Crazy plan to cover the nation's roads with solar panels raises $1 million

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by Stan Beeman, May 27, 2014.

1. Stan Beeman

Stan Beeman Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Pretty cool article....never happen, but I like the outside the box thinking

http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/26/5751880/plan-to-cover-roads-with-solar-panels-raises-1-million

In theory, the idea could work: replace all the nation’s asphalt with solar panels, and we’d generate more than three times the electricity the US uses. Solar Roadways’ design would also filter stormwater, replace above-ground power cables, prevent icy roads by melting snow, and light up to warn drivers if a moose wanders onto the road.

2. Gitfiddle

Gitfiddle Live Deliciously

Reputations:
    [video=youtube;eieOoUUl9RY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eieOoUUl9RY[/video]

3. Bro

Bro Oligarchical Corporatocracy VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Who needs clean renewable energy? Drill baby drill.

4. HOLIC

HOLIC MADMAN

Reputations:
    Im a realist, that's why I know shit will never change.no one wants things to really change. I realize that there are self serving agendas on all fronts. these eco dudes making it seem so easy....
    I got sparks of what could possibly be someday from that video if some collective minds broke that cycle. but it will never happen (here at least) because it takes time changing and the comfort of the way things are suits people just fine. Why bother? too hard,unreal.impossible. that's the crutch of life but luckily there are some people that don't stop at a wall, they climb it and see what's next and at some point in time somebody will pull their oil covered ostrich heads out of the sand dunes, shake it off and evolve though. just not here.

there's nothing wrong with progressive thinking maybe try and figure a way to make things work instead of naysaying and scrapping the idea. Im sure there are billions of projects and ideas that can coexist and work feasibly better than what we are currently doing with oil. but then again I still find comfort in the fact that someday a series of gamma rays or solar flares followed by meteors, volcanos, floods pole shifts, earthquakes boiling oceans to burn this sucker clean and start over.

*crosses fingers*

5. TripTo My Taint

TripTo My Taint Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    It is NOT a crazy idea. Once businesses start using it for parking lots (and cutting their electric usage down to almost nothing), people will be screaming for this. This isn't future technology that needs to be invented...this is technology available here and now.

The US infrastructure is sorely lacking, and needs almost a total overhaul anyway, but you'll see this adopted first in progressive countries, like Japan, Sweden etc. Electric cars will be able to recharge on-the-fly...this idea will change the world within the next 100 years. You doubters can talk to me in 2114, and I'll then tell you to shit in your hat.

6. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    I love the melting snow & ice part. That would be worth it alone.

7. zingger

zingger Judge and jury Gold

Reputations:
    I wonder how much it would cost to cover the roadways with body lotion :smile:

8. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

Once Google, WalMart, Target, and 7-11 put this to work, it will catch-on like wildfire. Coal lobbies are going to go apeshit, but they won't be able to do shit, once the ball's rolling.

9. BaddFunn

BaddFunn Kick ass fuck yeah VIP

Reputations:
    There's a ton of utilities buried under the roads. Trenching up freshly laid asphalt is expensive enough. There's no way they're gonna start digging up solar panels to replace aging gas lines and fix water main breaks.

10. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

There's SO much infrastructure this replaces, Scott, including treating storm drainage BEFORE it contaminates freshwater lakes and streams, decentralization of the power grid, no more above-ground utility wires to go down during ice storms, elimination of dead-spots for cellular reception...the list goes on.

11. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    It doesn't matter what we do. The damage is done.

How long can you tread water?

12. newcastlefan

newcastlefan גֵּרְשֹׁם VIP

Reputations:
    i float

13. LonghornJ

LonghornJ VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    There's a funny thing about electricity... its really expensive to store it.

14. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    i bet they don;t have to actually always put it in the road bed. i bet it could replace the road shoulders and the road crowns as these areas run the full length of the roads and usually sit on top of the storm drains. this would leave the actual asphalt untouched.

15. TripTo My Taint

Reputations:

Each panel can be replaced/repaired/removed with ease, BF. No doubt it is an enormous expense setting it up, but the money invested will be recouped 10 times over. This reminds me of the arguments they made for NOT making the NYS Thruway...too expensive, not needed. They were supposed to only charge tolls until it was paid for, which was before 1980, and they're STILL charging tolls over 30 years later.

16. Scott

Scott Masshole Staff Member

Reputations:
    They can have hatches and doors. They could actually open the road without digging. Just like a trap door.

17. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    we're getting better at that. new capacitive systems with massive long term capacity. batteries are costly but graphene capacitors are dirt cheap once we get the mass manufacturing ramped up.

18. Capn Crud

Capn Crud The Pride of Cucamonga VIP Gold

Reputations:
    Yeah, when will gas be $2 a gallon? They said all we had to do was drill. It's as expensive as ever.

19. newcastlefan

Reputations:
    its probably tougher to stop charging the tolls than it is to start up. its probably also unpopular during elections to announce that the toll collectors will be put out of work, and the tolls can always be dumped into the state's general fund.

20. BaddFunn

Reputations:
    PRO: 50 years from now we'll develop the technology that has humans using half the electricity than they're using today.

:CON: There will be twice as many humans using electricity in 50 years than there are today so we're all fucked. :mrpeanut: