Crime In New Orleans Going Up....Tourist Shot

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BethSucks, Jan 29, 2015.

1. BethSucks

BethSucks Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reputations:
    Irish police officer shot while on vacation in New Orleans
    Published January 29, 2015
    Associated Press

[​IMG]
    Jan. 18, 2015: Men walk past a sign encouraging people to walk in large groups, in the French Quarter of New Orleans. (AP)

NEW ORLEANS – An Irish police officer on vacation in New Orleans was shot by an armed robber, one of the latest victims in a string of shootings that have put the city on edge as it gets ready to kick off Carnival festivities.

Authorities say Brian Hanrahan was shot early Tuesday in a residential area about 15 blocks from the French Quarter. Hanrahan told officers he was robbed after withdrawing money from an ATM, accompanied by a man who told him where he could get a drink at that hour. Police say the shooting happened at 5:40 a.m.

Hanrahan was listed in serious but stable condition Wednesday. Officers said they haven't found a suspect or Hanrahan's wallet.

The officer's shooting came a day after a 17-year-old high school student was killed on his way to school. Detectives believe the teenager was shot over an argument about a video game controller. In addition, a 29-year-old man was killed Monday and a 25-year-old woman was killed Tuesday in other parts of the city.

The shootings come as police struggle with a shrunken force and an uptick in violent crime.

"The city is not safe," said Tamara Jackson, the executive director of Silence Is Violence, a community group that works with the families of shooting victims.

She said many actions need to be taken — from stanching the flow of weapons onto the streets to beefing up the size of the police department. "We have too many young people who can get access to semiautomatic rifles, AK-47s."

The shooting of Hanrahan highlighted the dangers tourists face, too. About 1 million visitors are expected to come to New Orleans during the Carnival period, which ends on Feb. 17 with the celebration of Fat Tuesday, known in New Orleans as Mardi Gras.

"It's an embarrassing situation" for the city, said James F. McKay III, a chief state appellate judge in New Orleans and an Irish honorary consul. "I'm mortified and angry at the same time."

McKay said he visited Hanrahan on Wednesday and found him to be "alert and able to communicate." He said medical staff were monitoring his condition closely because a bullet had grazed a kidney.

The judge said Hanrahan worked as a police officer — known as garda in Ireland — in the Limerick area and was a father. He said Hanrahan had arrived in New Orleans with his father, who lives in Missouri. His wife and mother were expected to arrive in New Orleans on Thursday, he said.

An Irish restaurant planned to hold a fundraiser for Hanrahan on Saturday and McKay said other Irish groups were giving him support.

"He's away from Ireland and we're the nearest thing he has to it," said Matt Murphy, the owner and chef of The Irish House. Besides hosting the fundraiser, Murphy planned to send the wounded garda shepherd's pie and an Irish breakfast, including sunny-side up eggs, bacon, Irish sausage, black and white puddings, baked beans, roasted mushrooms, potato hash and toast.

McKay said violent crime is an all-too-familiar problem in New Orleans. "I'm not saying New Orleans is the only place where it happens, but it's part of our culture that we need to deal with."

Since the start of this year, police reports show that 11 people have been killed in homicides. Last year, the city saw a reduction in homicides but a rise in violent crime. The police department, working with federal and state agencies, has been targeting neighborhood gangs and attributed the drop in homicides to that effort.

Still, the department is struggling with a shortage of officers. A rash of robberies, several of them violent, in the French Quarter since November prompted the police force to ramp up patrols in the historic tourist areas.

With Carnival parades and festivities kicking into high gear, the city is paying overtime to get more police onto the streets. About 150 state troopers will be on duty as well.

1Vegasgirl and DogStar69 like this.
  2. rolltide

rolltide Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    Interesting that the news reports report that the perp was an "armed robber" and "a man"....that's a great fucking description they NOPD should have no problem finding this criminal.

Anyone willing to do a guess the race with this one.......?

3. BethSucks

Reputations:
    Maybe he ran out of beer again....

[​IMG]

4. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    smichal and Shortwave98 like this.
  5. Imus O Sternsky

Imus O Sternsky VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    That's a tough one. Maybe I'll just go with the percentages.:dontknow:
    [​IMG] The largest New Orleans racial/ethnic groups are Black (58.9%) followed by White (30.9%) and Hispanic (5.5%).

1Vegasgirl, rolltide and smichal like this.
  6. FishySausage

FishySausage Original Nuttah VIP Gold

Reputations:
    I noticed this started to happen a few years ago.
    I always point how how ludicrous it is on the news when I hear,
    "It was committed by a male, 18-35. If you have any information call blah blah"
    Yeah, great description.

rolltide and smichal like this.
  7. blindbella

blindbella Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Well, that was his problem right away. He wandered away from the French Quarter, at night. To an ATM.
    That's a big no-no.

Head Censor, Beths Arab and BethSucks like this.
  8. BethSucks

Reputations:
    You can probably do that in Ireland without getting shot

9. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    It was even worse before Katrina helped thin the criminal herd by decimating all those public projects cessspools... Great city to visit but it's not the idyllic, kumbaya type place that Treme depicted.

Stay safe @Ruffypup

1Vegasgirl, smichal and AmishGirl like this.
  10. BethSucks

Reputations:
    I felt bad for Houston after Katrina, they seemed to get the mother lode of all the NO thugs and gang bangers.

11. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
  12. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Shocking, an Irish tourist getting more cash to get drinks at 5:40am.

13. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    allegedly if you walk off the parade path by one block during Mardi Gra you have a 100 percent chance of being violently accosted by the locals (wink-wink)

Turkeyneck and smichal like this.
  14. reno

reno VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I always guess Pacific Islander. But I'm usually wrong.

Lola, Beths Arab and rolltide like this.
  15. Nemo

Nemo Beer Can Thick Gold

Reputations:
    I know a guy in law enforcement that went down there after Katrina. It is the wild west down there.

smichal likes this.
  16. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    Hell even with a few other people, I've felt threatened walking a few dark blocks from Bourbon St back up to the hotel on Canal. It's a dangerous area.

RenchFries, Nemo and blindbella like this.
  17. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
  18. wigtropolis

wigtropolis Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    zero desire to visit

it would be like playing froggy bouncing from one side of the street to the other to avoid the locals

RenchFries likes this.
  19. OV

OV Rapscallion

Reputations:
    SomerSky likes this.
  20. SomerSky

SomerSky Obsessed with what I hate Banned User

Reputations:
    :transcheer:

OV likes this.