Stern Show Cringe At This Latest Cranky Call Featuring Tape of Young DJ Howard Stern

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by Benjamen, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Benjamen

Benjamen Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Howard was embarrassed to play this phony phone call this morning, because it reveals how dreadful he was on the radio even three years into his career. This was before he moved to Hartford and learned to steal from Steve Dahl.

As you'll hear in the clips, Howard spoke in a slow, controlled whisper to try to make his voice sound deep. You'll cringe as he cracks inoffensive jokes in a soothing voice on his way out of a Teddy Pendergrass record. (Wig Vomit was WRNW's program director at the time, and had all but banished rock and punk from the progressive station's playlist, in favor of adult contemporary.) You'll violently face palm as he enunciates his love of the word blustery ...

Howard was never the manic, high-energy guy dancing to the Ramones who's portrayed in Private Parts.

[​IMG]

This is the first time I've laughed at a cranky call in 2016.

By the way, instead of his usual blaming his high-pitched voice on being nervous, Howard blames his low-pitched voice in these clips on being nervous.

2. YodaQuiversStern

YodaQuiversStern Turn and face the strange

Reputations:
    Sounded fake to me...like Howard recently recorded those sound bites that he claims are old.

3. Benjamen

Reputations:
    Nothing fake about it. Aside from the deep voice, which has always been fake.

4. Princess Kitty

Princess Kitty You Knew VIP

Reputations:
    As you'll hear in the clips, Howard spoke in a slow, controlled whisper to try to make his voice sound deep. You'll cringe as he cracks inoffensive jokes in a soothing voice on his way out of a Teddy Pendergrass record. (Wig Vomit was WRNW's program director at the time, and had all but banished rock and punk from the progressive station's playlist, in favor of adult contemporary.) You'll violently face palm as he enunciates his love of the word blustery ...
    [/QUOTE]

:cwl::lol::backlol2::roll::haha:

Big Fag

Barry Soetoro, SomerSky and Benjamen like this.
  5. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Wig Vomit. LOL.

SomerSky likes this.
  6. Benjamen

Reputations:
    Howard made sure to blame Ben Stern this morning as the reason why he was so wooden and terrible (until he began stealing from younger DJ Steve Dahl).

7. Tracy

Tracy Little Miss Sunshine VIP

Reputations:
    I like how tough it was to talk Howard into playing these old "embarrassing" tapes. "Don't make me do it...are you sure, ok!"

Wigward, Guacamole and Benjamen like this.
  8. Yeahnolisten

Yeahnolisten Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    How come he never plays the tapes of him playing the Ramones? Pretty groundbreaking for such a radio pioneer as Howchie. If I'm not mistaken, that song was recorded a couple of years after he played it.

RoachCoachJokes, Tracy and Benjamen like this.
  9. oski

oski Jump For Cock

Reputations:
    did dad tell him to clap the entire time too?

Benjamen likes this.
  10. Benjamen

Reputations:
    I've listened to this clip a few times today and I laugh every single time.

I love Howard's little joke: "I get lost sometimes. I forget it's 1979 still, I'm still writing 1978 on all of my checks. The bank doesn't like it ... (here comes the punchline) ... And neither do the people I'm writing the checks to!"

EmptyArtieChair, Tracy and Wigward like this.
  11. Sloppyjoe

Sloppyjoe VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    the show has been reduced down to some unfunny bits and howard re-telling the same stories over and over and over and over and over.

small penis
    start in radio
    his dad calling him a moron
    fat shaming himself
    fat shaming staff
    cats
    fear the world and stay inside

repeat

Tracy and Zach like this.
  12. Barry Soetoro

Barry Soetoro Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I remember back in the '90s I bought an unauthorized book on Stern. I was such a big fan. Bought Butt Bongo Fiesta, Crucified by the FCC, both his books. I had completely bought into Stern's narrative about being an innovative, creative rebel. This was the first time I had ever heard of Steve Dahl. When he actually took calls years ago and someone brought up Dahl's name, Stern would dismiss him.

What really made me question Stern's ability was when Jackie left. The show really sounded different. It became obvious that Benji was no Jackie. I didn't take to Artie at first but he grew on me and Stern lucked out. Once Artie was gone, the show became totally unlistenable. He could've brought Jackie back but it turns out they hated him. Stern had completely changed his act. The show kept sucking, getting more & more political. I gave up after Stern gave a full-throated defense of Obamacare (something that won't effect a multi-millionaire like himself). I felt betrayed. That's when I started looking into who Steve Dahl was. It's unbelievable what Stern has been able to get away with. I can't believe I supported and defended him all of those years. He sure suckered me.

Tracy and Benjamen like this.
  13. SouthernListen

SouthernListen I don't follow the crowd. Sorry about that. VIP

Reputations:
    Blustery. He done made up a hole knew worde

Benjamen likes this.
  14. Benjamen

Reputations:
    You must be referring to what I now call the Hater's Handbook:

[​IMG]

I did a summary thread last year: