Crossfit or Crossfat?

Discussion in 'The Howard Stern Show' started by BatmiteReturns, Jan 20, 2015.

1. BatmiteReturns

BatmiteReturns Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    I am trying to decide what I want to do in order to get into shape. I've put on about 20lbs since last year and I'm beginning to sweat just from typing.

What do you guys think of Crossfit?

Yay or nay?

smichal likes this.
  2. chapped

chapped Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    i think most people first need to know

are you a dude?

SternsEgo and smichal like this.
  3. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Crossfit is very cultish. You can get results in the near term, but the long-term on it, maybe not so great. A friend of ours is hardcore into it and she has all sorts of issues with a knee and joints, yet won't stop. She's not achieving the results that she wants yet continues, while the impact of what she's doing is really bad on her knee issue. A marathon runner turned jumping onto boxes and doing crazy stuff.

Just get a good cardio program put together along with some weight components. You'll be fine and you might find it to be something that you can stick with long term no matter where you are. Don't want to spend money? Run. You're working muscle components from head to toe, literally.

4. smichal

smichal A1 Dick Game

Reputations:
    it sounds like it is pretty hard core - lifting heavy weights, etc.

Nikki likes this.
  5. TheLACritic

TheLACritic Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I do crossfit and love it. The two best things are the structure which allows you to finish a good workout in 60 minutes and something different every day which makes it fun and interesting to do. I found myself working out on my own wasting too much time at the gym to rest or wandering.

I think I'm in pretty good shape and also have taken part in some Paleo diet challenges which have shed body fat. The only downside is the cost. Cro$$fit isn't cheap.

Smartguy and smichal like this.
  6. Calloused Shins

Calloused Shins Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Yay if you've got the cash... It's just a high intensity workout. It works just like anything else. I'd look into some form of martial art, popularity isn't as through the roof, prices can be reasonable. Plus you get to punch people in the face. Trust me, there is no better stress buster

Caffeinated likes this.
  7. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Kilroy, OV, Hamster and 33 others like this.
  8. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think it depends on age too. I'm sure Crossfit junkies will disagree, but it sure seems like everything is done fast - leading to an opportunity to injury. I tried to get into crossfit when I turned 48, bit found doing reps-for-time can lead to shortcuts on form and injury.

If you're under 40 great - after that - or if you have existing back or knee problems - there are better ways to get fit - as others have already suggested

joyceface, GQtaste, Nikki and 4 others like this.
  9. Javaforgotme

Javaforgotme Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    Man - you've got that right. Perfect

MrPACS and smichal like this.
  10. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    20 pounds?

Take two shits and call me in the morning.

Sincerely,

Dr. Wayt Lozz

Hamster, Caffeinated, baci and 2 others like this.
  11. GoshGeeGolly

GoshGeeGolly VIP Extreme Gold

Reputations:
    I hear good things about CrossFit. But I think you should ask you doctor if you are a-ok to go ahead on that.
    Or, you could find a hill and walk up and down that a couple of times just to get started. How are you knees?

How'd you put on 20 pounds in a year?

BethsZygote likes this.
  12. RonHeinzkaboot

RonHeinzkaboot Adultophile VIP

Reputations:
    motivation to push yourself is a big thing.
    You need to motivate yourself to do more than just skate during your cardio routines or push yourself with weights or have a goal with weights.
    Some people use marathons to motivate them to push themselves or they pay a personal trainer or join Crossfit or Kickboxing or do a board short competition or something.

I have a friend who watches Jay Coutler videos before every workout, it bugs me because it makes him late every time but it works for him.
    I am dealing with a plateau and I need something to kick me into another gear, sometimes I do cross fit workouts generated from an app from my phone "WOD" or I'm thinking of getting back into riding a dirtbike, that motivated me to train hard to avoid injuries. It would be great if I didn't eat so much. I read an article in the NY Post that said the Biggest Loser contestants workout 8 hours a day to make those weight loss achievements. I work out 5 times a week and I am treading water.

I say if you can afford it, try Crossfit. Everyone I know who does it is obsessed with it and like the OP said a lot of them have injuries though

AmishGirl likes this.
  13. Bri7

Bri7 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Crossfit is great, I started it before getting pregnant, never felt better!!!

TheLACritic likes this.
  14. Thikken Vaney

Thikken Vaney What's everyone looking at?

Reputations:
    Jeeezuz folks... the OP is only talking 20 fucking pounds here.

Some of you are turning this into a career.

GoshGeeGolly likes this.
  15. John Sterling

John Sterling Well-Known Member Banned User

Reputations:
    I think if you said crossdress instead of crossfit, you might get more responses. Just something for you to think of in the future.

16. Fa Fa Fruit Fly

Fa Fa Fruit Fly Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Not NEARLY enough people give thought to long term health - kudos to you for bringing it up.

Friend of mine has done 5+ triathlons, climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, cycles 30 miles 3 or 4 days a week, jogs 10+ miles 3 times per week and does some other stuff. He has nothing but problems with his body... knees are shot, constant back pain, can barely sleep, can't stand up for long. And this dude is not even 50 yet.

To the OP - consider the impact on your body. I used to lift weights 3x a week. Then I started having shoulder issues and blood pressure issues and I gave it up. Now I cycle - trail riding in the woods. It's low impact and a serious workout.

popspot13 likes this.
  17. SlinkyNeckStern

SlinkyNeckStern High Pitch Mike Lookalike

Reputations:
    "The best thing about having a flat belly is always having a nice view of your cock, Robin."

AmishGirl and smichal like this.
  18. AmishGirl

AmishGirl Well-Known Member VIP

Reputations:
    I haven't heard much good about Cross-fit - as others have stated, too many injuries.

GQtaste and smichal like this.
  19. popspot13

popspot13 Well-Known Member

Reputations:
    Great post and one thing that you brought up is worth expanding on as well. Hardcore, long-term weight lifting is bad for your heart, period. I could go to nearly any machine and I could do every plate. My cardiologist told me three years ago to stop the heavy weights cold turkey. My wife and I sat through essentially a Professor demonstrating what was happening to my heart valves and while it might be implied that steroids and drugs do so much damage to the heart, just the long-term heavy lifting can do immense damage.

I've cut back to reasonable weight levels that to many might seem a bit high, but it meets the Doctor's benchmarks. I switched from a 35/65 split of cardio and weights to roughly 55/45 and I've never been in better shape. I don't have the bulk that made my upper body so rigid and I also have as good of muscle definition as ever.

smichal likes this.
  20. DontFlipYourWiggy

DontFlipYourWiggy Member Banned User

Reputations:
    40% of the people who do Crossfit have to stop because of injuries and the guy who invented it is a fat slob. He just came up with a get rich quick scheme that paid off BIG TIME.

Kilroy and smichal like this.