealing anymore since the producers fucked up kids with shitty music. They believe all this made up crap is music today. JMO

6. cheezedbyfate

cheezedbyfate Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howard likes the black eyed peas....enough said...

7. Rob0729

Reputations:
    The Who were a great live act until Keith Moon's skills fell apart in the late 70s due to drugs. Before that, Moon was spectacular live, Entwistle might have been the best live bassist ever, and overall the band was terrific live.

8. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Fred played a part in it. I was overstating the fact that he single handily killed it. He helped the transition of quality rock acts that studios developed to talentless pseudo rock acts that were style than substance that studios could churn and burn.

Music studios don't want to invest time and money in rock artists anymore. They are happy to have the Limp Bizkits, Nickelbacks, and Fall Out Boys of the world who will hit big with one or two hits and then fade away after that. It is far cheaper than what they had to do for classic bands like U2 who put out three or four albums until they started to hit big and the studio had to spend a lot of time and money developing an audience for them because their sound was unique and not yet mainstream. Easier to put out a generic band who sounds like everyone else which will make it easier and less expensive to get them played on the radio.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  9. racerx

racerx New Member

Reputations:
    i cant even grasp someone not liking the who

10. KShow

KShow New Member Banned User

Reputations:
    :bounce: Mark's recap of a 7 year old Artie joke is funnier than anything I heard on the show today.

11. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    This video was in '73 I think. And even the other Who members admited he wouldn't/couldn't keep time well. He's entertaining, though. Trying to recapture those songs live with one guitarist is difficult. Jumping around bending the neck of the guitar makes the notes and chords go sharp and flat. I prefer "go" to "show". Daltrey mentioned on Stern that they used another guitarist recording at least one song, so the one-guitar sound is limited. The Jam were a great Who-influenced band and had the same problem. The highly critically acclaimed Graham Parker told me directly that that is "one guitar short". I watched the Who on TV yesterday in an early 70's live performance and it was total shit so maybe that's coloring my opinion.

12. Skyway

Skyway New Member VIP

Reputations:
    The Who stole the show at Concert for NYC.

13. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    howard is a fucking idiot who only likes pussy music

14. Rob0729

Reputations:
    You are giving one example. I suggest you pick up The Who Live at the Isle of Wight or Live at Leeds and you will see and hear how amazing they were in concert. Their performance at Woodstock was pretty amazing too.

15. HowieStearn

HowieStearn HateClub

Reputations:
    amazingly a lot of my buddies who are 25-30 dont even know who they are

[video=youtube;PdLIerfXuZ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdLIerfXuZ4[/video]
    wig is a music tard

16. Rob0729

Reputations:
    Yeah, they do. To them, they are the guys who do the CSI shows' theme songs.

17. tHISisKiSSeL

tHISisKiSSeL ♡❂❁❀♡ Gold

Reputations:
    howard is a senile closeted homosexual idiot.

18. MobyDick

MobyDick Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It's also great that Howard liked this travesty, at least Artie and Robin wouldn't back down on hating it.

[video=youtube;uwIGZLjugKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA[/video]